Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts
Tournament Name: CITI OPEN
Dates: AUGUST 3-9, 2015 (w/ WTA International level event)
Prize Money: US $1,508,815 (Total Financial Commitment US $$1,753,020)
48 MAIN DRAW & 24 QUALIFYING DRAW

SITE: William H.G. Fitzgerald Tennis Center
16TH and Kennedy Streets, NW
Washington, DC, 20011
SURFACE: HARD COURT
BALL: Penn ATP XD Tournament Select
WEB SITE: Home | Citi Open

Qualifying draw: Friday, July 31, 9:00 p.m.
Main draw: Friday, July 31, 5:00 p.m.
Qualifying doubles draw: Saturday, August 1, 2:00 p.m.
Doubles draw: Saturday, August 1, 2:00 p.m.

ATP Ranking Points
W: 500
F: 300
SF: 180
QF: 90
R16: 45
R32: 20 (Seeds: 0)
R64: 0
Q: +10
Q12: 4
Q24: 0

Entry deadline: June 22, 2015
Seeding: July 27, 2015

1 Murray, Andy GBR 3
2 Nishikori, Kei JPN 5
3 Cilic, Marin CRO 9
4 Dimitrov, Grigor BUL 11
5 Anderson, Kevin RSA 14
6 Lopez, Feliciano ESP 16
7 Isner, John USA 17
8 Gasquet, Richard FRA 20
9 Mayer, Leonardo ARG 21
10 Cuevas, Pablo URU 23
11 Troicki, Viktor SRB 24
12 Karlovic, Ivo CRO 25
13 Tomic, Bernard AUS 26
14 Sock, Jack USA 31
OUT Mannarino, Adrian FRA 34
OUT Tipsarevic, Janko SRB @39
17 Bellucci, Thomaz BRA 41
18 Muller, Gilles LUX 43
19 Querrey, Sam USA 44
20 Estrella Burgos, Victor DOM 48
21 Becker, Benjamin GER 51
22 Johnson, Steve USA 52
23 Gabashvili, Teymuraz RUS 53
24 Pospisil, Vasek CAN 54
25 Young, Donald USA 57
OUT Baghdatis, Marcos CYP 59
27 Lu, Yen-Hsun TPE 61
28 Groth, Sam AUS 68
OUT Kokkinakis, Thanasi AUS 69
30 Smyczek, Tim USA 72
31 Dolgopolov, Alexandr UKR 75
32 Zverev, Alexander GER 76
33 Chung, Hyeon KOR 78
34 Jaziri, Malek TUN 83
35 Sela, Dudi ISR 85
36 Duckworth, James AUS 86
37 (SE)
38 (Q) MATOSEVIC, Marinko AUS
39 (Q) HARRISON, Ryan USA
40 (Q) NISHIOKA, Yoshihito JPN
41 (Q) KING, Darian BAR
42 (Q) PELLA, Guido ARG
43 (Q) SMITH, John-Patrick AUS
44 (WC) Haas, Tommy GER
45 (WC) Hewitt, Lleyton AUS
46 (WC) Jarry, Nicolas CHI
47 (WC) Kudla, Denis USA
48 (WC)
(LL) Dodig, Ivan CRO (replaces Baghdatis)

Alternates
IN Berankis, Ricardas LTU 89
IN Soeda, Go JPN 90
OUT Istomin, Denis UZB 92
IN Rola, Blaz SLO 93
IN Lacko, Lukas SVK 94
IN Bemelmans, Ruben BEL 95
1. Pella, Guido ARG 99
OUT Ito, Tatsuma JPN 100
2. Edmund, Kyle GBR 101
3. Marchenko, Illya UKR 103
4. Gonzalez, Alejandro COL 104
5. Kudla, Denis USA 105 (WC to MD)
6. Dodig, Ivan CRO 106
OUT Munoz-De La Nava, Daniel ESP 108
OUT Bachinger, Matthias GER 109

·
Registered
14,671 Posts
Re: Washington Entry List (updated June 24, 2015)

Allez Gasquet!!

·
Registered
672 Posts

Kokkinakis, Zverev, and Chung all playing DC? :yippee::bigclap::yippee::bigclap::yippee:

It's 99% definite Francis Tiafoe will get a main draw wild-card; he's based in the DC area and received a wild-card to the main draw last year when he was ranked much lower than he is now.

Hopefully Jared Donaldson either makes it through qualifying or gets a main draw wild-card. He's probably more of a toss-up to get a main draw wild-card (though if he needs a wild card for qualifying, I'm confident he'd get that).

Vasil Pospisil (F) and Donald Young (SF) will have a lot of points to defend in DC this year. Pospisil probably had the best run of his pro career there last year; I personally saw him upset Tomas Berdych and in a truly excellent match, come from behind to beat Richard Gasquet.

·
Administrator
18,629 Posts

Great to see that 3 new young players are all getting into MD on their actual ranking :bigclap:

·
Registered
672 Posts

I'm disappointed Nick Kyrgios and Borna Coric aren't playing the Citi Open, though I'm not surprised by Coric's absence. (The Umag tournament in Coric's native Croatia is the previous week - EDIT: Umag is actually a couple weeks earlier, so Coric's absence in DC is more disappointing.)

Among the higher ranked players, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Andy Murray actually plays; I still think he pulls out. (In ranking terms, Murray probably should have played DC last year.) I'm also glad to see Marin Cilic will play; I saw him play in DC back in 2010. There are a lot of solid players I wouldn't mind seeing on that entry list.

I'll be curious to see who will play in the women's tournament. Even though the WTA Stanford event the same week is a bigger event, some of the better (i.e. ranked 10-20) female players still decide to play DC because it is much closer to Toronto/Montreal, played the following week, than Stanford is.

(Disclosure note: I live about 3 miles/5 km from the Citi Open tournament site.)

·
Registered
11,315 Posts

I have got to say that's an awesome entry list. Well done. :)

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts

Surprised Raonic is not here to defend his title. Maybe he will grab a wild card.

·
Registered
672 Posts

Surprised Raonic is not here to defend his title. Maybe he will grab a wild card.
I agree it is a surprise, but it's possible he wants to be better prepared for the Canada Masters (played the following week) this year.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Re: Washington Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated July 17, 2015)

I just saw Citi Open is no longer part of the U.S. Open Series. Anyone know why? I'm assuming it's either because they want both the men and women to have same number of weeks (Atlanta for men is week before, and Stanford for women is the same week as D.C.). Or maybe D.C. wanted the women's tourney to be part of the U.S. Open Series and when they didn't go for it they backed out of it for the women. Either way it shows what a joke the U.S. Open Series is. Look at the great field D.C. got for both tourneys without being a U.S. Open Series tourney. The USTA is a joke and that's part of the reason tennis is not popular in the U.S. They don't help themselves!

·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Washington Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated July 17, 2015)

I just saw Citi Open is no longer part of the U.S. Open Series. Anyone know why?
I haven't gotten the whole story (yet), but it at least partially has to do with the amount of money the USTA requires the tournaments to chip in to promote the U.S. Open Series including subsidizing the ESPN coverage.

Instead the Tennis Channel will be covering the tournament from first ball to last ball and will be setting up an update desk on the grounds (like they do at Indian Wells). They're sending Tracy Austin and Jim Courier (along with the regular TC team) and are putting up giant screens at the Reagan building and another park downtown (near Citi) to host daily viewing parties for fans. They are also sponsoring some sort of lounge for fans in the upper deck to use during the matches so they don't have to miss the matches while they're getting refreshments.

·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Re: Washington Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated July 29, 2015)

Kudla deserves a WC. Better results recently than other young Americans outside of Main Draw.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Re: Washington Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated July 29, 2015)

My pick for WCs: Kudla, Ram, Tiafoe, Harrison.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts