Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think so. I thought that he was on fire and would claim the slam in 4 sets. That game at 4-2 first set was the turning point of the match. He had been serving so well all tournament and then comes that awful game. And to only break Djokovic once the entire match?!

IMO he is done winning slams. That was his last chance and he blew it.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
He could get lucky but yeah... he ain't beating Nole or Rafa in slam finals. If they lose, he might have a shot

·
29,645 Posts
Yup it's gone. People can say USO but with Novak out of the way after his SF loss to Kei, Cilic then torched Fed (with only he and Kei standing in the way of #18)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Realistically yes. Last year I thought he would improve his ground game for wimbledon 2015, but unfortunately he wasn't able to produce his top level in the final this time. He may have one shot at wimbledon again in 2016, but it would require a significant amount of luck - a relatively easy draw to the final and someone to upset Djokovic - probably in the QF's or earlier. (most likely an off day and someone to serve extremely well)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I think he can win one more. He wasn't too far at Wimbledon. If only Djokovic lost to someone else he would have won it. That simple. Sometimes you need a little bit of luck (like Nole needs at RG).

·
Registered
33,360 Posts
it has been 3 years since he has won one, get over the idea of him winning another slam

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Wimbledon and USO this and next year he has a shot. In Wimbledon he only lost to Djokovic in both finals the past two years and in the USO Cilic was possessed. With Nadal (and del Potro) like this only Wawrinka and Djokovic are favorites against him, and Wawrinka is debatable. Murray can beat him too, but he straight setted him in Murray's best slam and at home. I wouldn't bet on him winning another slam, but I wouldn't rule it out. At all.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Of course not. Federer is a clear #2 in the world and will be in the mix again as early as the US Open in 1,5 months.

·
Registered
498 Posts
How things are looking now, probably. However, Federer's level in 2014 and 2015 has been virtually the same, so he might reach another final in 2016. He'll need some luck for sure, like a premature Djokovic exit. He could still pull a Sampras if his peak form happens to appear during a final, but the odds of that are getting smaller every year. We should also not rule out a sudden decline of Djokovic. It looks as if the man is indestructible now, but decline usually comes unannounced (e.g. Casillas, Ronaldinho in football).

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
He couldn't win a rally from the baseline.

2008 Rafa would have finish this in 3 with double breaks.

Last chance was 2012.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Another one of these threads NID. Anyway I want him to win a non-Wimby slam, preferably USO or RG. He has a good chance at USO if he plays his best. It would have been unreal if he won Wimby, but I am kind of bored with Wimbledon now.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
It wasnt very real chance.

Djokovic is clear # 1 now ( by large margin ) and it would take super-human effort from Federer to beat him in best of five format. Or complete failure from Serb.

But Djokovic didnt fail and Federer was just in his usual Olderer mode .No drama, no surprises, another day in the office.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
No.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
It would have taken less stupid errors from his side in key moments and still a lot of luck cause yesterday Nole was the better player.

By less errors I mean don't miss that volley on the first point after breaking Nole in the first set, don't miss that routine forehand in the third set to hand the break. By luck I mean winning the second like he did yesterday, and maybe breaking Nole at the start of the third like he had the chance to but failed.

If we consider the scenario above you would have a 6-3, 7-6, 3-0 score which give you a good chance of winning. :)

Woulda, coulda, shoulda you know. ;)

·
-
86 Posts
yes it was

1 - 20 of 87 Posts