1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Re: Washington 3R: Murray def. Copil, 7–6(5), 3–6, 7–6(4)

Say what you want about Andy Murray but he is a brave and tough player. He looked so beatable today. Yet he won, kept believing, basically that's what he did to win this match.
As for Marius Copil, sometimes his tennis looks good, even very good at times, but there is a reason why he is not a top 50 player, he really screwed up a very winnable match.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,613 Posts

all you need to know

Andy wasted 5-0 lead in TB in set 1, fought back, broke Copil in the third off a loose game but was broken back. A good contest, Copil really gave Murray a lot of work, over 50 winners throughout, serving over 20 aces as well. He definitely had chances to win for sure. Murray just more solid in the late stages. 3 hours later victorious at 3am in DC.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts

One of the best matches in Copil's career, shame he didn't win. I am proud of him. :hug:
Murray crying in his towel for like 2-3 minutes after the match. :hug:

·
10,276 Posts
Washington 3R: Murray def Copil 6-7, 6-3, 7-6

Well done Murray!

Crying at the very end!!!

Attachments

·
52,613 Posts
Re: Washington 3R: Murray def. Copil, 6-7(5), 6-3, 7–6(4)

Did he cry because he knows deep down his career is done? :( looks like it to me :( he was in obvious pain, sadly I am afraid he'll never be back inside the top 20.
for me I thought he cried because of how much it meant to win these tricky matches in his comeback considering the circumstances he was in one year ago. He'll probably be ragged and sore tomorrow though.

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
Murray with a giant choke in 1st TB, then recovered well, but not entirely aggressive enough.
Copil gifted a break in 3rd set, then rebroke with vengeance, though he then became a bit overall passive again. It felt at the start of TB that Murray just cannot lose, which he proved by taking 2 MBs after losing his serve at 1st point.

I guess he sobbed so long, because he felt that he could have finished much earlier today, also in his heyday he would have routined Copil.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts

for me I thought he cried because of how much it meant to win these tricky matches in his comeback considering the circumstances he was in one year ago. He'll probably be ragged and sore tomorrow though.
That's another possibility, but winning matches in Washington should not mean so much to him (or well I am not in his shoes :)), I hope you are right about that. But I would not be surprised at all if he pulled out of the tournament tomorrow.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Yep that's what I thought, too. Don't think him crying indicates something bad, at least I don't think so anyway.

·
The special one
14,024 Posts
This was a very high level match imo, both guys laid it all out on the line, that 2nd set was by far Murray's best since his return, both guys played well.

Another win from a set down, jumps 500 places in the space of 3 days, not a bad few days work. His next match looks very winnable too, although I'm not sure how much he has left in the tank, he looked very emotional and shattered at the end, so I don't know much he has left to give both physically and emotionally.

·
52,613 Posts

That's another possibility, but winning matches in Washington should not mean so much to him (or well I am not in his shoes :)), I hope you are right about that. But I would not be surprised at all if he pulled out of the tournament tomorrow.
It means a lot in a comeback phase. Not only the win(s) but the nature of it, overcoming obvious nerves and patchy play, as well as a very game opponent. If I had survived 3 hours like this, I'd be emotional too. Of course people do it in different ways. I did see Kei cry once, that was after beating Milos in that second Tokyo final he played.

·
The special one
14,024 Posts

I think just being out there and competing after so long was the reason, nothing to do with it only being in Washington, I wouldn't read anything into it other than he won a pretty gruelling match.

·
52,613 Posts

My take was the crying was due to him feeling pain in his hip and knowing this might be the end. Hope I am wrong.
but why didn't he cry beforehand or call the trainer? :shrug:

My respect for Murray actually grew after this one :lol: as much as I was cheering Copil to have a big win, this was equally a huge task for Murray. He's still a crazy annoying roach to me, but he can be an adorable one.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
He looked like an injured man there, limping around and looked like his back was bothering him too. . I said it before :hip surgery is not a joke, Nalbandian and Hewitt never really recovered from it ,they were pretty much done after surgery. He is and will be lightyears from his London Olympic form when he beat prime Djokovic who was also in top form back then.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts