12,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kevin Darling had it covered on twitter

one guy scored 16 goals.

How does this even happen?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I've never heard of him but fully expect Liverpool to pay in the region of £15 million.

·
Super Moderator
8,841 Posts
Micronesian resp. the football association of the Federated States of Micronesia was founded in 1999 and football got very late popular over there (late 90's). The bigger problem is its geographical situation, when there wasn't any real nationwide organization until 2004. Every state organized more or less its own football structures in a mediocre way, money lacked left and right as FIFA didn't want to waste a cent on its football development and therefore many private investors take care to donate money. As one state is far away of the other one it's very difficult to form a 'national' team, when they almost never play together. Of course all players are amateurs and not many persons play this sports, 200 maximum in the last years IIRC. Stan Forster who's the head coach takes the best footballers of every state and tries to build up a team in a couple of weeks, though they're all from different tribes with their behaviour and so on. The team is full of young lads (even in the under-23 team) who recently began playing football and had to teach themselves football as coaches are rarely spread apart from the main state.

In a short word: Organization is still not areawide, football development a long progress and just starting, football itself becoming scarcely popular, money missing and FIFA don't give a shit. They try hard to become member now to get some of these funds and ideas for better strategic plans, they also work very hard to get further. Infrastructure is getting better with the new stadiums investors/citizens paid and kids can play on football fields now. It's a long path, but it seems they can handle it. Only thing left is the membership to get more international matches and to be more interesting for international coaches.

I forgot to mention that almost all persons work unsalaried, even footballers and coach. You have to take air flights in Oceania to play international matches, besides this there are not nationwide football tournaments as air flights are too expensive. They play regionwide, so the football level keeps very low. You may not expect miracles from this state in the future, but it would be already enough to score a goal against Tuvalu.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
One goal per 2 minutes that's very doable :lol: This is a U23 competition. Micronesia lost their games 0-30 0-38 0-46 too bad there is no 4th game to make it 0-54 :p

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Despite the heroic performance, Vanuatu didn't manage to qualify from the group.

I've never heard of him but fully expect Liverpool to pay in the region of £15 million.
Not if Real Madrid get there first

·
Administrator
18,621 Posts
:spit:

They didn't even get through their group :help:

I remember when Australia were in Oceanian division :drool: fun to watch

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Vanuatu subforum.

Still nice to see such teams playing competetive matches. They deserve credit, even for such result. I am a huge fan of San Marino football too...They don´t have results like 0-46, but they are losing almost everything, despite that they are still fighting and enjoying matches. Hopefully Micronesia gets better :p

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vanuatu subforum.

Still nice to see such teams playing competetive matches. They deserve credit, even for such result. I am a huge fan of San Marino football too...They don´t have results like 0-46, but they are losing almost everything, despite that they are still fighting and enjoying matches. Hopefully Micronesia gets better :p
San Marino loses 8 or 10-0 to teams like The Netherlands, world class teams. Micronesia loses 46-0 to VANUATU, who themselves is one of the worst teams in the world. Its safe to say that San Marino would beat Micronesia by a 30-40 goal haul.

·
Super Moderator
8,841 Posts
San Marino loses 8 or 10-0 to teams like The Netherlands, world class teams. Micronesia loses 46-0 to VANUATU, who themselves is one of the worst teams in the world. Its safe to say that San Marino would beat Micronesia by a 30-40 goal haul.
That's crying out for a friendly between San Marino and Micronesia. :spit:

·
Your visions will happen
48,645 Posts
But how much possession did Micronesia have though? How much time in the opposing half? How many saves by the Micronesian keeper(s)?

How many good passes? How many shots on goal?

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
This is on purpose, I don't buy it. Even if I play with my friends against Barcelona we'd do better. That's a goal per 2 minutes, it's impossible to be that bad even if you try.

I guess this is the biggest result ever? I remember Australia vs Samoa for the WC qualifiers in 2002 finished 32-0.

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
The Micronesia players only started playing like 6 months ago they said.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Oh, I didn´t compare their quality, I just said I support them despite losing :p

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
San Marino is a miles above Micronesia. Sure, they never win a single game, but they play the top guys. It's like comparing a challenger player that loses 6-1 6-2 to Federer or Djokovic with a player that loses against someone ranked outside the TOP 1000 and barely wins 2 points in a set.

·
Super Moderator
8,841 Posts
This is on purpose, I don't buy it. Even if I play with my friends against Barcelona we'd do better. That's a goal per 2 minutes, it's impossible to be that bad even if you try.

I guess this is the biggest result ever? I remember Australia vs Samoa for the WC qualifiers in 2002 finished 32-0.
As it's a sub 23-competition it doesn't count as world record

Bingo, but nobody likes to read long posts.

·
Registered
14,842 Posts
San Marino is a miles above Micronesia. Sure, they never win a single game, but they play the top guys. It's like comparing a challenger player that loses 6-1 6-2 to Federer or Djokovic with a player that loses against someone ranked outside the TOP 1000 and barely wins 2 points in a set.
Two words would be enough my mate: Jonathan Morgan. (aKa Johnny Groove)

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That shouldn't matter. If you have two legs, can run and have some semblance of coordination you should be able to at least get in front of attacking players and stop them at least some of the time. Especially against Vanuatu. I highly doubt that any of the Vanuatu players have been playing for very long, surely very few of them are professional. Even when there are extreme mismatches in American high school soccer games the results never go above 15-0 at worst. And I dare saw many many high school teams in America could beat Vanuatu.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts