Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chile is very close to lose his ATP tournament. This happens because the organizers for 21 years, the Group Fillol, resigned from keep organising the tournament because of the lack of sponsors and support.
"As a group, we decided not to be part of the ATP circuit next year. We're tired of risking our money. There is no interest in any company or TV channel to contribute in the championship. We're sad to take this decision, but without investors we couldn't keep on going, really" said Alvaro Fillol to El Mercurio.
The Fillol brothers have already started negociations with local businessmen, in order to give the tournament to them before a foreign company takes it. "The completion of the tournament in 2015 will depend on local investors. Otherwise, other country will take our ATP. That depends on what Octagon (the enterprise who has the rights of the tournament) decides" said Fillol.
http://www.emol.com/noticias/deportes/2014/06/03/663355/atp-chileno-esta-muy-cercano-a-desaparecer-tras-renuncia-de-los-fillol-como-organizadores.html

:sad:

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
It was bound to happen. As soon as Massu and Gonzalez retired, I knew that this was going to happen :sad:

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
I wonder what South American cities could get this tournament. I remember Montevideo used to have an ATP tournament in the 90's, but I guess it would end up in some Brazilian city. Florianapolis has a WTA tournament, maybe they would be interested in getting an ATP one as well...

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Terrible calendar placement, one of the worst weeks during the year and I imagine you really need a higher ranked host country player or two available to get some audience/sponsors. Taking place in the already ghettoized Golden Swing during an weak era for Latin American tennis surely made things even worse for them.

·
Your visions will happen
47,128 Posts
Sad, wonder if the Latin American swing will dissolve eventually.

Shame that the #1 thing appeared to be TV broadcasting that held this up.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It will problably end up here in Brazil, Tennis is kind of booming here in the major cities, we have two tournaments in the South American swing, maybe in a few years time it will be the Brazilian swing. I know there was a lot of interest in a Master series or Master cup, but London being as popular as it is right now managed to keep it.

I would much rather Chile and all of the South American kep their tournamens and expanded and had one Master series to end it in Brazil. That would have been really cool and balanced as far as with South American.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
sad for chile

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
They only had a HD feed for the year that Nadal played and the other years the SD feed quality was fucking horrible. Sad news but not surprising.

·
Registered
97,201 Posts
wow :sad:

especially with these kids garin and jarry coming up, looking to be something good

it moves to quito? i guess nico lapentti will play as WC and win a few matches

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Quito?

Well, it's surely sadly for Chile, but at least this will still be in South America.

And a clay tournament being played around 2800m? This would be interesting. :smoke:

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
wow :sad:

especially with these kids garin and jarry coming up, looking to be something good
Malla also (and Lama a little older)

Very sad news, I love the atmosphere of this tournament, one of the best of the year in my opinion in this category :sad:

·
Your visions will happen
47,128 Posts
Very sad, but at least it stays in South America

1 - 20 of 22 Posts