Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He has pulled out of both Washington and Toronto. ?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Murray was planning to play tonight but i wonder if the rain that's happening and another late start tonight and the possibility of 2 matches on Saturday he just thought F it, i've got 3 matches under my belt.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Toronto I understand, but why Washington? The only remaining players who he had to beat for the title are laughable, compared to those who were seeded and got beaten so far.

A bit of overreaction after last night's win IMO.

·
Registered
546 Posts
De Minaur vs Rublev/Kudla SF who would've guessed?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Toronto I understand, but why Washington? The only remaining players who he had to beat for the title are laughable, compared to those who were seeded and got beaten so far.

A bit of overreaction after last night's win IMO.

Because it's raining again and there's still 1 1/2 matches to play before he gets on court and the rain is forecast to last till 9-10pm.

Which means he's going to be playing till 3am again or playing 2 matches on Saturday.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
He played 3 tough 3 set matches right off the bat and he's coming from injury. Good call.
Of course it's actually awful if he's injured again or in pain.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Because it's raining again and there's still 1 1/2 matches to play before he gets on court and the rain is forecast to last till 9-10pm.

Which means he's going to be playing till 3am again or playing 2 matches on Saturday.
OK then, but he could have rested then at least 3 full days before he would have stepped on court in Canada - why squandering the chance to get some more matches under his belt?

·
23,064 Posts
It's likely just a late (as usual for him) declaration of his withdrawal based on his effort yesterday -- IMO he could've maybe tried playing one match today and THEN withdraw and see what's going on, although it is going to be weird just giving a bye to his eventual SF opponent.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
He's playing Cinci so all is good, he's just using common sense and playing himself back onto the tour at the correct pace.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Minor titles like this aren't important at this stage, health and getting matches under his belt are and he's achieved this.

I did think if he withdrew earlier today he might've still played Toronto.

·
The special one
14,033 Posts
No surprises here, I think folk seem to forget that this is only his 3rd tournament back after a year out, great effort from him this week to win 3 gruelling matches after 8 hours of competitive court time, which will be good for his fitness levels. He got what he needed and will rest for Cincinnati and USO where he should be much better.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
I did think if he withdrew earlier today he might've still played Toronto.
My guess is he would only play Toronto with an early loss in Washington.

He just took a WC into Cincy, so will get some matches after a week's rest. That's a good schedule - no sense playing when the muscles are tired, that just risks injury.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Doubt Murray will be fit enough for USO if a rain delay and prospect of two matches in a day is all it takes a few weeks out. He essentially played two tough five set matches(about 8 hours) over four days, nothing too extraordinary. Not adding the so-so way of beating pedestrian opponents(Edmund the exception) meaning his game has ways to go aswell. Toronto could've been a sensible scratch if he went far here, but you don't pull out mid-tournament if things are OK.

Maybe later in the fall he can be a factor. But right now I question whether he will go to New York at all.

·
Registered
242 Posts
De Minaur will be 29th in Race if he beats Kudla/Rublyov, lucky or not, that's some interesting outcome.

Sydney F, three CH Fs and perspective of Washington F - Newcomer of the Year Award will be in his bag if he can pull this off. He's 38th right now, so obviously he has big chances no matter what will happen tomorrow, but still, huge chance in front of 19yo Aussie.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts