Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
34,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know which tournament has recorded the most comebacks from 0-2 sets down?

So far at the Australian Open 2007, there have been 10:

Arthurs def Koubek 1-6 6-7(4) 7-6(5) 6-2 6-3
Bjorkman def Patience 5-7 4-6 6-0 6-1 6-2
Gicquel def Jones 3-6 6-7(1) 6-4 6-1 6-0
Hewitt def Russell 3-6 2-6 6-3 6-3 6-3
Verdasco def Mathieu 6-7(5) 4-6 6-6(1) Ret.
Nalbandian def Tipsarevic 6-7(5) 4-6 7-6(2) 6-0 2-1 Ret.
Capdeville def Benneteau 4-6 6-7(4) 6-2 6-1 6-2
Stepanek def Dlouhy 4-6 4-6 6-4 6-1 6-4
Ferrer def Stepanek 6-7(5) 4-6 6-0 6-4 6-3
Nalbandian def Grosjean 5-7 4-6 7-6(4) 6-4 6-1

·
Registered
24,626 Posts
Good idea, would be an interesting question.

My thread "Best players coming back from a 0-2 set deficit" which included data beginning 1982 gave only the overall accomplished comebacks from 0-2 sets at each Slam, and the leaders were the FO with 117 and the AO with 115, but not year by year.

·
Banned
34,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

My thread "Best players coming back from a 0-2 set deficit" which included data beginning 1982 gave only the overall accomplished comebacks from 0-2 sets at each Slam, and the leaders were the FO with 117 and the AO with 115, but not year by year.
10 seems like a rather high number to me (although I guess the Verdasco match should possibly be discounted), and I was wondering if you know of any other tourneys that have had so many?

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
I think that Verdasco win against Mathieu shouldn't be counted
It fits the description: Won after being two sets down even though Fernado didn't win the following 3 sets.

·
Registered
13,751 Posts

anyone got a link to this thread? the search function is being a pain in the ass for me atm.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
I made a post about it sometime last year and can't find it, but I think the 2002 AO has to win the prize here - no fewer than 14 comebacks from two sets down, most of them in the first round. Ironically enough, both Moya and Ljubicic came back from two sets down to win their opening matches and subsequently lost from two sets up. Koubek won both his first two rounds from two sets down, Boutter upset no. 2 seed Kuerten in the first round from two sets down, Novak won his second round over Gaudenzi from two sets down and then went on to make the semis, Escude won yet another match at the AO from two sets down.... remarkable stuff.

·
Banned
34,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I made a post about it sometime last year and can't find it, but I think the 2002 AO has to win the prize here - no fewer than 14 comebacks from two sets down, most of them in the first round. Ironically enough, both Moya and Ljubicic came back from two sets down to win their opening matches and subsequently lost from two sets up. Koubek won both his first two rounds from two sets down, Boutter upset no. 2 seed Kuerten in the first round from two sets down, Novak won his second round over Gaudenzi from two sets down and then went on to make the semis, Escude won yet another match at the AO from two sets down.... remarkable stuff.
that is right.

thanks for sharing.

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts