Mens Tennis Forums banner

Was Djokovic's Outburst Today The Exact Moment His Warrior Shtick Became Hilariously Camp?

8K views 126 replies 58 participants last post by  bbcbbc 
#1 ·
After all the injury theatrics of the Australian Open, we now get this hilariously over-the-top reaction to Berrettini saving a MP, and then a celebration that exceeded his famous shirt-ripping.

But unlike in the past, when he saved these big outbursts for big moments, we're now getting them at comically inappropriate times.

Let's face it: it's all a little bit camp, isn't it?

#2 ·
Well,it was indeed "too much".But it was fun,true Djokovic in action.Pure emotions and passion!

I fear for Rafa now a bit?

#7 ·
Apparently novak goes a bit nutty without a crowed but if it gives him the spark he needs to fire himself up... go for it

Reactions: xcom and PamShriver
#12 ·
I have to admit, you always came to mind as one of the lucid Djokovic fans here but I'm surprised it doesn't bother you to see a guy kick the sign in, almost launch his racket (after the ball fiasco), and scream to that extent like this.

I really can't imagine posters here (most of whom get offended pretty easily just from written words) wouldn't find this stuff very insulting on an actual court.

#9 ·
Can't say I'm a huge fan of that sort of maniac-like reactions, but if it really helps him that much and he needs to let it out like that, then by all means, whether that's considered camp by many or not.

I do, after all, like personality on court and the fact that not all the players are made the same, but have their own individual ways to react to things, even if strange and over-the-top at times.

As long as a player is not hurting anyone else, he can go out and do pretty much whatever he likes on court imo, provided that he keeps it within the rules. Even Nole does luckily end up defaulted should he go too far.

Above all Nole's outbursts often make me feel like he'll have terrible headaches after them, and I'm actually frightened a blood vessel or a few will burst in his head. But while he's the one taking the risks and providing us all with these (camp-like) shows, he gets to choose.

#26 · (Edited)
But how does it help him that much, given the match is already over?

I guess it could help him for the next match. Perhaps he can go out next time thinking "If I win this, I will have another chance to completely embarrass myself while I am being filmed !".

As long as it doesn't really hurt anyone I don't care. Hopefully he keeps the USO incident in his mind and won't repeat that, although its not easy to control emotions at such scenarios, if it does happen again then he is going to pay the consequences (like he did last year)but for the majority I don't mind.
As for the shouting and some of the "crazy" behavior, I actually like it. I do enjoy some drama and over the top reactions on court. I find nadals celebrations great too. Players can celebrate and show emotions however they want (again, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone).
I think when people cringe, it might count as emotionally 'hurt' just a little.

Let's be real here, Djokovic is batshit crazy.

I'm shitting my pants right now in my bed, fearing crazy Djokovic will show up and will send me to hell with his cringe gestures of love.

Hold me, people!

#18 ·
Strange indeed. I wonder why he does it. Could it really be spontaneous and authentic? If not, then why does he do it?

My guess is he likes to see himself and give himself this image of a warrior overcoming immense adversity to triumph....
But it could be authentic, or it could have some other motives. Is it directed at Nadal somehow?

Either way it makes it interesting

#27 ·
He has nothing to lose. He’s just mad that he went passive against a decent man and great ball basher.
I prefer this anger more than the butt kissing on Fedal which looked pitiful.
Look what happened last year. Djoker was truly insane and he wasn’t “hysterical.” He remembers very well.

#33 · (Edited)
Am I the only one who doesn't know what the fuck camp means?

Thought I was the only one, phew

Point is, Djokovic is a beast, a gladiator, a warrior, who fights hard to be the best, to be the GOAT

#29 ·
I LOVE IT!!!

By the way this was more phycological mind games for the next encounter with Nadal than anything. He's letting Nadal know it's going to be a all out war in the semis

#30 · (Edited)
I like over the top celebrations if they are NOT directed towards the opponent. (This one was clearly not, as he was doing it turning towards his camp.)
To fire himself up, what does it mean in this context? Don't you see the obsession for winning here, there and everywhere?
Djokovic has been showing some internal secret messages by these shenanigans for his own camp, that this behavior is termed as "camp" by many Westerners, he does NOT bother.

Those who are not even able to interpret those as such, cannot be helped. Of course it would appear as "weird" for the outside world, that is for everybody outside his own close circle.

#37 ·
I like over the top celebrations if they are NOT directed towards the opponent. (This one was clearly not, as he was doing it turning towards his camp.)
To fire himself up, what does it mean in this context? Don't you see the obsession for winning here, there and everywhere?
Djokovic has been showing some internal secret messages by these shenanigans for his own camp, that this behavior is termed as "camp" by many Westerners, he does NOT bother.

Those who are not even able to interpret those as such, cannot be helped. Of course it would appear as "weird" for the outside world, that is for everybody outside his own close circle.
Says the man who also said:

Nadal was facing his camp while performing that celebration - yet, it was labelled as "fucking disgusting" by you. You are quite the eternal hypocrite, mate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.