Mens Tennis Forums banner

81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
The whole 'real man' performance thing which is so comical especially from a relatively effete sport like tennis on top of everything else.

What's next? Alpine skiers walk up to rivals and scream in their faces for daring to perform a really good slalom? Golfers bend their clubs right in front of their rivals after they make a great shot?

A certain kind of younger male who thinks aggression is almost never out of place as an emotion is more likely to find this kind of performance (and it is performance) more appealing than all other groups.
There is a time an place for this and it's called the WWE. There it's controlled and therefore entertaining in a slapstick kind of way.

·
25,062 Posts
The whole 'real man' performance thing which is so comical especially from a relatively effete sport like tennis on top of everything else.
I thought it was with the steroetopye, but MAN, I don't know which sport is as exhausting physically and mentally now, gladiator-like like modern tennis -- were getting a lot of "intimidating" personalities as of late, especially as the physical needs of the game is increasing and heights and also increasing.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
I thought it was with the steroetopye, but MAN, I don't know which sport is as exhausting physically and mentally now, gladiator-like like modern tennis -- were getting a lot of "intimidating" personalities as of late, especially as the physical needs of the game is increasing and heights and also increasing.
Tennis is a great and very physical sport in its own way but it makes me laugh a little when I think of actual 'gladiatorial' sports like Greco Roman wrestling or judo where athletes don't need to play act how 'gladiatorial' they are; they just rip you to pieces and walk away.

·
God loves a trier
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
There is a time an place for this and it's called the WWE. There it's controlled and therefore entertaining in a slapstick kind of way.
One of the funniest episodes in recent sporting history was watching loudmouth Conor McGregor, top practitioner of a pseudo-combat circus sport, getting his head punched in by a taciturn 40-year-old Floyd Mayweather.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Nobody cares. Nobody even pays attention to him unless he does something controversial.
So true. No one pays attention to him, unless of course he hits a lines woman with a ball and then expects the tournament director not to default him because he is Novak. Totally delusional.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Intensity of reaction is directly proportional to the number of shots he perceives as lucky made by his opponent (anything that lands within half a meter from the lines, apparently).
Seriously, this should be considered hindrance of play and regulated by rules.

·
Registered
866 Posts
One of the funniest episodes in recent sporting history was watching loudmouth Conor McGregor, top practitioner of a pseudo-combat circus sport, getting his head punched in by a taciturn 40-year-old Floyd Mayweather.
Kudos to you for calling McGregor what he is, even though you are Irish. Out of interest, is McGregor popular back home in Ireland? I know of a few controversial sportspeople who were not very well-liked by their compatriots, Juan-Pablo Montoya or Marcelo Ríos come to mind.

However, I can't entirely agree with you. As much as I don't like him, McGregor is no boxer, and whatever the hell he was blabbering about during the build-up to the fight, I'm sure that even he knew he would get schooled in a boxing ring. It was all about money, and for the hefty sum he got out of this gig, he didn't mind having his head being used as a punching bag. Even those great at striking (great = in the context of MMA) would have been schooled against an all-time great boxer like Mayweather – and McGregor is generally considered a subpar striker, even by MMA standards. So he was always going to lose against a boxer, as all non-boxers would most probably have also done so.

Reactions: The Federest

·
Premium Member
24,177 Posts
That 'crazy aggressive stare' along with smashing the sign after the opponent played a great point probably has WAY more to do with why Novak can be disliked by casual viewers than some fantasy about a 'clash of civilizations' which I've seen offered on here (a supposed 'clash' which never impacted Li Na, Sharapova, Safin, Dimitrov, Kafelnikov and countless others).

I had no doubt that some people on here, mostly younger males and mostly from a certain cultural background, would find the absolutely manic screaming and smashing a sign after the opponent played a great point to be part of Novak's charm but a lot of people are going to find it annoying, camp or tasteless at best and disturbing at worst.
Here we go again, after your recent valiant efforts to stereotype the whole worldwide Djokovic fanbase you just cannot drop this act. As if Novak fans would be doubtful, ethically wrong etc. while Nadal and Federer fans are some noble audience.
Yet it is well-known that the Djokovic fanbase is at least as diverse as it gets. Certainly not consisting of younger males from Eastern Europe and the lower classes in the West who love machismo above all what you are trying to suggest here.

The Big 4 often used certain psychological weapons against each other and their biggest rivals to various degree. They are also felt as "annoying, camp or tasteless" according to degree of act, personal antipathy towards the player etc. by the other player fanbases.

·
Registered
966 Posts
One day when John McEnroe was acting like a giant jackass, his dad was in the stands watching. One of the courtside announcers went over to Mr. McEnroe and asked what he thought of his son’s antics.

He said something like: “It’s kind of hard for me to watch but let’s face it, tennis can be pretty boring and John just livens it up.”

I guess Nole’s outburst this falls into that category.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Here we go again, after your recent valiant efforts to stereotype the whole worldwide Djokovic fanbase you just cannot drop this act. As if Novak fans would be doubtful, ethically wrong etc. while Nadal and Federer fans are some noble audience. Yet it is well-known that the Djokovic fanbase is at least as diverse as it gets. Certainly not consisting of younger males from Eastern Europe and the lower classes in the West who love machismo above all what you are trying to suggest here.

The Big 4 often used certain psychological weapons against each other and their biggest rivals to various degree. They are also felt as "annoying, camp or tasteless" according to degree of act, personal antipathy towards the player etc. by the other player fanbases.
Old friend, casual tennis fans who like the big 3, see them play now and then and don't know much about any of what we're discussing get turned off by this behavior. We should also note that this activity last night was with Matteo present, not Nadal and not Federer.

No one said anything about 'lower classes' but that was a remarkable association from you. Nor do I pretend Nadal and Federer are 'noble' or 'heroic'; they just don't go over the top to this extent nor do they have such anger issues which get transformed into 'gladiatorial glory' by their followers.

I'm talking about hardcore followers and Novak has some, mostly younger males, who seem to think he's a warrior in service of some crusade which goes well beyond tennis. I think you know well what I mean as you've expressed these sorts of feelings yourself in between holding forth about classless gypsies and Africans.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It’s called promoting a fight

Christ this place is so stupid

You think Mcgregor or Mayweather calling each great sports and constantly complimenting each other is going to sell a fight

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
But how does it help him that much, given the match is already over?

I guess it could help him for the next match. Perhaps he can go out next time thinking "If I win this, I will have another chance to completely embarrass myself while I am being filmed !".
Firstly, I know you're not dead serious here, so props for that, that's an attitude that I like. So my initial reply to you would be something like: Clearly it can't help him, it's just outright embarrassing, especially when filmed, my bad.

But on a more serious note: Some of those reactions of his, the negative ones, were in the middle of the match, and then some at the end, and I was referring to them both there. I can to some degree understand the need for both, even if the negative ones are never such a pretty ones to watch and I could well live without them.

At the end he apparently felt like he won a really big & meaningful match - and after the match against Musetti (the first two sets) he may really have felt like he did, this is a slam after all. I'm not his biggest fan myself, but I still do (try to) understand this.

And I also appreciate players taking their matches seriously, even if that may at times lead into some over-the-top reactions. With the success Nole has achieved, we can hardly blame him for not having the right attitude on court in most of his matches, unless he actually goes out to do something really dumb (like the USO incident and the RG one years before that).

After having won a match that feels like a big one to you, you may need to vent. Try it yourself once, so you'll know if it works for you. I don't think Nole would be doing all this in case he didn't feel it somehow helps him and works for his temperament. He can't be that big a freak after all, or can he?

·
God loves a trier
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Kudos to you for calling McGregor what he is, even though you are Irish. Out of interest, is McGregor popular back home in Ireland? I know of a few controversial sportspeople who were not very well-liked by their compatriots, Juan-Pablo Montoya or Marcelo Ríos come to mind.
Some people see him as a folk hero, I suppose, but lots of us are repelled by his association with Dublin gangsters.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Is this sarcasm? MMA is a "pseudo-combat circus sport"?

·
God loves a trier
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
It’s called promoting a fight

Christ this place is so stupid

You think Mcgregor or Mayweather calling each great sports and constantly complimenting each other is going to sell a fight
I know what it was, dipshit.

But it was still funny seeing him getting beaten up by a 40-year-old retired boxer.

Now, is there anything else you don't understand?

81 - 100 of 127 Posts