Mens Tennis Forums banner

1301 - 1320 of 1327 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
46,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,301
Yeah, unemployment is another extreme that can suck all your energy...

Ideal for me would be something in the middle, 4~5 hour working day. The eight hour working day is hopelessly outdated, which research shows as well
At my restaurant I work mostly 6 hour shifts. Today was 12-545, and now have a chance to hit the gym before work tomorrow at 11

I discovered long ago the 40 hr week is incompatible with anything other than said job. And forget about 50-60-70 hr weeks, fuck that

·
Your visions will happen
46,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,302
Some highlights from the other day

·
Your visions will happen
46,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,304
What are the tennis plans for 2020?
I've got a 1200 day plan to save up $40k by March 2023 and travel the futures and hopefully challengers in 23 and 24. If I don't make it to a level I can sustain like top 400-500, probably retire and coach/put myself out to stud some children.

As for the micro 2020 vision, just improve the game, play some challenge matches here and there and get some more wins over college guys. Get the confidence and game higher so that when 2023 rolls around and I finally have the money, we also have the level to make it happen

But it is a $100,000 risk. If I retire tomorrow and just work I will have $100k more saved up by age 45 than if I gamble on a pro career that does not pan out.

Unless of course I use my tennis resume, career high 800-900 ATP or something if I get there, to leverage a job where I make more than I do now. However those jobs are almost all seasonal and in cold ass climates. I'd rather stay in South Florida and coach serious players even if I make less money overall.

Real goal is to have some sort of video recording deal with ITF/ATP where I personally set up cameras at all futures events to bring more television to the lower levels of the game

So that is my vision next 5-10-15 years

·
Registered
11,290 Posts
I've got a 1200 day plan to save up $40k by March 2023 and travel the futures and hopefully challengers in 23 and 24. If I don't make it to a level I can sustain like top 400-500, probably retire and coach/put myself out to stud some children.

As for the micro 2020 vision, just improve the game, play some challenge matches here and there and get some more wins over college guys. Get the confidence and game higher so that when 2023 rolls around and I finally have the money, we also have the level to make it happen

But it is a $100,000 risk. If I retire tomorrow and just work I will have $100k more saved up by age 45 than if I gamble on a pro career that does not pan out.

Unless of course I use my tennis resume, career high 800-900 ATP or something if I get there, to leverage a job where I make more than I do now. However those jobs are almost all seasonal and in cold ass climates. I'd rather stay in South Florida and coach serious players even if I make less money overall.

Real goal is to have some sort of video recording deal with ITF/ATP where I personally set up cameras at all futures events to bring more television to the lower levels of the game

So that is my vision next 5-10-15 years
There's like over 1100 (?) days until March 2023 so I believe your plan is fairly new? Anyways, if you save up $40k indeed, would you be playing futures all around US? Or planning overseas tournaments as well? There's a lot of futures in Cancun, so I guess that would be an option too? $40k would allow you to play for how long?

IMO you can't say it's a $100k risk. You can't think 15 years ahead like that. There's just so many things that can change, too many variables for that calculation to be valid.

We gonna see

·
Your visions will happen
46,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,306
There's like over 1100 (?) days until March 2023 so I believe your plan is fairly new? Anyways, if you save up $40k indeed, would you be playing futures all around US? Or planning overseas tournaments as well? There's a lot of futures in Cancun, so I guess that would be an option too? $40k would allow you to play for how long?

IMO you can't say it's a $100k risk. You can't think 15 years ahead like that. There's just so many things that can change, too many variables for that calculation to be valid.

We gonna see
I've looked into Cancun, its kind of a shit show. I'd rather drive the Eastern US and play futures. If I save up $40k, or at least $30-$35k, I did the math and I believe I can afford 45 futures in 2023 and 2024 to see what's going on.

Well you are right, there are many things that can happen over 15 years, it is not entirely fair to call it a $100k risk, but it is at least a $40k risk

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
We were in the 1st Rd of the PopCon. I didn't even know it until this evening (my time). However, I'm not surprised by the result: 10] Johnny Groove def. Mae 17-12. You know I'm your #1 Fan. Good Luck in 2020! @Johnny Groove

·
Your visions will happen
46,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,308
We were in the 1st Rd of the PopCon. I didn't even know it until this evening (my time). However, I'm not surprised by the result: 10] Johnny Groove def. Mae 17-12. You know I'm your #1 Fan. Good Luck in 2020! @Johnny Groove
Thank you Mae!

Just realized that is happening too

·
Your visions will happen
46,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,310
I don't think with this forum move that the forum is doing too well. Remember how popular the ACC and PopCon were in the past?
Yes MTF is dying with this switch, and just as we were getting back on track after password-gate a few years ago

·
Registered
11,290 Posts
I've looked into Cancun, its kind of a shit show. I'd rather drive the Eastern US and play futures. If I save up $40k, or at least $30-$35k, I did the math and I believe I can afford 45 futures in 2023 and 2024 to see what's going on.

Well you are right, there are many things that can happen over 15 years, it is not entirely fair to call it a $100k risk, but it is at least a $40k risk
Can I for once be in your player's box when you play majors?

·
Your visions will happen
46,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,312
Can I for once be in your player's box when you play majors?
That would be great my friend but not looking past today's shift at work and tonight's stretch session

·
Your visions will happen
46,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,314

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
Groove I hope you are at least a 5.5 USTA now. There is no way you can win big buck playing at a 4.5-5.0 level.

On that same note. I'm kind of stuck at 4.0 level currently and am a kick serve away from being 4.5.... Truly, my game is very complete. I have an outrageous forehand , good back hand , Murray like Lobs, Federer drop shots, Djokovic like volleys..... yet my second serve is that of a JV high schooler.

For whatever reason my body is unable to hit a kick serve. I always opt for a slice serve , instead of brushing up on the ball behind me. I hit to the side, instead of up and over.

Any tips for the kick serve?

·
Your visions will happen
46,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,316
Groove I hope you are at least a 5.5 USTA now. There is no way you can win big buck playing at a 4.5-5.0 level.

On that same note. I'm kind of stuck at 4.0 level currently and am a kick serve away from being 4.5.... Truly, my game is very complete. I have an outrageous forehand , good back hand , Murray like Lobs, Federer drop shots, Djokovic like volleys..... yet my second serve is that of a JV high schooler.

For whatever reason my body is unable to hit a kick serve. I always opt for a slice serve , instead of brushing up on the ball behind me. I hit to the side, instead of up and over.

Any tips for the kick serve?
Kick serve is an oblique and abdominal dependent serve. Slice is much more shoulder dependent. Throw the torso up and into the ball and aim very high over the net and let the arm trail the body. Almost all your force should come from legs and core. Imagine an imaginary arc of the shot from your contact point, over the net, and into your desired zone.

·
Your visions will happen
46,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,318

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
That is Bruce Lee's Tao of Jeet Kune Do symbol. It means Using No Way as Way, Having No Limitation as Limitation. I have it tattooed on my arm.

Also, I'm retired.

Thanks so much for explaining about your Avatar.

As far as tennis you tried and will never have a nagging regret that you didn't try. As much as I'll miss your tennis videos I feel at this point in your life you made the right decision. Good Luck with all you are going to do in the future!

·
Your visions will happen
46,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,320
Thanks so much for explaining about your Avatar.

As far as tennis you tried and will never have a nagging regret that you didn't try. As much as I'll miss your tennis videos I feel at this point in your life you made the right decision. Good Luck with all you are going to do in the future!
Thank you a lot Mae, always so supportive

1301 - 1320 of 1327 Posts