Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

· Registered
1,054 Posts
I see that Vasek is signed up for the Busan challenger 9 May, so I am guessing he is going to follow up with the 15K Futures series in Korea. Following Milos' example from last year.

If he has only half the success Milos had it will be a worthwhile trip.

· Registered
1,054 Posts
I am not sure it is fair to say that Vasek hasn't had the support of Tennis Canada. My sense was that for a long time he chose to go his own way with his father as coach (you have to believe he could have joined the NTC when it opened, if he had wanted to). Vasek was invited early on to the Davis Cup team. At a certain point he got displaced by Milos, but in retrospect, that was probably a fair decision, based on type of game and also mental suitability for playing important matches (Vasek has shown some tendency to falter when he gets close to the finish line).

Tennis Canada has been trying to encourage young players to make a base in Montreal. Milos and Rebecca went along with that, but maybe it didn't suit Vasek. Now it seems like he is at least spending a good bit of time there.

In short, I am suggesting that maybe it is Vasek changing his thinking, more than Tennis Canada.

Anyway, great week for Vasek. Hopefully this will inspire him for a productive tour in Korea.

· Registered
1,054 Posts
I also expect vasek to be in the top 150 fairly soon hes got a real big game and alot of potential
Seems though that he needs to learn to control it more effectively. I was interested in a remark Nestor made when commentating the DC doubles, about Pospisil needing to be more consistent.

Also I watched some of the Rimouski SF and it was discouraging to see how he handled the fact that he was not playing well - he just got frustrated and played worse and worse.

But hopefully he is making progress on the mental side.

· Registered
1,054 Posts
Great stuff from Vashy!

He is in the process of establishing himself as the 3rd best Canadian man. Although Peter is still ahead of him in the rankings, that is purely based on last year's results. (Hopefully Peter will find inspiration from the challenge to turn things around).

· Registered
1,054 Posts
You have the advantage, Shuhrat, of being able to find your way around a Korean language website, while I am dependent on the google translate version, which is however a whole lot more entertaining, I am sure, than the original.

For example, here is a bit from the article about the Futures event this week:

Last year, Daegu Futures win of the season At the beginning of the Australian Open round of 16 blast causes a World Men's tennis on like a comet appeared Milos raohnik (Canada -26 above) the U.S. from San Jose Open SAP Open (prize money $ 531,000) from Fernando Verdasco (Spain -17 above) accounts for chewing first ATP Tour title in the world approached the center of the stage.

Nick Milos Rao compete this year at Daegu Futures ranked 408 in the world rankings.

Also on board this year, a beonsideuin basek poseupisil Daegu Futures (Canada -257 above) along with Nick Milos Rao held in Toronto last August rojeoseukeop Masters tournament (prize money $ 3,000,000) in the current World No. 1 Doubles 1st Round Rafael Nadal is fighting over seats (Spain -1 above) and Zocor Beach Novak (Serbia and -2 above) joe Doubles 5-7, 6-3, 10-8 beating the world had created a sensation.

++++

Nice to see Milos come out as Nick Milos Rao, while Novak as Zocor Beach is even better.

· Registered
1,054 Posts
I think it makes sense - he doesn't need to be playing Futures, since his ranking is OK for Challengers and he has shown he can string together some wins in a Challenger. Of course that argument would look even stronger if he picks up some serious points this week and next.

It would be nice if he tried Wimbledon - I like to think he might end up being quite good on grass.

· Registered
1,054 Posts
According to the Korean tennis news story on the Changwon finals, as hilariously translated by google, Vasek was planning to play Wimbledon qualies (this is about the only part of the article that was clear in translation). So if his name is really not on the list, maybe he forgot to sign up.

· Registered
1,054 Posts
Aarrghh! Why does this have to happen? Now we have 4 of our top 5 guys out with an injury. And just during the summer season when there are all these Canadian tournaments.

I really hope it is only a mild injury (Tennis Canada is reporting it is his ankle).

· Registered
1,054 Posts
The Gazette provides a bit of information on the ankle situation.

"I don't know what happened; I just rolled my ankle," said the 21-year-old from Vancouver who fell to the court in pain. He received a medical timeout but, after consulting with a physiotherapist and a doctor, he retired.

"It's an old problem," Pospisil said. "I injured it in February and it's only in the last four weeks that it's been feeling good."

Fred Niemeyer, who is a national coach as well as Niemeyer's personal coach, said Pospisil has withdrawn from a challenger next week in Lexington but it was too early to tell how long Pospisil would be out of action.

"There's a tournament in Saskatoon the following week and then one in Vancouver," said Niemeyer. "He might be ready but first we'll get an MRI to see how badly he's hurt."

http://www.montrealgazette.com/spor...ed+Canadians/5112191/story.html#ixzz1SHJMarnt

1 - 20 of 128 Posts