Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's pretty obvious that Federer's ground game with his new racket is absolutely pathetic. I don't see how his game has got any better with the new racquet. His serve is still roughly the same speed. His BH has got slightly better but it doesn't matter because his BH isn't and wasn't his main weapon. It's not the shot he is gonna dictate rallies with. That shot is his FH which has declined so significantly since the racquet change.

So was the racquet change worth it? I don't think so. I think Federer panicked after a disastrous 2013 and thought the best way to get back to his best was to change racquets when it's plainly obvious that his poor results during 2013 was due to the back injury and not his racquet. I mean, he played decently prior to the back injury he suffered at Indian Wells 13 and he started playing well again during the indoor season in 2013 when he was feeling 100% again and he was still using his old racquet. I think Federer should go back to his old racquet. He probably still won't win a slam but at least he won't be a servebot that he is right now. And yes he is a servebot these days and I hate to say it as a big Federer fan.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Fed is done man. Racquet, no racquet ... does not matter. The guy can play well against Murrays and people like that but against Nole and Nadal, he is useless. I don't care what racquet he uses

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Fed is done man. Racquet, no racquet ... does not matter. The guy can play well against Murrays and people like that but against Nole and Nadal, he is useless. I don't care what racquet he uses
He's number 2 in the world. He just made it to the Wimbledon final, ahead of 255 other players. What part of this is done? Because he lost to the world number 1?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Terrible racquet. NO accuracy on the shots and lots of topsin.

The reason for switching is to stay neutral in rallies at center of court. Apparently it dosen't work unless he has stamina to push.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
He's number 2 in the world. He just made it to the Wimbledon final, ahead of 255 other players. What part of this is done? Because he lost to the world number 1?
Done winning slams and those are the only thing that matter to someone like Fed. Nobody is going to remember Dubais' and Halle wins when he keeps losing slam finals on his favorite surface and gets outplayed so comprehensively

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
He gets way easier power with this racquet. It's been well worth it to stay competitive as he's getting older.
I just don't see how he has got any more power with this racquet and even if his shots does have more power now, it's not worth it as 2/3 of his FH are either long, wide or dumped in the middle of the net.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
He gets way easier power with this racquet. It's been well worth it to stay competitive as he's getting older.
He had way more power last time..with the old racquet.

Don't really understand this change. Its only to combat Nadal who is not there.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Much weaker fh and bh,a litter more consistent in rallies(!?lol)

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Sheeplebuster loyal to the end I will give him that. I said from the beginning anyone who can push Federer can beat him. He is a phenomenon. I will say yes the greatest ever. But no one can go on forever.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
He should switch back to the racket he used against Murray.
Even against Murray, his ground game wasn't that convincing. He had to serve out of his skin to win that match. If he served in that match like he did against Djokovic in the final, he would have lost that match in straight sets.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Gotta love this thread. You read the first page of the match thread everyone was saying how Djokovic couldn't beat Federer, how he had no chance, that Federer was goating, at his near peak...

And now this? Come on! What he did to Murray was absolutely disgusting! He's #2 in the world, won 4 titles this year, reached the semifinals of last 2 slams and you are asking if the new racquet helped him? Get real. The improvement on his serve alone outweighs every other factor. But it helped his BH by a lot, too. Only his FH suffered, but that's more because of his poorer movement due to his age, not the racquet.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Sheeplebuster loyal to the end I will give him that. I said from the beginning anyone who can push Federer can beat him. He is a phenomenon. I will say yes the greatest ever. But no one can go on forever.
I ain't loyal to no one. I still love and respect Roger. But I don't respect this gutless Roger. I respect the man, what he has accomplished throughout his career, but I absolutely hate this miserable Roger in the last 2 Wimbledon finals. He got outplayed in both comfortably

·
Registered
574 Posts
His backhand became more consistent and also became more harmless.It's like wta compare to Stan's BH :wavey:

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
His racquet change helped him disguise his deteriorated movement. However he lost his killer forehand and a player who plays all shots with good depth (as Nole did today) can still expose his severely declined movement.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
0 slams since.

no.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts