1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Always has been, Nole's been steadily climbing the ranks over the years... I remember 2007 he just scraped top 10, 2008 he was 5 or 6, 2009 he was 3 behind Fed and Safin and then up to number 2 from 2010 onwards after Safin retired. Fed's been fairly unreachable the entire time :p

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Tennis Channel had a poll of who will win IW this year. 8% voted for Nole. 1% for Murray. 1% for others. About 51% for Nadal and rest, Fed.

Justin Gimbelstob and Ashley Fisher were kind of WTF when the result of the poll was announced. :rolls:

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
My grandfather still thinks Rafa won 3 slams last year. and he watched wimby and uso final with me. And he does not have a memory problem because of age, he is still young... People just have short term memory and Rafa and roger are sunk too deep in their brains.

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's true. No one has had to work so hard and win so much to establish himself as Nole. No one has got it harder than him. I'm sure a lot of people still see him as number 3. Hierarchies are hard to break in people's minds, happens all the time. But I also see a lot of MTF newbies who have Nole as favorite. A clear indication that he's getting new and younger fans. Good for the sport. :)

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Exactly what Tignor said today.

http://blogs.tennis.com/thewrap/2012/03/keeping-tabs-312.html
—Bill Dwyre of the L.A. Times writes a column on Novak Djokovic, and how he is ... the No. 1 player in the world. It may seem unnecessary at this late date to need to explain this fact to the sports fans of Southern California, but it’s also a mark of how dominant Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal had been. People still seem to be rubbing their eyes and looking for them to magically take their places at the top of the rankings again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts