Mens Tennis Forums banner

Clutchdal worst moment at Slam?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering this came against young lad who basically had serve and that is about it...Too uncharacteristic lame TBs and missed 3rd set points..Some horrondoues returning on zillion half chances 30-30 in the third...Complete capitulation after getting broken in the fourth (no fire, no self-vamosing :shrug:)

Discuss..

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
not at all. not at all.
Kyrgios was serving insanely well and handling big moments very very well.
literally obviously Nadal's worst 'clutch' matches would be ones where he got blown away and took zero of his chances. there are matches from the past come to mind

Nadal on grass will always be vulnerable to a big server, the lost makes sense, nothing to get too dramatic about

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Lol @ Piggy's moonballing being exposed equaling a bad "clutch-time" performance by said Piggy. :lol:
I almost am inclined to agree with this;

I don't think 'clutchness' was Nadal's problem in that match

he just didn't play the right balls a lot, not deep enough. he also did a terrible job at reading the Kyrgios serve*. these things happen though. no reason to go off the deep end. Nadal was correct in his own presser- he didn't play particularly badly, just not great.

you can't use excuses all the time; Nadal's loss was about technique and ability to read his opponent more than any mental or 'clutch' issues

he had his chances, didn't make the right moves, it's a loss that can be blamed on many things but not a shocking one given the circumstances

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Folks this no R1 OR R2...This qualify as deep in a Slam considering it is R4 played on the second Tuesday of Wimbledon..

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
No, that would be Wimbledon 06 final.
Eh? Yeah he flopped serving for the 2nd but it's not like his serve being broken on grass in 06 was a big deal, and he was mega-clutch throughout the 3rd and in that tiebreak.

I'd have to agree with the OP here. There's been times when he's been comprehensively outplayed in Slams and times where a couple of better played points might have made the difference (Wimby 07, Australia 12) but I can't think of another instance where he was lousy in pretty much every pressure situation and looked like having the mental fortitude to keep fighting in the 4th of Monfils.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
not at all. not at all.
Kyrgios was serving insanely well and handling big moments very very well.
literally obviously Nadal's worst 'clutch' matches would be ones where he got blown away and took zero of his chances. there are matches from the past come to mind

Nadal on grass will always be vulnerable to a big server, the lost makes sense, nothing to get too dramatic about
I AGREE! Overall, Nadal played very well. Nick played exceptionally well. A great serve and hard hitting are great assets on grass.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Obviously, you see Nadal "clutch" standards are pretty high that we can't simply chalk this up to someone serving from a tree in the match of his life (37 aces)..We always expect Nadal to pull through even under such circumstances, hence the thread which might sound ridiculous if any other player was involved..

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Obviously, you see Nadal "clutch" standards are pretty high that we can't simply chalk this up to someone serving from a tree in the match of his life (37 aces)..We always expect Nadal to pull through even under such circumstances, hence the thread which might sound ridiculous if any other player was involved..
it's all in your head and frankly it's impossible to analyze and objectively say if Nadal wins more from being mentally strong or 'clutch', or if its just generally from his good form and technique (spin, depth, etc.)

anyone who watched this match in particular obviously would have to admit that Nick played a huge part in Nadal losing. it wasn't just Nadal not playing his best in big moments, but it was Nick stepping up. because of that there is no way to truly argue what you're arguing

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AO'12 Nadal had probably no business being in the 5st..The Kyrgios match on the whole was a couple or three points from swinging the other way..And Nadal, for the first time, was the one to mug up badly at that juncture of play..

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Haha, weird I remember thinking it was way out in 2012, probably because I was up at 3.am to watch it, but it looks like he missed it by 3 inches in that gif.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts