Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Fun shot, but to me the fact he played it when 40-love down on Nadal's serve undermines the claim that it was shot of the year. It was a throwaway shot with no pressure or consequences.

Also, he was caught out of position on the baseline and didn't really have any option other than to attempt this, so again I think that reduces the significance of the shot.

Don't get me wrong, it was a great shot!

·
Banned
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you are right .......with 40/0 down it is more likely you try a shot like this ......still a great shot and an outstanding performance from the young aussie !

·
23,064 Posts
Fun shot, but to me the fact he played it when 40-love down on Nadal's serve undermines the claim that it was shot of the year. It was a throwaway shot with no pressure or consequences.

Also, he was caught out of position on the baseline and didn't really have any option other than to attempt this, so again I think that reduces the significance of the shot.

That being said the way that Nadal usually ends the rally with that shot for the majority of the time and how Kyrgios just casually puts it on play was quite impressive.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts

This is exactly what makes the shot so great: improvisation.

One of the greatest shot i have seen in the last few years for sure.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Indeed. Epic shot!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
So when Dimitrov makes those kind of shots they are stupid, retarded, ugly and showing off. When Kyrgios do them - they are EPIC. :haha:

First of all Brown had a lot better tweeners this season and second it's not Kyrgios you like but the fact he did it vs Nadal.

MTF hypocrisy revealed once more.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
This is exactly what makes the shot so great: improvisation.

One of the greatest shot i have seen in the last few years for sure.
Improvisation can be a positive, but sometimes guile and intention are also admirable.

I think tweeners are sort of in the trick-shot category. Many players attempt them, and they occur quite frequently, and some of them come off, but there is nothing especially remarkable about them.

Again, I loved the shot - really brought energy to the crowd, and to Kyrgios himself.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
This kind of shots are stupid and nothing more.
lol what? Who doesn't want to see something different that takes excellent skill?

Fantastic shot. I don't buy into the whole 'he was 40-0 down'. Sure, he would have been feeling more care-free, but it still makes it a terrific shot. it's like, when a team is down 3-0 in a football game. A player could score a screamer from 40 yards outside the box just because he thought 'why not?' being so far behind.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
First of all Brown had a lot better tweeners this season and second it's not Kyrgios you like but the fact he did it vs Nadal.

MTF hypocrisy revealed once more.
Well of course it's far more impressive to do it against Nadal playing for Wimbledon QF than in some Challenger against world number 200-something.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
Well of course it's far more impressive to do it against Nadal playing for Wimbledon QF than in some Challenger against world number 200-something.
I don't see why. If an amateur player pulls the exact same shot off in what he believes is the most important match of his life I would find it just as impressive.

·
Registered
21,232 Posts
I don't see why. If an amateur player pulls the exact same shot off in what he believes is the most important match of his life I would find it just as impressive.
Yes, exactly.

These sort of comments amuse me. It's often used with the Federer hotdogs, especially the one he played against Djokovic at the US Open.

Anyway, this one is a "fun" shot, but it's not particularly difficult. What would make it a difficult shot was if Kyrgios were to create power and for the ball to double bounce well past the baseline. One thing that makes this shot slightly more difficult for Kyrgios is that he's about 6'5''.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts