Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Uchiyama - Krueger - Berankis - Defaulted Djokovic - Shapovalov.

I've seen more difficult draws in the Challenger tour.
you have to be good enough to get Nole to go into joker mode and get himself defaulted, so there’s your answer

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Zverev had an easy draw as well, if not easier. Medvedevs up to the QF(his QF match is slightly more difficult than DS in my opinion) had a cake walk too.

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
He pissed Djokovic with his frustratingly solid game, thats why the Serb imploded. If he wasn't an objectively good player, Novak would have hardly cared.

I'm devastated with the result as an El Shap fan but full deserved.

·
Registered
27,317 Posts
Being up a break against big Novak in a slam is a monumental feat in itself.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The first three rounds are laughable indeed, but in all fairness, most other players would have pissed away the first set against Djokovic and we would now have a Djokovic - Zverev semifinal, so credit for PCB on capitalizing, although I would have much preferred a Shapovalov win.

·
Registered
19,074 Posts
*Tired Shapovalov

His 2017 Run had even worse opponents though.

Reactions: IBM

·
justice for all
16,784 Posts
Dunno. He still pushed Djokovic into self-destruction mode. That’s worth of at least 2 regular TOP10 players so I wouldn’t underestimate his draw.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Djokovic is losing against him so i say he played very well. We just didnt know the truth of Djokovic's level to judge.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Nadal's route last USO. Didn't encounter a top 50 player.

Reactions: SetPointDown

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Janowicz - Vesely Walkover - Youzhny (retired after 6 games) - Edmund - Tsonga (retired after 2 sets)?

Edit: If we judge based on "names" and ignore the walkover and 2 retirements, then it's pretty hard to call, because PCB did have Djokovic in his pathway afterall.

If we judge based on actual matches being played on court I think mine is easier because it only required two completed matches, against Janowicz using a protected ranking after injuries, and a talented but slightly 'raw' at the time Kyle Edmund.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
They should just claim the top half was in fact the qualifying tournament and we would end up with quite a notable SF line-up as a result.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Medvedev faced one Top 60 player to reach FINAL last year.
The highest ranked opponent Ljubicic faced en route to his lone slam semifinal was #79 Ramirez Hidalgo.
Sampras faced one Top 60 player to reach semifinals at 2000 Australian and US Opens and 1995 Wimbledon, one Top 70 player to reach semifinal at 1999 Wimbledon, one Top 50 player to reach semifinal at 1995 US Open, and one Top 40 player to win 2000 Wimbledon.
Shall I go on?

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Medvedev faced one Top 60 player to reach FINAL last year.
The highest ranked opponent Ljubicic faced en route to his lone slam semifinal was #79 Ramirez Hidalgo.
Sampras faced one Top 60 player to reach semifinals at 2000 Australian and US Opens and 1995 Wimbledon, one Top 70 player to reach semifinal at 1999 Wimbledon, one Top 50 player to reach semifinal at 1995 US Open, and one Top 40 player to win 2000 Wimbledon.
Shall I go on?
Medvedev faced in-form Dimitrov and Wawrinka though.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
PCB didn't 'push' Djefaultic to self-destruction, Djefaultic has a mentality which can make him implode at any given moment. Fedal are far more stable.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
Uchiyama - Krueger - Berankis - Defaulted Djokovic - Shapovalov.

I've seen more difficult draws in the Challenger tour.
You make your own luck. PCB made Djoker lose his mind. The lack of respect for PCB is shocking. Without injuries, the guy would be pretty much in the top 20 all the time. On his day, he is a top 10 player.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts