Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
in real terms globalisation ensures the answer is no

in relative terms I have no idea, but at Wimbledon at least he used to get mobbed by thousands of screaming(read creaming) girls. Federer though has his uneducated middle class fan base tbf so its close.

·
Banned
6,801 Posts
Сommercial advertising, sponsors, PR managers of 70s were not as strong as now. Maybe even Wawrinka is more popular now than Borg in his era.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
in real terms globalisation ensures the answer is no

in relative terms I have no idea, but at Wimbledon at least he used to get mobbed by thousands of screaming(read creaming) girls. Federer though has his uneducated middle class fan base tbf so its close.

This.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Borg probably was more popular as a hunk-type player. Federer probably more popular globally as a whole, though that is obviously easier now than it was during Borgs time.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
In the USA 70s tennis was much more popular than it is today because the baby boomers, like me, were in their prime and club tennis was big. Now, the boomers are old they either golf or play shuffleboard. Borg was so big in the USA largely because tennis was so big back then. Worldwide, no player has ever been more popular than Federer.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Borg completely revolutionized tennis, opened it, democratized it, made it a mass sport, he paved the way for the multi billion dollar industry tennis has become in the last decades.
Sure Federer is more popular, but the only reason Fed is popular at all is - Borg.
I would even go further: the only reason Fed started playing tennis is - Borg.
Not because he was a Borg fan, but because Borg totally changed the culture surrounding tennis.

I have no doubt that tards will turn this into a pissing contest. Yet this is all about history, evolution, and how A led to B and C.
Borg was a rockstar. He's always been way bigger than tennis.

·
Registered
17,967 Posts
Is that Carla Suarez Navarro and Kim Clijsters standing in front of him? :shrug:
Clijsters is blonde. :secret:
(She is a archetypical Northern Belgian women btw.)

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Women creamed over Borg? I'm a fan but he isn't a good looking dude. His eyes are like 5 mm apart.
What's this post meant to convey?

That retarded Fedtards exist?

Literally every part of the post is random gibberish I've never heard/read before.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Tennis was in its heyday back in Borg's time - Borg, McEnroe, Connors, Evert, Navratilova. Tennis was much more popular - participation wise. Borg was VERY big - given the limited TV and lack of internet/social media that there is today. And to the poster above, Borg was good-looking - still is (this from a female). But Federer is beloved worldwide - no comparison - much longer career, beautiful tennis and better business branding.

Borg was also much more isolated - kinda like Sampras while Fed is open, easy-going, friendly - enjoys the tennis life so he'll be able to have a very, very long career. I do think that the establishment was not kind to Borg when he tried to make his comeback - imagine Wimbledon wanting a 5 time Wimbledon champion to go through qualifying rounds to play at Wimbledon - instead of granting him a wildcard - that still pisses me off. Huge Borg fan here (and Fed fan).

1 - 20 of 60 Posts