Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember watching the Australian Open 2012 Final between Djokovic and Nadal and thinking it has to be the most physically and emotionally draining grand slam final I have ever watched. I also remember realizing during this match that Djokovic is even more mentally tough than Nadal, which up until that point I had my doubts. The match was almost 6 hours long and was so grueling that both players couldn't even stand for the trophy ceremony and looked as though they were about to fall over in exhaustion.

·
justice for all
17,942 Posts
Good match but not as great as some want it to be. It’s way overrated and lasted so long only because both players chose to grind in endless and boring rallies and rarely tried to win points via offensive shotmaking.

·
Registered
546 Posts
This or Borg McEnroe W 1980

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
It was fucking incredible.

I watched extended highlights of it again couple of days ago and was reminded of people (usually Federer fans) who refer to it as a pushing exhibition. Of course one at the highest of levels, but none the less, paling in comparison to more attacking minded and deep shot made epics.

I can't disagree more.

The match basically saw Nadal and Djokovic at their rallying and defensive best, aggressive, deep-to-line shots which would normally be point ending ended up in enhanced rallies mainly just because of how good both men were, how well they retrieved, countered...

And the match trajectory is pretty spicy.

Nadal was a point away from 5-5 2nd set, so close to a 2-0 lead, then DF'ed on set point, mainly because of how brutally good Djokovic returned that game and in general.

Then Djokovic takes over, races to a 3-4* 0-40 lead in the 4th set and was twice a game away from winning the match 3-1.

Then Nadal wins the tiebreak and wins 5 of the next 7 games, takes over the 4th set leading 4-2, 2 out of 3 points away from a 5-2 lead, with a missed pass at the net.

Then Djokovic breaks back and breaks again, winning 4 of the next 5 games, and then a 5th, even though at last from *30-0 down, Nadal almost miraculously recovered again, making Djokovic fight off one more BP.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Good match but not as great as some want it to be. It’s way overrated and lasted so long only because both players chose to grind in endless and boring rallies and rarely tried to win points via offensive shotmaking.

Watch this and tell me you still hold the same opinion after having watched all of it

Reactions: Nole Fan #1

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
I remember watching the Australian Open 2012 Final between Djokovic and Nadal and thinking it has to be the most physically and emotionally draining grand slam final I have ever watched. I also remember realizing during this match that Djokovic is even more mentally tough than Nadal, which up until that point I had my doubts. The match was almost 6 hours long and was so grueling that both players couldn't even stand for the trophy ceremony and looked as though they were about to fall over in exhaustion.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The match was amazing,physically most demanding match ever.But both of them had laughably small amount of winners for a six hour match and both had negative w/ue ratio by 10 or so.It is definitely one of the greatest matches ever,probably the greatest for people that like defensive style of tennis.It was a grindfest,but I guess some people like that nowadays.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
The match was amazing,physically most demanding match ever.But both of them had laughably small amount of winners for a six hour match and both had negative w/ue ratio by 10 or so.It is definitely one of the greatest matches ever,probably the greatest for people that like defensive style of tennis.It was a grindfest,but I guess some people like that nowadays.
You went from saying "the match was amazing" to "i guess some people like such grindfest" within the same post...

You make no sense.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
Don't know if it's the greatest ever, but it is my personal favorite. It was incredibly intense and drama packed.

As to the "grindfest" comments, it's called great defense. It's not like these guys were just hitting neutral balls back to the middle of the court all match.

One guy would have control of the point and the other would play great defense and gain control of the point and that would cause some points to last a long time.

On some points the control would change hands two or three times before someone finally was able to put the point away.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
It was a classic but there have been better matches out there. Federer Nadal classics are better due to more variety in the styles.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
It was the last time Nadal was confident to beat Djokovic in AO. He didn´t want to repeat las year when he was playing one of his best AO, until Djokovic in the final , one of the most boring finals ever.

·
Registered
483 Posts
For me it is the greatest match of all time, or least the greatest match I ever watched. 2 absolute gladiators going at it at giving their 110%, with Djkovic coming through thanks to his slight mental edge and incredible willpower. It was an absolute EPIC!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Congratulations! OP, on your first post in almost 3 years. The title of this thread does not sound like a question. It sounds like a statement, and you want MTF posters' confirmation.

Yes, it is, to me.

(1) the match between the two greatest players ever, personally.
(2) the longest grand slam final ever.
(3) the most emotional match ever, personally.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
First took out his main AO rivaI Murray in 5 sets SF foIIowed by the marathon vs the guy who took out the second best ever (Fed) at AO, NadaI. Perhaps Novak’s greatest AO tournament moment of career defending the previous year title of taking out Fed & Murray.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You went from saying "the match was amazing" to "i guess some people like such grindfest" within the same post...

You make no sense.
Yea, why not? Grindfests can be amazing too. As I said it was an unbelieveable physical effort from both man and it had its fair share of drama which is why I can see it being called the greatest match ever by people who like that sort of tennis.

For me, the two Djokovic-Wawrinka matches at the same tournament are way underrated compared to this one.

·
6,747 Posts
You forgot to mention the time between points.lol.
But of course this was an epic battle, and one of Nole's greatest ever Slams victories.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
the most physically and emotionally draining grand slam final
This.

But nothing more.

Wim 18 sf much better in terms of quality,what is more important.

·
justice for all
17,942 Posts
You forgot to mention the time between points.lol.
But of course this was an epic battle, and one of Nole's greatest ever Slams victories.
Great victory - no doubt about it - when you bear in mind he also beat Andy in the SF in 5. But best quality ever? People have a tendency to overrate matches which were long and/or dramatic. Do you genuinely believe it was the greatest match EVER? Even between Djokodal there were better matches, for grand slam I would name: RG 2013 SF and WM 2018 SF.

EDIT: and yeah, you are right, half of those 6 hours was Djoker ball bouncing and Nadal ass picking.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts