Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Moderator | PreviewBot
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Andy today won The first ever virtual madrid open living up to his clayray name. In fact he has now won Madrid on Hard...Clay and Playstation.

To the point....

His donating half of his 45000 to NHS and the other half to the player relief fund.

Ince again infuriating the haters by showing he is the nicest guy on tour and maybe even the planet.

Take a bow Sir Andy

Administrator
I guess 201i is still the only season without Andy winning a title since his first then(y)

I did not really realise until I read the news that this actually had prize money. I suspect any of the players would have probably donated it or most of it, kudos to him though.

justice for all
Shame on you Mugray that you didn鈥檛 deliver a golden bagel to dull!
Seriously now - class act by Sir Andy.

Registered
I did not really realise until I read the news that this actually had prize money. I suspect any of the players would have probably donated it or most of it, kudos to him though.
I'm also hearing from a very reliable source (which I can't reveal) that they'll start awarding ATP points for this, too. Nice to see Andy climbing back up the rankings.

I'm probably not alone in thinking that this tournament was far more entertaining than the actual Madrid Open could ever hope to have been. I'd quite like to see this turn into a full-blown virtual tour for all players which gradually replaces the real players' tour (ATP and WTA combined, of course -- let's merge the virtual tours). Players could be required to take the usual drug tests and scripted events could occur at random points in the match -- anything from getting a code violation for swearing and taking strategic MTOs to spontaneously kicking a linesman and getting defaulted (particular events could be probability-weighted according to a player's past history).

I genuinely feel this is the way forward for the future of tennis. I imagine it might present a few problems -- it'd be harder to compare eras for the purposes of the GOAT discussion, to take the most pressing issue for example -- but I'm sure these can very easily be ironed out rather quickly.

Registered
I'm also hearing from a very reliable source (which I can't reveal) that they'll start awarding ATP points for this, too. Nice to see Andy climbing back up the rankings.

I'm probably not alone in thinking that this tournament was far more entertaining than the actual Madrid Open could ever hope to have been. I'd quite like to see this turn into a full-blown virtual tour for all players which gradually replaces the real players' tour (ATP and WTA combined, of course -- let's merge the virtual tours). Players could be required to take the usual drug tests and scripted events could occur at random points in the match -- anything from getting a code violation for swearing and taking strategic MTOs to spontaneously kicking a linesman and getting defaulted (particular events could be probability-weighted according to a player's past history).

I genuinely feel this is the way forward for the future of tennis. I imagine it might present a few problems -- it'd be harder to compare eras for the purposes of the GOAT discussion, to take the most pressing issue for example -- but I'm sure these can very easily be ironed out rather quickly.
What?! For sitting on a couch pressing a couple of buttons? Hope you are being sarcastic.

At least the cyclists and darts players are doing what they always do when competing virtually.

Registered
What?! For sitting on a couch pressing a couple of buttons? Hope you are being sarcastic.
Not at all: not sure if you had the privilege of watching some of the latter matches in the tournament, but I was taken aback at how much that game of virtual tennis resembled its real-life counterpart. Murray and Goffin were grunting during points, and Murray himself admitted that he was getting tight, having sweaty palms and even the odd choke here and there. There is a wealth of underappreciated potential here: why bother with installing a roof or complaining about Roland Garros lights when you could simply continue the match in the virtual world? I'd quite like to have seen the Wimbledon 2008 final paused due to darkness at 7-7 in the fifth and continued in the virtual world.

Registered
Not at all: not sure if you had the privilege of watching some of the latter matches in the tournament, but I was taken aback at how much that game of virtual tennis resembled its real-life counterpart. Murray and Goffin were grunting during points, and Murray himself admitted that he was getting tight, having sweaty palms and even the odd choke here and there. There is a wealth of underappreciated potential here: why bother with installing a roof or complaining about Roland Garros lights when you could simply continue the match in the virtual world? I'd quite like to have seen the Wimbledon 2008 final paused due to darkness at 7-7 in the fifth and continued in the virtual world.
Not me, I prefer real sports, not a virtual game. During the virtual cycling and darts events, players needed to ride a bike and throw a dart. Tennis players could sit on a couch and press buttons. That's not even close to what they normally do.

Just because Murray enjoyed playing the game and was getting into it doesn't mean it can replace tennis as a sport.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts