Mens Tennis Forums banner

Turning point?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
48,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fed came out last night destroying Rafa. Should have won it 6-4, 6-2. But Nadal as we all know never gives in, and fought back. Roger was close to choking, very close, and that 30 all point was huge. It was a long rally, with both guys trading offense and defense, Roger scrambling like never before, and eventually, Rafa made the error. Then the rain delay and the ace to close it out.

But what if Rafa had won that point? Would Uncle Toni keep the rains away long enough for him to get that break point? Would he have let it rain at all? Would Federer be as clutch to smack an ace if it was 30-40 instead of 40-30? And then if Rafa breaks for 5 all, he has all the momentum. I think it was a big turning point. What says you?

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
Nadal has won the last 5 slam matches he's played with Federer. I don't think so.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
No. For starters, Roger has a winning record on HC vs Nadal anyway. So this result just reinforced the fact Roger is the better player between the two off clay. That was an awesome fighting point from Roger, and his reaction when he won it showed just how badly he wanted to win. But this match holds little importance when it comes to other matches in different situations, on different surfaces. This rivalry is 100% about match-ups.

·
Registered
20,715 Posts
Surely not situation or type of point Fed would have won in the past but for turning the things he was at least 5 years late

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
who cares on it

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts
Yeah it would have to have been at a slam to actually have meaning in their rivalry or Federer's mental state against Nadal. I'm sure Federer is a much better state of mind for the next few weeks since he did beat Nadal, but I don't think it'll really matter the next time they play.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I think you guys are overrating this match alittle, this was just a master series match. It was not the final of Wimbledon.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
bottom line: clay warrior has---on the average---been vulnerable in best of 3 sets foremats on hard courts for as long as he has been playing.

but this time he lost for some additional reasons as well.

·
POWER...UNLIMITED...POWER
5,067 Posts

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
yes. Roger will end his career with a positive h2h against rafa now.

Reactions: MTwEeZi

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Am i the only one who noticed fed actually stuck to a gameplan that djokovic has employed so sucessfully againt nadal? Nadal even claimed he played well and there wasn't much wind in the first set. Fed used a similar strategy at WTF 2011 against nadal peppering his backhand and was also doing the same at the Aussie open and had won the first set and was up a break and then he started approacing on nadal's forehand throughout the rest of the match too frequently.

People argued fed just needed to be monotonous and keep going to rafa backhand which is exactly what he did ALL match long even returing nadals serve to the backhand. One new adjustment I saw is fed hitting many more TOPSPIN forehands curving into nadals backhand on deuce side as opposed to flat shots so nadal could not run around it and thus was able to pin nadal there much more frequently. He also ocassionaly would hit to rafa's forehand but never went to net and instead on the next shot fed would hit right back to rafa backhand which rafa would be on the run and would miss it. This is exactly the way he should play nadal. While he may lose in miami if he plays nadal, I think from now on if he employs this strategy he will have much much more sucess on grass, and any faster outdoor hard courts.

This match really could have been 6-3, 6-1. Regardless, fed learned from australia and is essentially playing his forehand into rafa backhand. Rafa has a harder time hitting with too much pace off his backhand so even if he tries to redirect up the line to roger backhand which is the lower percentage shot the lack of pace will allow fed to run around and hit a forehand more often than not.

fed's got a big decision to make as far as monte carlo. It starts 2 weeks after miami and bc nole is not playing he could get to the finals and gain 400 points just getting to the finals and really pressure nadal into playing all of his clay tournaments and if he even slips a little fed will have number 2 by roland garros and at least a shot of nole and rafa being paired together as opposed to being number 3 he would have to play both to win it while being numer 2 would give him a 50% shot that he'd only play the winner of nole-rafa.

·
Registered
29,199 Posts
It was the single most important point in yesterday's match, no doubt about that.

As for its importance in the future, I doubt it will make much difference. One thing that was obvious yesterday though, is that Federer now knows how he needs to play in order to beat Nadal. He needs to keep constant pressure on Nadal and if Fed has a good day like yesterday, he can do it for an entire match. If Roger's level drops however, he will lose. It is that simple. Fed also refused to pull out the slice yesterday even though he likes that shot - an excellent move as Nadal eats slices for breakfast. Peak Federer didn't play this smart against Nadal.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
It was a turning point until the next time Nadal routines him and from then on MTF is going to commence the usual "utter ownage" crap.

·
Premium Member
21,308 Posts
Well, isn't this the first win over Nadal on an outside court in some years? So, while perhaps not a turning point, I don't think it's just "another win" :)

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
It was a turning point until the next time Nadal routines him and from then on MTF is going to commence the usual "utter ownage" crap.
Exactly. If they meet at the next slam i.e. RG will Federer beating him at the IW semis really have an affect? Don't think so. He demolished him far more at the WTF and Rafa still won at the Aus Open. In best of 5 it's very very very hard for Fed to beat Rafa. In best of 3 he's way more vulnerable and Fed could do it - but this match doesn't make much difference.

They've played now 28 times - would be ridiculous if it took that long for Fed to figure out Rafa. He knows the game plan - every player does - it's just hard for him to pull off. Rafa will still beat him more times than he'll beat Rafa.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts