Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

· Premium Member
18,810 Posts
@VasekPospisil: Great to see @J_A_Baker 's nipples through his white shirt tonight at the official tournament dinner. Choose a better one next time bud :p

@VasekPospisil: First round win here in Busan. Now off to the food court that I finally found after three days, damn I'm good... and sexy.

@VasekPospisil: Dubs at 10am tmrw, is that some kind of a sick joke? Hmmm, haven't been up in time for McDonalds breakfast since '08... thinkin about it

@VasekPospisil: You know something's up when the Korean lady says "chicken" to every type of meat you point at. I hope I didn't just have Lassie for dinner.

I knew he would rock Twitter as well. :rocker:
I'm not sure that last tweet is in very good taste.

· Premium Member
18,810 Posts
anyone know why Vasek never signed up for the Fergana challenger? It's really weak, he would have been the 4 seed, chances are he would have gotten more points there than a future?
I cant imagine logistically and financially it would make sense to go from Korea to Uzbekistan when there are other futures in Korea already.

And Milos tried his hand at Korean futures last year, maybe Vasek is thinking that's the way to go!

· Premium Member
18,810 Posts
Looks like Vasek has the best draw of the Canadians though he would need to get through Roger-Vasselin/Veic in round 2 and then Marc Gicquel in round 3 to qualify.

First round is against Jorge Aguilar, he should win that in straights.

· Premium Member
18,810 Posts
Gutted Vasek isn't playing tomorrow as I'll be at the Open and can't be there during the day Wednesday. I'm hoping on Wednesday he's the last match on court so that I can head to the Open after work :)

Guccione is a tough draw if his serve is on but as long as Vasek is serving well I think he's got too much on Guccione.

· Premium Member
18,810 Posts
OK and thank you for alerting us. :hatoff:

As for the Asian tour, let's see if he manages to copy the results too, it will require tremendous efforts though. :smoke:
If it's not too complicated, could you tell me why he can't keep Fred as his coach next year?

ibreak4coffee, hope you catch Vashy's action a bit. :wavey:
I hope so too - I'm finishing up some work now and will leave soon, but I'll miss some action unless Mladenovic gets her act together :)

· Premium Member
18,810 Posts
Great result from Vasek :yeah:

From the first couple of games, it looked like there would be tiebreakers. Guccione came out strong on serve and it took Vasek a while to start reading Guccione's serve but once he did he was in most of Chris's service games. Virtually througout the match but particularly the first set, if Pospisil got the ball back in play he won the point (while holding very easily). In the breaker, it was back and forth but Pospisil played three great points to close it out. In the second set, he missed some early break chances and was starting to miss a lot of easier passing shots (Guccione was at net most of the match) while at the same time Guccione started to play better at the net and actually hit some great volleys. At 5-5 Vasek got tight and Guccione had two break points, but a couple of strong serves bailed him out. At 6-5 for Pospisil, Guccione went up 40-0 but double faulted twice - including on match point - and basically let Pospisil win the other three points except for a beautiful off balance lob Vasek hit at 40-15.

Overall, a good win for Pospisil. He hit some great winners, stayed in the match despite some strong serving (and volleying) from Guccione, and took care of his service games with great efficiency. I like his chances against Brezac :yeah:

· Premium Member
18,810 Posts
Thank you for the match report! :hug: It sounds like his play was more solid than it appeared by the scoreline. :)

Btw, is this what he was wearing there? :lol: Why such dark colored outfits for the Open? I liked what he wore at Rogers Cup. :awww:
Definitely. Vasek was solid. There were many service games where he simply couldn't do anything with Guccione's serve. And up until 5-5 in the 2nd he was cruising on serve with little threat. To that point, the only way it seemed he could lose was 6-7 7-6 7-6, but overall I never felt Vasek was going to lose the match in the second set (and usually I'm very pessimistic). The vast majority of rallies went his way, and Guccione wasn't doing anything really with even his second serve. As the match went on Vasek was reading the serve better and getting a lot more balls in play, at which point he was the closer of the two players to threatening to break.

Yes that looks like the same shirt - it was definitely K-Swiss :wavey:

· Premium Member
18,810 Posts
Stupid hurricane - I was supposed to go to this match, had to evacuate my apartment, and missed a third set breaker with Vasek coming out on top :mad:

While I'd love to see Frank vs. Vasek in R1, why do I get the feeling Frank draws Novak and Vasek Berdych?

In any event, phenomenal performance by Vasek in his first GS qualifying. Hopefully a sign of great things to come, and a great learning experience at a minimum

· Premium Member
18,810 Posts
..this wasnt his first time playing grand slam qualies, he played wimbledon too remember?
Oops meant to say first US Open qualies.

I have tickets for the first two days of the Open so depending on how the hurricane forces scheduling changes, I'll be at Vasek's match (unless he plays at the same time as Frank ;))

Was just thinking - if Frank and Vasek can finish the year strong, we could have three Canucks into the top 100. Amazing!

1 - 20 of 173 Posts