Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Yeah, Kandy. :yeah:

Was about time for him to win a title on this level, would have definitely been terrible if a player with two Slam finals had ended up without one.

Nishikoris final streak continues though. :spit:

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Kevin is way too good of a player to have not won an ATP 500, this was bound to happen on day as long as he kept playing well. Unfortunately for Nishikori it came against him, when his confidence is already maybe a bit fragile in finals.

Really impressive level from Anderson today and I think its fair to say he deserved the win, his weaponry was working well and Nishikori couldn't quite find the answers... it would have been hard for most players out there today with the serving from Anderson.

Good run for both players and very possible that they will be meeting again in a couple of weeks time...

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,611 Posts
This was hard to stomach. Kevin was winning nearly half the pts without having to hit a second ball. So annoying to return. And he crunches second serves big too. Kei just had one lousy game where he couldn't get out of 12 minutes. Had BPs on three games or so which Kevin saved with service winners. Simply Kevin had too much easy firepower off the serve for Kei to handle.

Well done to Kevin but I wish it wasn't so based on the serve.

·
justice for all
13,107 Posts
Always choking Anderson needed an even bigger mental midget in Runnerupkori to win his first 500.

Well, somebody had to win this time, well done.

·
Tsonga,Djokovic
1,982 Posts
I predicted kevin would have won this title, because his serves are really on fire these days. Congrats to him on this biggest title of his career so far. kei was okay today, far from his best, hopefully he can manage to go London this year eventually.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
First ATP 500 or higher title for Anderson.

2 years 8 months and counting since Nishikori won a title, going 0-9 in finals since Memphis February 2016.
Nishikori won Dallas Challenger this year.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Well the streak continues. He's lke the ultimate gatekeeper. IT doesn't help that his opponents nearly always play extremely clutch, steady tennis, way above their usual levels. he'll have an opportunity to avenge his loss in Paris should they both win their first matches, a court I think suits big Kev even more. Isner would probably need to make SFs to outpace him for the WTFs. I would say Kei should just stay positive and keep getting himself into these positions. It's obvious his game has returned. Making WTFs would be great to see how he really stacks up against the top 10. Otherwise, this has been a successful recovery season.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
This was hard to stomach. Kevin was winning nearly half the pts without having to hit a second ball. So annoying to return. And he crunches second serves big too. Kei just had one lousy game where he couldn't get out of 12 minutes. Had BPs on three games or so which Kevin saved with service winners. Simply Kevin had too much easy firepower off the serve for Kei to handle.

Well done to Kevin but I wish it wasn't so based on the serve.
Why wouldn't you want this? It's basically Anderson's game. Saying that almost means that you would've liked him to have an off day. Or if it's from a personal preference view to the game I can understand, I don't like it much either.

·
Administrator
10,755 Posts
I don't really know what the oddsmakers were thinking having Kei as the very heavy favorite. We all knew this match was going to be battle and it was. Lots of good points. That 12 or 13 minute service game was definitely the momentum shifter in the first set. Hopefully Kei will sneak into London and break that losing streak in finals. :p

Anyway, Kei has certainly topped my expectations coming into this season. I'm glad to see him playing well and staying healthy. Can't wait to see the improved 2019 version of himself. :bounce:

·
Premium Member
8,282 Posts
Great win for Kevin. It would have been a disaster had he lost today. He has been very impressive in the last 15 months and I'm glad he has at least a 500 title to show for his efforts. He deserved this win and I'm very glad for him.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts