Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On his tweeter Page, Jimmy Connors says that the late Vitas Gerulaitis is not in the Hall of Fame. That, to me is shocking, nearly 20 years after Gerulaitis left the building. He was the 1977 Australian Open Winner. Runners up at the 1979 U.S. Open and 1980 RG. Doesn't Vitas Gerulaitis deserve to be in THoF ? Not Cool.

Anyway I have tried tweeting THoF about this twice but it does not show up on their tweeter webpage. Hoping all of you who agreecan drop them a line either their main website or tweet 'em -

http://www.tennisfame.com/

https://twitter.com/search?src=typd&q=Tennis Hall of Fame

Now here's a highlights video I put up a few months ago of the 1981 U.S. Open SF vs McEnroe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS5_FkarRiY

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
so unfair, vitas was a true champion and underachiever. dont know if any dead player was inducted into hall of fame after dying?

·
Registered
21,234 Posts
Isn't Yevgeny Kafelnikov more deserving?

Anyway, I doubt anyone cares about the Newport Hall of Fame.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Vitas was a fine and very likable player who, unfortunately, did not conduct himself in a sensible way. Unfortunately, he died a sad and tragic death, much too early. Still, his tennis career is not HOF worthy, even less worthy than the other unworthy players who are in th HOF.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vitas was a fine and very likable player who, unfortunately, did not conduct himself in a sensible way. Unfortunately, he died a sad and tragic death, much too early. Still, his tennis career is not HOF worthy, even less worthy than the other unworthy players who are in th HOF.

Rubbish. He has the credentials to be honoured. Hell he should have been honoured back in 1992 or 1993 when he was still alive. "unfortunately, did not conduct himself in a sensible way". don't know what you mean by that. One could say on that basis then "big" Bill Tilden should not be as he was a ped.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The main reason he's still talked about in terms of his career is due to the extraordinary number of times he lost to the main names of his era.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's beside the point isn't it. The fact is he won a Slam and finalist in two others. He also represented his country well in Davis Cup. Therefore he deserved to be inducted.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
Australian Open wasn't worth as much as the other slams back then.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
HOF's in general are bullshit anyways

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Rubbish. He has the credentials to be honoured. Hell he should have been honoured back in 1992 or 1993 when he was still alive. "unfortunately, did not conduct himself in a sensible way". don't know what you mean by that. One could say on that basis then "big" Bill Tilden should not be as he was a ped.
I know for a fact that Vitas was treated for a drug problem here in South Florida. He was a good person, but did foolish things that prevented him from accomplishing even more. You have a valid point concerning Tilden, despite his greatness. Sorry but a winnier of a single slam, is not worthy of being in the HOF, IMHO.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know for a fact that Vitas was treated for a drug problem here in South Florida. He was a good person, but did foolish things that prevented him from accomplishing even more. You have a valid point concerning Tilden, despite his greatness. Sorry but a winnier of a single slam, is not worthy of being in the HOF, IMHO.

Again, beside the point. What's his "Drug problem" got to do with what he did on a tennis court. Vitas wasn't the only player who touched recreational Drugs was he ? Hell, if Yannick Noah, Micheal Chang and Jana Novotna, all one-slam champions can be inducted then why not Gerulaitis ? Not Cool THoF !

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Again, beside the point. What's his "Drug problem" got to do with what he did on a tennis court. Vitas wasn't the only player who touched recreational Drugs was he ? Hell, if Yannick Noah, Micheal Chang and Jana Novotna, all one-slam champions can be inducted then why not Gerulaitis ? Not Cool THoF !
The point is that if he did not have a drug problem, he probably would have accomplished more. He was a party man who did not take tennis as seriously as he should have. Also, 1 slam and a few tournament wins is not a HOF career. Sadly, the fact that he had to be in a supervised recovery program at an established institution, indicates that he did more than just recreational drugs every now and then. I agree that the one slam playes you mention do Not deserve to be in the HOF either. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Woulda-Shoulda-Coulda is hardly the point of this topic now is it ? What V.G. actually has achieved in his career is good enough. Why shouldn't players who've one but One Slam NOT be inducted?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Woulda-Shoulda-Coulda is hardly the point of this topic now is it ? What V.G. actually has achieved in his career is good enough. Why shouldn't players who've one but One Slam NOT be inducted?
Question for you.

Are you proposing a one slam direct entry into the hall of fame?

·
Registered
8,950 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks. I'm Not proposing anything. But it does seem like a double standard to me when you have a number of other champions who've one a Slam get inducted in the THoF but not Gerulaitis. I don't think it really matters how many GS a player has won. Interestingly Pat Cash and Micheal Stich aren't there either.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
The point is that if he did not have a drug problem, he probably would have accomplished more. He was a party man who did not take tennis as seriously as he should have. Also, 1 slam and a few tournament wins is not a HOF career. Sadly, the fact that he had to be in a supervised recovery program at an established institution, indicates that he did more than just recreational drugs every now and then. I agree that the one slam playes you mention do Not deserve to be in the HOF either. Just my opinion.
He was miles behind the top players of his era as a player. He could have slept in an egg and still wouldn't have won multiple GS's. He liked to party, but then so did Nastase, McEnroe, Connors, McEnroe, Borg and many others as well, so it's kind of unfair to talk strictly about Gerulaitis' partying, the whole tour was different back then.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts