Mens Tennis Forums banner

Was Zverev's bad run during ATP cup the best thing that could happen to him?

• Yes, without those bad matches, the German would have felt the pressure and wilted.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No way, Zverev would have at least reached the semi anyway.

Votes: 2 40.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a recent press conference, Zverev said: "Man, it's so much easier to make a promise like that when you're in the first round" referring to his promise to donate all the prize money to the bushfire relief funds, should he win the tournament. He certainly wasn't taking back his promise - the point here is that he didn't have much belief in himself before the tournament. This is understandable, as he only had three defeats to look back to as a preparation. However, at first, Zverev's lead up started off kind of good, where he had a winning position against Alex de Minaur before everything fell apart. From then on, he made an excessive amount of double faults, looked lost on the court, and was soundly crushed by all his opponents. It wasn't mainly the defeats as such (the opposition was decent, or even good), but the way he was defeated that was alarming. Nor himself, nor anyone else believed in him at the start of the tournament.

My guess is that this was exactly what Zverev needed. For the first time since his breakthrough on the big stage, he could play a slam without any expectations on his shoulders. When he didn't feel the pressure from himself or anyone else, he was able to play as if AO 2020 was just another tournament.

So, here comes my question to my fellow MTF-members: Is Zverev's turnaround at the slam level a direct result of his horrible performance in the lead-up? Vote in the poll and/or comment.

·
The special one
14,382 Posts
It's strange that Zverev's having the best slam in his career after arguably his worst ever build up, whereas Coming into a slam in form has had the opposite effect, normally being upset early.

·
justice for all
15,193 Posts
Fed just told him some secrets during this exho tour and he's a different guy ever since.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts