Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The so called 'GOAT' of tennis and that is tennis on hardcourt and grass too just could defend a title outside on clay in the 18th!!!!!!! year of his professional career. Say that about every other player and you deservedly say this is a mug.

Was the Toronto Masters '19 the begin of Corona? Would we have Corona if Medvedev saved humanity?

Change my mind

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
|
15,331 Posts
Slightly off-topic but I think Rafa will finish with between 5 and 7 US Open titles.
Sampras, Connors, Federer have 5 each, Rafa has 4 currently and has won 2 of the last 3 US Opens (retired in the SF of 2018 US Open)!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Hmm, since Federer's 5 consecutive titles (04-05-06-07-08), the US Open has no more boss assuming defending champion.
Which was rare before 2008.
-Sampras 5 titles, defends 95-96.
-Connors 5 titles, defends 82-83 (on hard), 74 grass, 76 har-tru, 78 hard.
-Lendl 3 titles (85-86-87)... and.. seriously.. 8 finals in a row.. 82-89
Mc 4 titles, defends (79-80-81)
Even Rafter with 2 titles (97-98).

Times have changed but Nadal has never defended slam outside clay.

This can happen this year with a very favorable situation but not sure to have a third novice "partner" after Anderson and Medvedev ...

·
|
15,331 Posts
But what is the relevance of defending a slam off clay?
A real achievement would be winning US Opens 9 years apart (Rafa's first was 2010, Rafa's most recent was 2019).
Defending a slam off clay is not even an achievement, its just a trivial piece of information.

Its especially irrelevant to Rafa because he didn't play the US Open in 2012 and 2014, so its a given that he'd have less chances to defend titles in the North American Summers.
And he retired from the US Open semi-final in 2018, preventing him from winning 3 consecutive US Opens....
We know Rafa has regular injuries and retirements, so defending titles isn't even physically possible, so its something a Nadal-hater will cling on to....

Above all, if you are going to talk about title defenses, you can't leave out clay.
Excluding clay from a stat, is a desperate move, especially when you consider that clay has been around forever, and has far more historical legitimacy than hardcourt (and hardcourt causes the most injuries so might not be around for much longer).

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Defending a slam off clay is not an achievement, no more an trivial piece of information. It's just a fact.
No more a real achievement would be winning US Opens 9 years apart
Sampras 1990-2002.
Without even quoting Rosewall .. 1956-1970 .. seriously, please.

No more nadal hater here (reductio ad nadalhaterum in all subjects?),
I don't care as much as tardism

I talked about the real boss of the tournament, and about all aspects and with all the respect in a simple reminder of the facts and a global perspective of the tournament., this is not the case here with Nadal, nothing else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts