Mens Tennis Forums banner

Was It A Strategic Tank?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have seen at least 3 other foums now and even checked out some blogs. there is some speculation that it may have been a strategic tank. call it the principle of bounded rationality. it was rational to him so he did it what ever his reasons might be.

or was he just ill? he did look pale and appears to have lost some weight.

it might be interesting to see what a poll might suggest here. was it a strategic tank? if so, why? what exactly could have been some of those reasons/

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
i have seen at least 3 other foums now and even checked out some blogs. there is some speculation that it may have been a strategic tank. call it the principle of bounded rationality. it was rational to him so he did it what ever his reason might be.

or was he just ill? he did look pale and appears to have lost some weight.

it might be interesting to see what a poll might suggest here. was it a strategic tank? if so, why?
Please explain to me why the hell he would tank a SF at an AMS tournament? This was an opportunity to distance himself even further in the rankings from Nadal, win his first tournament of they year, and above all, prove that he's not declining after all. What could he possibly have gained by tanking this match?

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please explain to me why the hell he would tank a SF at an AMS tournament? This was an opportunity to distance himself even further in the rankings from Nadal, win his first tournament of they year, and above all, prove that he's not declining after all. What could he possibly have gained by tanking this match?

i never said he tanked. there is speculation that he did. my objective was to promote a discussion on this deal and see how people feel.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Not a tank, He has to be insane to tank a AMS semifinal, especcially since he is yet to reach a final this year.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Arguably the dumbest thread ever started. There is no reason for Federer to tank. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
i never said he tanked. there is speculation that he did. my objective was to promote a discussion on this deal and see how people feel.
But having read the speculation, I would think you'd know why people are saying that he'd tanked. They must have some justification for that speculation, right?

(Edit: And actually, you voted "It Was a Strategic Tank" so apparently you do think he tanked)

·
Registered
507 Posts
At some point Federer is going to decline. We are seeing the start of that now. That is all. Tanking here would not be good for Federer before the Claycourt season where he normally only wins Hamburg.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Why do you people keep responding this guy's threads? That's what I want to know...

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But having read the speculation, I would think you'd know why people are saying that he'd tanked. They must have some justification for that speculation, right?

(Edit: And actually, you voted "It Was a Strategic Tank" so apparently you do think he tanked)

i can think of one or two and thats the point of this discussion.

for instance, Fed knows he is not playing his very best tennis right now so why get decimated by Djokovic back to back. it would not be good for his confidence and it may just further accelerate Djokovic`s climb to the top.

Fed knew that since Nadal lost, his lead over him was back up 900+ points so his #1 rank would be safe for now. as it is, the Swiss press has been beating up on him.

he can say--as he has been saying--that he is still #1. he could regroup in time and find his game again and do well on clay and at Wimbledon. the man is not finished yet but probably did not want to hand Djokovic another easy victory. that would have signaled in many people`s mind--as well as his mind--that he is no longer the top dog.

no he can just say that Fish played superb. Fish was top 20 a while back and he did gun down Davydenko and Hewitt here.

he increased his lead. he will gain points again in Miami and he will take his chances at Wimby and at the U.S. Open.

it may have been a very smart move.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
where can i thank this thread?
you see what Djokovic is doing to Fish right now. this what Fed may have wanted to avoid. 2nd straight devastation at the hands of Djokovic would not have been good.

as it is, lot of people are saying that Djokovic is the best player in the world already. Well Fed can say just check the rankings.

watch and learn.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
you see what Djokovic is doing to Fish right now. this what Fed may have wanted to avoid. 2nd straight devastation at the hands of Djokovic would not have been good.

as it is, lot of people are saying that Djokovic is the best player in the world already. Well Fed can say just check the rankings.

watch and learn.
So Fed didn't want to lose to Djokovic so instead he loses 6-3 6-2 to Fish, right that makes sense.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So Fed didn't want to lose to Djokovic so instead he loses 6-3 6-2 to Fish, right that makes sense.

you have to follow the dynamics. Djokovic is the clear next #1. Fed cannot beat him right now as his game and his health has taken a hit.

he does not want to kepp getting killed by Djokovic. this buys him time to regroup and get his act together.

he walked away having his lead over Nadal jump right back to 900+ points so his #1 rank is safe for now. he lost early in Miami as well so he will be gathering some points there as well but he will avoid playing Djokovic until he is ready. for instance, Fed should be in his element on grass at Wimby.

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
It was a great champion who's heart is not in it anymore, certainly not like the old days

winning or losing matches thesedays, he looks like their is another 100 things he'd rather be doing

like talking about his own greatness and comparing himself with other legends.

it'll smack him hard somewhere down the line.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts