Whats your UTR?

·
Your visions will happen
46,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,282

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Just watch the most recent highlights...is that playsight or just a go pro??

...anyone ever mentioned your left hand to you?

·
Your visions will happen
46,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,284
Just watch the most recent highlights...is that playsight or just a go pro??

...anyone ever mentioned your left hand to you?
Neither, a K2S Pro

Left hand in regards to what? Guarantee I'd heard it or seen it myself, it but go ahead

·
Registered
21,262 Posts
Hey Johnny, remember when you lost to that 10-year-old girl? What was her name again, Coco Gauff or something like that?

Funny how things turn out sometimes....

·
Your visions will happen
46,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,287 (Edited)
Hey Johnny, remember when you lost to that 10-year-old girl? What was her name again, Coco Gauff or something like that?

Funny how things turn out sometimes....
Ha! I knew even then she'd be great. Her demeanor and focus at that age was great. Plus she was training with a coach who I'd already known for like 8 years. I played vs his daughter Tornado Alicia Black who was a top junior and like 400 WTA years before in like 2006.

took a set though right? or am i remembering it wrong. footage needs to surface.
First day she won 6-3 the first set then we switched courts as other players were coming in for training. I won 6-2 the second set and she had to go to do homework and I had to go to work. Next day I came back and she whooped up on me 6-1 4-1 before a rain delay and I made it semi-respectable in the end, 6-4 she won the 2nd set. Even then she had such a super solid game. 2nd serves were constantly landing within very very close to the serve line. Excellent depth, rare double faults, rare errors from the ground, just a machine. Me, I'm 100x better than I was that day, but she is probably 500x better than she was and would still kick my butt.

No footage of that day. I didn't start recording properly until November 2014. Before that it was propping up the cell phone, hanging a camera from a thread on the fence type stuff. Everything in my game is more professional now. That was in I want to say August 2014, bout 5 years ago now. I was working at Domino's, had just finished college. Was just starting to really go down the rabbit hole of this game of professional tennis. I'm still falling through the rabbit hole. I got the next 5-8 years already planned out.

Gotta save money and up level for about 4 more years. One UTR per season. Right now I am 9, rounding. Next year 10, then 11, then 12 or 13, I have the ability to at least try the tour. I gotta have the money. My calculations say it will cost $25,000 for the season, playing 22 Futures in USA, traveling the Eastern US/Midwest, NOT in a van as in previously described plans, but my regular gas efficient car, and sleeping in hotels (best value available of course, you know me when it comes to saving money).

Job I currently have is seasonal. I can save $500-$800/month off season for half the year, and then $1300-$2000/month during the season for the other 6 months a year. If I average saving $1,000/month for 4 years, I can have $48k, just enough to fund 2 years of Futures and select challengers. 40-50 events. Plus I'd have some credit lines of $10,000-$20,000, maybe more if my credit is good in that time. So I could in theory have almost THREE years of tour funds, even if I win nothing. So age 29-33, save up $1,000 a month average, go up 1 UTR/year average for the next 4 years. Then I have money to have age 33, 34, 35, and maybe even age 36 seasons. Of course the more I win, the more I can continue funding my expeditions. I think the first year I can make top 1000, second year top 600, keep making enough to make top 300, and my numbers also come to the conclusion that #350-#450 is around the level where you are able to break even doing this. As in, not lose money (after taxes) continuing. So #400 is a big deal. Above that you can actually turn a profit. So I gotta make top #400 within those 2 years or else I will run out of money and then it's a wrap.

Of course if that does happen, it is easy at 36-37 to admit that and say I did my best and it didn't happen, then I move on. I for sure feel as though I can make at least top ATP 1000 at some point. #500-#1000 career high ranking is enough of a resume booster to get any job in the industry I'd like after my career. Perhaps a nice job in the ATP office in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL? Maybe coaching at a high level academy? Maybe working with live stream partners to offer streaming to all futures, qualies, and top junir events globally? Advocating for player's union and getting our fair share of wages from the Grand Slams? Put a stop to ITF corruption and 2 faced lies? Partnering with betting companies for tens of millions of dollars, still keeping prize money disgustingly low, and then banning a player who bets 5 Euro and pretending to be tough on fixing?

Sorry. Got a little off topic there. But yeah, that's where I am at right now. Next 4 years matter a ton to see if I can even have the game as well as have the money to go after it for 2 years. They say if you don't get out of futures in 2 years you'll never get out. Well, I just wanna get those two years and see what happens.

Not looking past tomorrow's lunch shift at the restaurant. Not looking past tomorrow night's lifting session in the gym. Might get a money match next week. Tens of dollars can be on the line, and the result of course in the UTR computer. We'll see

·
Your visions will happen
46,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,290 (Edited)
Like your recent forehand performances! But the key for you is the serve. So much room for improvement here. Hope it gets better!
Thanks much! I am working on changing up the forehand though. More closed stance. Open stance forehands have caused so many hip injuries. Plus closed stance is much easier to transfer weight. On backhand, everybody can step in with that front foot. But on FH, everyone is hitting open stance no matter what.

So I want to bring back to closed stance forehand. If I am going to play until 45, I need to have the most efficient and body saving style and technique possible. Of course, as you mention, it is all about the serve. The better the serve is, the less I need to play long rallies to begin with

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Johnny if you are in NY do u want a match?

·
Your visions will happen
46,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,292

·
The special one
13,882 Posts
Cool story about Gauff.

I went to read the first couple of pages in your first Groove journey thread, which is back in 2011. One of the comments you made back then in one post was that you thought Nadal's body would break down and give up on him by 2016, tbf i probably thought the same, and yet here we are in 2019 and the guy is still winning French opens for fun lol.

·
Your visions will happen
46,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,294
Cool story about Gauff.

I went to read the first couple of pages in your first Groove journey thread, which is back in 2011. One of the comments you made back then in one post was that you thought Nadal's body would break down and give up on him by 2016, tbf i probably thought the same, and yet here we are in 2019 and the guy is still winning French opens for fun lol.
Well his body has broken down on him many times. What we did not predict was how many injury comebacks he would make

·
The special one
13,882 Posts
Well his body has broken down on him many times. What we did not predict was how many injury comebacks he would make
Its very impressive for sure. A few years back i thought nadal had no chance surpassing Fed, now i think him and Novak will do it. Novak i think is favourite to end up with the most slams at this stage imo.

·
Your visions will happen
46,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,296
Its very impressive for sure. A few years back i thought nadal had no chance surpassing Fed, now i think him and Novak will do it. Novak i think is favourite to end up with the most slams at this stage imo.
Yes Djokovic is the favorite for that but only if he continues winning. If Rafa wins USO then things change

·
Registered
12,812 Posts
I really started to appreciate my pre-work tennis life more in hindsight. It's so damn taxing to play a match after a full day of work, almost unfair if you're playing a student who just chilled all day.
I ll be honest, I play more focused after a day of work. I just feel like I did all I could do at work and then bam go into tennis mode style.

·
Registered
21,262 Posts
I ll be honest, I play more focused after a day of work. I just feel like I did all I could do at work and then bam go into tennis mode style.
Are you doping :surprise:?

·
Registered
21,262 Posts
I am actually earning enough to live a decent life, so I am playing better than when I was unemployed. :laugh2:

But thats because I am a capricorn, All I care is money.
Yeah, unemployment is another extreme that can suck all your energy...

Ideal for me would be something in the middle, 4~5 hour working day. The eight hour working day is hopelessly outdated, which research shows as well

1281 - 1300 of 1327 Posts