• Yes : He will go back in the Challengers where he belongs

Votes: 18 41.9%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Djokovic
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Karatsev since beating Djokovic in this legendary Belgrade match (or maybe since his Medvedev win at Rome) has totally lost the plot. He only won 9 matches in 11 tournaments (since his Opelka loss at Rome)

Was Karatsev a flash in the pan, like Jerzy Janowicz ? (he made a GS SF , losing to a Big Four too, he made a Master 1000 final losing to Ferrer while Karatsev won a ATP 500) Maybe retrospectively his famous AO run was a little fortunate. Facing mugs like Mager and Gerasimov, Schwartzman is a inflated top 10 who is terrible on HC, FAA was leading 2-0 against him before choking as he like to do. Dimitrov was schooling him before he got hurt.

Karatsev will need a miracle to conserve his ranking as he will defend in a few months his maiden GS SF.

Will Karatsev stay relevant or he will go back in the abyss of the Challengers where he belonged before ?

·
Registered
62,765 Posts
Weird time to say this after he makes a Masters 4R. He's not gonna be the immediate top 10 player it looked like he'd be for a second there, but he's now quite clearly not a one-and-done guy either. Karatsev would be top 40 even without the AO points, and that's with the COVID rankings and with basically no ATP level wins to defend the rest of the year.

·
justice for all
19,596 Posts
Maybe middle ground: he won't be winning anything big, but will keep a ranking of 40-50 where he realistically belongs, if he can't improve on his 1st serve and consistency.
I'd think more like a TOP25-TOP35 range. He'll still be good enough to get 1-2 wins in each tournament (even with his inconsistency) and he's kind of a streaky player who I see occasionally getting really hot for a run like in Dubai or Belgrade. But I don't see him doing much damage in slams anymore.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
Was Karatsev a flash in the pan, like Jerzy Janowicz ? (he made a GS SF , losing to a Big Four too, he made a Master 1000 final losing to Ferrer while Karatsev won a ATP 500) Maybe retrospectively his famous AO run was a little fortunate. Facing mugs like Mager and Gerasimov, Schwartzman is a inflated top 10 who is terrible on HC, FAA was leading 2-0 against him before choking as he like to do. Dimitrov was schooling him before he got hurt.
Dimitrov just got knackered after 2 hours of play, he didn't get hurt. This happened a few times to him this year, just a nice excuse for below par fitness.

Also maybe you need to ask Gerasimov who had the higher level, Karatse that day or Nadal at Roland Garros?

Karatsev is a new Basilashvili. Even better on the best days but worse on the bad days.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think his ranking will drop because he's far too inconsistent, and his serve needs a big improvement. I expect him to stay in the top 50. It's a real shame because he capable of playing great tennis. I remember watching him live at the Australian Open. He played against Diego Schwartzman and completely dominated the match.

·
Registered
9,782 Posts
I feel like neither option in the poll. I think he can have a solid career on the atp tour - but he simply isn't consistent enough to stay at the top and repeat the AO success.

He's a solid player but was waaaaay overhyped at the start of the year.
Yes. Overhyped, here. Didn't here that in the tennis media/. They were over-hyping others.

·
Registered
9,782 Posts
LOL where are the big Karatsev hype agents on this thread? Aslan the King and Gurketan among others.

·
25,772 Posts
I mean he's gonna have very up and down results especially if he doesn't fix his serve -- kinda like Dolgopolov I feel with some big results but don't really capitalize on some of them; regular Top 30 probably but I am hoping he breaks to the Top 10 if just 1 week hehe.

·
~* Princess Karolina *~
244 Posts
No, he was definitely underranked for quite a while.

I think his current ranking is a good fit.

Even without AO SF points, hell still be top 50. Thats enough to make all major tournaments which In sure hell have a few good runs in next year

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
KING ASLAN is one the of the biggest players on tour, and a legimatel reason why i'm still playing recreationally/semi competitive at 36.

Garbage take/garbage thread.

KING REIGNS

Cricket cap Sports equipment Strings Muscle Tennis

·
Premium Member
29,796 Posts
I'd think more like a TOP25-TOP35 range. He'll still be good enough to get 1-2 wins in each tournament (even with his inconsistency) and he's kind of a streaky player who I see occasionally getting really hot for a run like in Dubai or Belgrade. But I don't see him doing much damage in slams anymore.
Maybe Top 30-35, but he'll really need some better consistency. Not even getting into finals, but at least reaching QFs in smaller events or even R4 in slams regularly. That wouldn't really be too much to ask with his talent, but it's really hard to get why he feels so grumpy at times during matches where he at least should give his best instead of seemingly suffering.
Tbf he has the game to do well even without better serving consistency, but if he starts spraying errors left and right like here vs Hurkacz, then there is nothing to save him in the end.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Maybe Top 30-35, but he'll really need some better consistency. Not even getting into finals, but at least reaching QFs in smaller events or even R4 in slams regularly. That wouldn't really be too much to ask with his talent, but it's really hard to get why he feels so grumpy at times during matches where he at least should give his best instead of seemingly suffering.
Tbf he has the game to do well even without better serving consistency, but if he starts spraying errors left and right like here vs Hurkacz, then there is nothing to save him in the end.
He literally reached a slam semi and won a 500 yet you're saying "reaching a QF of a small event or even a R4 of a slam" WTF Is wrong with you. 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
29,796 Posts
He literally reached a slam semi and won a 500 yet you're saying "reaching a QF of a small event or even a R4 of a slam" WTF Is wrong with you. 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️
I meant obviously reaching slam R4-QFs regularly again and more consistency in smaller events than showed in last 4-5 months.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts