Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
97,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He probably watched "No country for old men" :eek:.

Martin Verkerk got a Wild Card to the tournament USA#5 (futures), he faces in the first round the 6th seeded Victor Estrella from Dominican Republic.

Good luck :D

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Re: Verkerk comes back in Texas

I wonder why he didn't try a future in Europe, I mean the US is kind of out of the way.

I don't expect any success though.

·
MONSOON season.
82,285 Posts

I wonder why he didn't try a future in Europe, I mean the US is kind of out of the way.

I don't expect any success though.
No. Europe is out of the way. He has been staying in the US for ages. In fact, last year when he played Rotterdam, he had to fly over from the States.

·
MONSOON season.
82,285 Posts

Oh and Estrella is a tough draw :eek: I think he will lose.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts

No. Europe is out of the way. He has been staying in the US for ages. In fact, last year when he played Rotterdam, he had to fly over from the States.
Well last year he played the European clay circuit and after that some European challengers and one European future -- didn't realize he moved to the US.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts

Verkerk -> Very strange career. I'd like to see him in form again but on the other hand I'm surprised that he hasn't retired yet.
Well, let's just say that after his RG final, his head became too big for his boots. Tried to get back into business with his protected ranking, didn't really work. :eek:

It surprises me too that he didn't choose to retire after last year's fiasco's. But I guess he still wants to continue playing tennis - on whatever level - , and I can't help but quite appreciate that attitude. :D

·
Registered
22,082 Posts

Verkerk is a legend, he's one of my favourite players, go Martin!

·
Registered
385 Posts

Tried to get back into business with his protected ranking, didn't really work.
I'll say, he wasted like a whopping 10 WILD CARDS and failed to even win one set !!

I always thought it was stupid of him to refuse the idea of playing Challengers, to me it came acroos as if he was thinking "he was too good for that" ... but even Agassi got back on the road once like that.

It will be interesting to see if he can get a win at all, it would be nice for him, let's see ... why didn't he play rotterdam btw ?? I'm sure Richard would he granted him a WC...

·
Registered
5,200 Posts

I'll say, he wasted like a whopping 10 WILD CARDS and failed to even win one set !!

I always thought it was stupid of him to refuse the idea of playing Challengers, to me it came acroos as if he was thinking "he was too good for that" ... but even Agassi got back on the road once like that.

It will be interesting to see if he can get a win at all, it would be nice for him, let's see ... why didn't he play rotterdam btw ?? I'm sure Richard would he granted him a WC...
he maybe gave one for Qualies but not for main draw, Even last year he didn't want to do that but eventually he did. en then Verkerk showed up 20 pounds to heavy and slow as a pig.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts

Unbelievable, Last he week he almost announced his retirement
four weeks ago

In a reaction to the news of Sluiters last tournament in Rotterdam. Verkerk says: I won't quit, I will play a tournament in 3 weeks, My fitness coach said to me to wait. I wanted to play earlier. I lost 20 pounds and I am faster then last year. He loves to play again

two weeks later

It still is a strange dude, after saying the things posted earlier. He now says he hasn't got motivation to come back beceause he understands finally that it won't be as a top 20 player. He doesn't want to be a 80-120 player

Harlingen well maybe he feels a bit in Holland since the Dutch named it

·
Registered
39 Posts

I used to be a big fan of his. I'm glad to see he is still playing in some form. What does he do now in the States (besides apparently eat a lot of barbecued beef) - does he live in Texas?

·
Registered
22,082 Posts

Unbelievable, Last he week he almost announced his retirement
four weeks ago

In a reaction to the news of Sluiters last tournament in Rotterdam. Verkerk says: I won't quit, I will play a tournament in 3 weeks, My fitness coach said to me to wait. I wanted to play earlier. I lost 20 pounds and I am faster then last year. He loves to play again

two weeks later

It still is a strange dude, after saying the things posted earlier. He now says he hasn't got motivation to come back beceause he understands finally that it won't be as a top 20 player. He doesn't want to be a 80-120 player

Harlingen well maybe he feels a bit in Holland since the Dutch named it
Well he couldn't get much slower than last year. He didn't look that much too heavy.

·
Banned
218 Posts

A shame he couldn't come back a lot sooner, he was a good player to watch.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts

:lol: yes. My words were meant as the classical 'understatement'. ;)

That one-time success at RG got to his head, as I said. He vastly underestimated the general strength of top player field, and thought he'd be able to make a come-back easily. Well... that was a mistake, to say the least.

At least he now understands that if he is to continue his career, he'll indeed have to do it the hard way: by playing challengers. I wish him all the best in doing so.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts

Good Luck to Martin though - hope he does well here in this Future event.

·
Tênis Mambembe
36,773 Posts

Verkerk won his first round match, against seeded#6 Victor Estrella, from Dominican Republic, 3-6 7-6(4) 4-0 ret.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts

Oh...don't know what to think about that...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts