Mens Tennis Forums banner
41 - 60 of 2905 Posts

· Registered
7,014 Posts
Wow Vasek! Proud of you!:yeah: He's moving upwards and doing much better than I excpeted him to. Hopefully he'll continue this good form! And I agree with the rest of you guys. I think Niemeyer is one hell of a coach. Hopefully if Vasek is doing better Tennis Canada will see that and give him the support he needs, maybe make him a part of the NTC. But yeah, he needs to show he's worthy of it first, hopefully he'll continue like this and it won't be too long until that happens!

I think Frank is showing some progress too. Frank and Vasek and even PLD are all doing good right now. Peter on the other hand.. :eek: :help: Not so much!

Kinda off topic here, but.. Vasek doesn't have a twitter acount, has he? Would like to follow him! :p

· Registered
1,054 Posts
I am not sure it is fair to say that Vasek hasn't had the support of Tennis Canada. My sense was that for a long time he chose to go his own way with his father as coach (you have to believe he could have joined the NTC when it opened, if he had wanted to). Vasek was invited early on to the Davis Cup team. At a certain point he got displaced by Milos, but in retrospect, that was probably a fair decision, based on type of game and also mental suitability for playing important matches (Vasek has shown some tendency to falter when he gets close to the finish line).

Tennis Canada has been trying to encourage young players to make a base in Montreal. Milos and Rebecca went along with that, but maybe it didn't suit Vasek. Now it seems like he is at least spending a good bit of time there.

In short, I am suggesting that maybe it is Vasek changing his thinking, more than Tennis Canada.

Anyway, great week for Vasek. Hopefully this will inspire him for a productive tour in Korea.

· Registered
7,014 Posts
I am not sure it is fair to say that Vasek hasn't had the support of Tennis Canada. My sense was that for a long time he chose to go his own way with his father as coach (you have to believe he could have joined the NTC when it opened, if he had wanted to). Vasek was invited early on to the Davis Cup team. At a certain point he got displaced by Milos, but in retrospect, that was probably a fair decision, based on type of game and also mental suitability for playing important matches (Vasek has shown some tendency to falter when he gets close to the finish line).

Tennis Canada has been trying to encourage young players to make a base in Montreal. Milos and Rebecca went along with that, but maybe it didn't suit Vasek. Now it seems like he is at least spending a good bit of time there.

In short, I am suggesting that maybe it is Vasek changing his thinking, more than Tennis Canada.

Anyway, great week for Vasek. Hopefully this will inspire him for a productive tour in Korea.
Yeah, I think you're right. I shouldn't even be commenting on Tennis Canada or the NTC because I don't know fully what's going on. Kinda hard for me to follow Canadian tennis from up here in Norway, even though I do try :)

I second your last line though! great week for Vasek :) Congrats to him for a new career high too! My hope is that he can crack the top 200 this year and top 100 next year, that would be the ultimate progress imo. Anything faster than that is of course great too, but that is my goal for him. It will be interesting to see how fast he's moving up the rankings.

· Registered
131 Posts

Tennis canada supports vasek by paying for his coach and some other things

· Registered
1,054 Posts
I also expect vasek to be in the top 150 fairly soon hes got a real big game and alot of potential
Seems though that he needs to learn to control it more effectively. I was interested in a remark Nestor made when commentating the DC doubles, about Pospisil needing to be more consistent.

Also I watched some of the Rimouski SF and it was discouraging to see how he handled the fact that he was not playing well - he just got frustrated and played worse and worse.

But hopefully he is making progress on the mental side.

41 - 60 of 2905 Posts