Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,611 Posts
Although I was not sure how this would go down, even having a straight sets win for Kei in mind, it is rather clear why Thiem struggled. Indoor conditions really suit Kei's early strike game. Kei nearly made a hash of his 5-1 lead in set 1 but saved 3 BPs at 5-3 and then kept the foot on the pedal, mixing up powerful shots, returns and volleys. Even the serve was working a treat. Thiem was limited to winning pts based largely on serve and first strike and a few Kei errors, but those were far and few between.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Poor Domi, getting a good spanking in front of his home crowd. :)

Kei was redirecting balls so well, his game looked fluent today. :yeah: Slight hiccup from 5-0 in the first with Thiem getting some good shots in play but Kei thwarted the comeback from 0-40 down and went on to win the set. Second set he was masterful. :worship:

The Japanese does some good business here, defeating a competitor for a London spot. If he wins the title here, he gets close.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
great for Kei to be back on top again

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Fantastic result for Kei and his cleanest elite win this year. I'm pretty sure all his other top 10 wins went the distance. It's great to see him play b2b great matches and slightly pulling ahead of Isner in the race. What a good solid run he's been having. Hope his confidence keeps going up...great and unique player to watch when he's on.

·
52,611 Posts
Kei does pass Isner in the race as the result does count! He will want to keep extending the lead of course. Please win a title for a change.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The Japanese does some good business here, defeating a competitor for a London spot. If he wins the title here, he gets close.
I think he needs to win 5 more matches to be in front of Domi in the race which is quite a possibility if Thiem doesn't win his R2 at Paris.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Thiem already surpassed all expectations set in him by miraculously beating Bemelmans in the first round, so he can still be proud of his performances in this tournament. The combination of indoor hardcourt and home crowd was always going to be too much to handle for him

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Scoreline was closer than the actual match. Lucky for Thiem that the crowd is well behaved otherwise he would've been booed of the court for that showing (or lack thereof), deservedly so.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Sucks for Dominic, but Kei was better at almost everything. Will support Kei now and hope he makes the final, which I will see live.

·
52,611 Posts
Thiem already surpassed all expectations set in him by miraculously beating Bemelmans in the first round, so he can still be proud of his performances in this tournament. The combination of indoor hardcourt and home crowd was always going to be too much to handle for him
and Querrey too, who can be tricky. :hug:

Kei had London in mind and wouldn't let up no matter what.

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
and Querrey too, who can be tricky. :hug:
Querrey was anything but tricky in that match, he was unable to hit 3 consecutive shots without making an unforced error.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
It's interesting that he had a quite easy straight sets scoreline and played like an hour each in the past 2 matches opposed to Tiafoe where he played long match in 3 sets
His confidence is really going skyrocket atm...so for justification, I hope he wins the title...

·
justice for all
13,110 Posts
I think in general a QF on the least favourable surface is an OK result for Dominic, and it's no shame in losing to Nishikori cause when he's on (and he was today) he is a very tough opponent to beat in these conditions. So I think Dominic may keep his head up.

I think Dominic should continue to work on improvement of his game on HC and indoor but on indoor specifically playing the clay game will not cut it (it might on the USO surface but not here). So something more needs to be done to take the next step.

Congratulations to Nishikori, a better player on the day won today.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Congratz to Kei.

Domi :hug: but you are such a sad guy. Claycourt mug. Defeated and humiliated in front of home crowd on the independence day of Austria. Mega LOL. This guy has zero character, pride and fighting spirit. I like him as a brother but he is really sadening to follow.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts