Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
59,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp. More to come?

The decision, made on Monday, will increase doubts about this year’s U.S. Open, which is scheduled to be played without spectators in New York from Aug. 31 to Sept. 13.

But Stacey Allaster, the U.S. Open tournament director, reaffirmed Monday that plans remained on track for a doubleheader at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. The Western & Southern Open is to be played there from Aug. 22 to 28 as a prelude to the U.S. Open, with players and officials operating inside a health and safety “bubble” similar to those being used by the N.B.A. and other leagues.

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
Yeah, just posted about this on other thread. Not surprising. US may very well go ahead but it'll be a very different looking draw and I'd really question how reasonable it is to hold it right now

If Washington had gone ahead it would have encouraged players but with washington cancelled it's going to really raise doubts for them and I know a lot of them were already not happy with the restrictions being talked about.

I'm.honestly not sure if allister is being optimistic, delusional or down right stupid

The thing is they are going to make a final decision by the end 9f July but the EU isnt reviewing current restrictions until August 1st. If that's the case nothing will be different between now and the end of the month. Which means I dont see how the US can expect to play. Tje same obstacles will be there

·
Registered
151 Posts
if they cancel Us Open, they should cancel the rest of the season as well, and start from Australia next year. Also they should come back to 52 active week rankings for sure in order to give some value to the points won in Australia this year( and probably to remove them before WTF next year).

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
North American swing is surely toast.

Looking like Kitzbühel will be first post-Covid ATP tournament, but then again the economics can't be too viable for a 250.

So Madrid? But that's into the European autumn, following Spain's summer of tourism.

Rome? Big, crowded city vulnerable to second wave.

Paris, ditto.

With cooperation, we could have had tennis in Europe now, including the FO. But alas the French Open scuppered all hope of cooperation. And now it'll be cancelled when the second wave hits.

Tennis is run by clowns and this is quite a circus.

·
Your visions will happen
50,035 Posts
USTA still needs the money from USO and "Cincy" so they will do everything to hold it. Citi bank sponsors DC so no wonder they pulled the plug

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
USTA still needs the money from USO and "Cincy" so they will do everything to hold it. Citi bank sponsors DC so no wonder they pulled the plug
Man, a lot of people and businesses "need" the money too. If you haven't heard there is a big recession happening right now worldwide. Why things should be special for the US Open?

·
justice for all
16,816 Posts
The additional problem is the broadcasters are willing to pay less than they paid before (because they are in crisis too) which makes things even worse from tournament organisers' perspective.

·
Your visions will happen
50,035 Posts
Man, a lot of people and businesses "need" the money too. If you haven't heard there is a big recession happening right now worldwide. Why things should be special for the US Open?
They have to have a bubble environment if they are going to do it, like the NBA

NBA had 0/346 positive Corona tests last week

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Tennis is run by clowns and this is quite a circus.
As a person who follows tennis for quite some time now, I'm very disappointed in the governing bodies of tennis, their lack of communication and the money-driven intentions during a pandemic. Such a modern sport, sadly without a modern way of thinking.

·
Registered
59,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MLS and NBA are doing pretty well with the bubble idea....but I've seen no actual signs of anything like that from the ITF/ATP. Surely there should already be planning for that if that's going to happen in August, and is it really going to work at Flushing Meadows?

·
Premium Member
8,850 Posts
They have to have a bubble environment if they are going to do it, like the NBA

NBA had 0/346 positive Corona tests last week
I think USO are running out of time for such. NBA decided on June 4th how to proceed. Players entered the bubble between 7-10 of July, and game will resume 30th oh July. Everyone (I assume) came from the US.

For USO, players will come from around the world. Thus, the quarantine is perhaps now the biggest challenge. Also, with a bubble environment being less likely on such a short notice, infection risk will also be higher. But some of the organizers have shown how to run a tennis tournament smoothly during the pandemic, so a bubble environment isn't a deal breaker. There was a list posted on the Covid-19 thread about infection risks involving different activities, and tennis was very low on the list (risk level 2/10). But there were other things like e.g. travelling which were higher (7/10 IIRC), and are also of concern here. USO will at least need to have a protocol in place for what to do if an infection pops up. If that'll be the case, you probably not only need to isolate the player/person in question, but also some others he/she has been in contact with. How many cases could you tolerate before you need to shut it down...

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Lol, the French Open and the clay swing really fucked the US Open over. The French should be at least fined.

If I were a US Open organizer I would really push to break relationships with the French

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
For USO, players will come from around the world.
So this.

Of course we want to see tennis getting back on track, but I will never understand people comparing the NATIONAL basketball association league with the United States OPEN tennis championships.

Same goes for the French Open of course. I see lots of news items about new corona outbreaks in European countries like Belgium, Spain and France, because people are getting nonchalant. And it's only July...

·
|
15,485 Posts
if they cancel Us Open, they should cancel the rest of the season as well, and start from Australia next year. Also they should come back to 52 active week rankings for sure in order to give some value to the points won in Australia this year( and probably to remove them before WTF next year).
There is no logic in cancelling the rest of the season.
Players need to get paid, and Madrid, Rome and Roland Garros allows them to earn a living.
Nothing good can come from cancelling those 3 big events, plus I think you know by now the French Open organizers would never cancel.

1 - 20 of 199 Posts