Votes: 12 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
I really feel for Carreno right now. :|
They should replay the point if going by the rules. And they didn't.
At the same time it was almost 100% Nishikori's point.

What do you think?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
So there is a way to officiate tennis other than the rulebook. This isnt a question of someone’s act or something they said, which can be subjective. This is a matter about facts. If the ball was called out the point is ended thus whatever happens after that is irrelevant. The point should have been replayed and to do this kind of a mistake at a final set tiebreak is just horrible.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
Re: Was PCB robbed at 8-5?

Line judge messed up first, but the ref made the crucial mistake. If you let PCB challenge, you repeat the point when he's proven right. No question about it.

The line judge robbing Kei would be bad, but with the challenge and replay everything would be by the rules. It happened a ton of times.

When PCB challenged and the ref robbed him, it was a very unorthodox situation and caused a player meltdown.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts

he was understandably frustrated but I think the umpire shouldn't have granted the hawkeye challenge in the first place (if he does, and it was a close call, then obviously the result has to be replay the point). any argument detailing the out call putting PCB off retrieving the next shot is nonsense - rewatch the point. the one argument for the hawkeye (+ subsequent replay) is if the call was made substantially before Nishikori put the shot away thus ending the point there and then, but it's close as to whether Nishikori was affected for the BH.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts

Yes. I don't blame him one bit for being so angry.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts

·
Registered
27,182 Posts
He was robbed by a net cord on what was probably going to be a clean pass.

Then he luckbotted with the line judge stinking the joint out with a terrible call.

Then he got stooged by the umpire who chose to not follow the letter of the law.

He then stooged himself by packing it in mentally despite still having an 8-6 lead.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
he was understandably frustrated but I think the umpire shouldn't have granted the hawkeye challenge in the first place (if he does, and it was a close call, then obviously the result has to be replay the point). any argument detailing the out call putting PCB off retrieving the next shot is nonsense - rewatch the point.
I think PCB wouldnt be as mad if the umpire just refused the challenge and would not have imploded. He was overhitting after that.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I think the call came at the same time as Nishikori's shot so you could argue it didn't influence the point.

Then, the challenge was allowed but it seems the umpire "stopped" it mid-way, realising it wouldn#t make a difference whether it was in our out.

A very difficult situation caused by moronic late call from linesman. Just say nothing, if Kei wants to challenge it he can still do.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
I think PCB wouldnt be as mad if the umpire just refused the challenge and would not have imploded. He was overhitting after that.
yeh definitely, the challenge followed by no replay made no sense as a procedure.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Kei was winning that point anyway but of course frustration for PCB in not getting another chance.

However the facts are he was still 8-6 up with two serves coming up. Would any of the top players really have been screaming blue murder to umpire at that point or would they have had a quick rant to let off frustration and then quickly realised the match was still very much on their racquet?

I'd have let it go tbh.

·
Registered
27,182 Posts
Kei was winning that point anyway but of course frustration for PCB in not getting another chance.

However the facts are he was still 8-6 up with two serves coming up. Would any of the top players really have been screaming blue murder to umpire at that point or would they have had a quick rant to let off frustration and then quickly realised the match was still very much on their racquet?

I'd have let it go tbh.
If it was a top player instead of PCB the umpire would have probably replayed the point.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,632 Posts
this is what the umpire said, he allowed challenge but then thought a little and clarified to him "Pablo, even if it is in, it is a winner. Kei hit it down the line". It's technical but the out call came in the mid BH strike from Kei.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
1. Line Judge made a poor call, big mistake but I don't at all think its on purpose, obviously the first man to blame though
2. The out call did come as Nishikori was hitting the ball, the call of out is not finished by the time Nishikori has already hit the ball back down the line to "win" to point
3. The umpire made his mistake here in my opinion - letting PCB challenge. If it didn't matter to the result of the point why let him? I feel like the umpire assumed the ball must have been out so decided to let the challenge happen
4. After the ball was found to be in, the umpire still gives the point to Nishikori, on the basis that the out call didn't hinder his shot and his shot was a winner. Possibly true, in fact I'd agree, but it is surely frustrating to be allowed to challenge, found to be correct, and still have the point go against you.

It was a weird mess of issues. I am not really sure there is a rule that says the umpire MUST replay the point(I think that is just untrue), I think he is free to choose based on if he thought the play was hindered by the call/if Nishikori was hitting a winner. Very weird to let him challenge if that was what he thought though, and a weird line call by the judge too but we see them quite often when the ball bounces off the net cord and onto the line.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I saw it live, and I thought Nishikori would have won the point (and actually did win the point) on the next shot anyway. Also, the out call was late enough IMO that it didn't alter Nishikori's shot after the Carreno Busta's net cord shot.

1 - 20 of 296 Posts