Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
yeah...i'm seriously freaked out by that article cos until i read that i thought he had great chances to win...and i was also happy to see him playing doubles with feli...now it's all gone pear-shaped :(

i hope he's ok...but if he's in that much pain, i guess it would be foolish to continue playing...better to rest up for Shanghai...

que te mejores muy pronto Rafa :sad:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Seriously, it might be better if he doesn´t play in Madrid at all...I dunno but it can get worse if he plays. :sad: Toni says they´ll wait for the doctors´ decision.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
credits to nou.amic of vamosrafael.com

Masters Series Madrid moves to Las Rozas

As in previous years, some of the players who are taking part in the Masters Series Madrid went along to watch Real Madrid's training session at the Ciudad del Fútbol. Confessed Madrid supporters all, they do not want to miss the match tomorrow night against Rosenborg, either.

On Tuesday morning Feliciano López, Juan Carlos Ferrero and Rafa Nadal went along to keep a date that has become a tradition since the first edition of the Masters Series Madrid was held in October 2002. Together with the Argentinian Guillermo Coria and the Frenchmen Michel Llodro and Fabrice Santoro, the Spanish tennis players were special spectators at "the whites" last training session before their match in the Champions league against Rosenborg.

Just as it is customary to see many of Real's first team players in the boxes at the Masters Series Madrid cheering on their compatriots, our three tennis players are all fervent Madrid fans who have on more than one occasion been seen enjoying the football at the Santiago Bernabéu.

Taking advantage of being in Madrid, they made time to go along to Las Rozas and encourage the Madrid players for their match on Wednesday. While the Madrid players were training, they were kicking a ball around on one of the artificial grass pitches.

Interchange of greetings and gifts

Raúl, Robinho, Zidane, Baptista, Pavón, Mejía and Vanderlei Luxemburgo were some of the "madridistas" who came over to greet them and thank our best known tennis players for their visit. They all wished each other luck - some for the Champions League match against the Norwegians and others for their respective tennis matches. Robinho gave Feliciano Lopez his sweatshirt and Babtista gave his to Rafa Nadal, gestures which the tennis players greatly appreciated.

Impromptu players

What better way to demonstrate you support Madrid than on the pitch? The tennis players accepted Raúl's invitation to step on to the Las Rozas pitch and try to shoot penalties past Casillas in goal. Ferrero, Coria, Feliciano and Nadal took it in turns to practise shooting from the spot. Feliciano Lopez and Juan Carlos Ferrero scored excellent goals showing that they are not just football fans but also good with the ball. Watching them while they showed off their skills were Helguera, Gravesen, Beckham, Roberto Carlos, Sergio Ramos and Diego López.

RAFA NADAL : "It's something that we do almost every year, I love football, this is my team and I'm pleased to be here. Besides, yesterday in El Larguero, Robinha and I made a promise to each other: He promised me that if he scored a goal he'd dedicate it to me and I promised him in return that I'd try to make it through to Friday in the Masters. I hope I can keep that promise, that I can get there. We'll need to wait and see if the doctors let me try."

"Tomorrow I'll be at the match against Rosenborg, I'm playing at 4 o'clock. If I play, I'll have time to get there and if I don't play, I'll go straight there.... I hope we win at home tomorrow against Rosenborg. We need that win."

(JCF and Feli then talk about how well Real Madrid is playing lately, what big fans they are and how they wouldn't miss tomorrow's match for anything.)

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Seems that Rafa may or may not play for Madrid Masters.... His knee problems may be much more serious...

From Yahoo

Knee problems could force Nadal to join Madrid absentees

MADRID, Oct 18 (Reuters) - World number two Rafael Nadal could join the list of high-profile withdrawals from the Madrid Masters Series if the tendinitis in his knees does not improve before his opening match on Wednesday.

The 19-year-old top seed withdrew from the ATP event in Vienna last week. Although he said he was determined to play Madrid tournament the pain in his knees could cause him to drop out again.

"I've been training for a couple of days and the knee is still hurting," said Nadal. "I've had a scan done and it shows that I've got acute tendinitis."

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
telegraph.co.uk

Lame Nadal vows to play on
By Mark Hodgkinson in Madrid
(Filed: 18/10/2005)

Rafael Nadal is the face, or rather the pumped-up biceps, of this week's Madrid Masters, but the Spanish teenager and top seed disclosed last night that he had been experiencing considerable discomfort in another part of his body, with "severe" tendonitis in his left knee which may force him to withdraw injured.

The cement-court tournament is already missing Roger Federer, Switzerland's world No 1, who ruptured ankle ligaments during a training session last week. Also absent with injuries are Australian Lleyton Hewitt, American Andre Agassi and Russian Marat Safin, last year's champion.

The tournament directors, worried about the possibility of having a thin draw for the second successive year, will no doubt be requesting almost hourly news on Nadal's knee.

Nadal first damaged the knee on the practice court this month, an injury which forced him to withdraw from Vienna last week. The world No 2, who has a first-round bye here at the Casa del Campo and is scheduled to play his second-round match against Romanian Victor Hanecsu tomorrow, said that he had had to make do with light training sessions.

"I'm still a bit injured. I thought I was feeling better, but I started to really feel pain at the weekend. I had a scan and it is tendonitis, a severe one in my knee. But my will is to play no matter what happens. I'm going to reduce my training, which is not the best thing to keep my tennis level up and to keep fit, but it's the best thing for my knee," said Nadal, who is famed for his athletic and ferocious tennis, a style of play that is very demanding on the body.

Perhaps the French Open champion should not even be contemplating playing here, but he had been hoping to make use of Federer's absence. The pair of them have carved up the previous seven Masters Series tournaments this season, with Federer winning four and Nadal three. Here, Nadal could level things up.

It was somehow inevitable that much of the interest on the first day would centre on the catwalk models who have been hired as ball girls for the week, with the official website unashamedly referring to the return of the "long-legged lovelies", but it is unlikely that Greg Rusedski's opening round today will be a thing of beauty.

His match against Ivo Karlovic, a Croatian qualifier, is certainly more beast than beauty as both have huge service actions that promise to be especially effective in the Spanish capital, where the ball tends to fly through the thin air. Karlovic, the tallest man on tour at 6ft 10in, also achieves incredibly high bounce.

Should Rusedski beat him, he will meet Andy Roddick, the American second seed and another player with a fearsome service action. Roddick's first service has the same top speed as that of a high-performance sports car, 155mph, which is the world record for the fastest delivery.

Protennis.com

Nadal's Status for Wednesday

Rafael Nadal's playing status will be determined after an MRI that is scheduled for 10:30 Wednesday morning. According to his coach and uncle Toni Nadal, as long as the Spanish Federation doctor assures them that the tendinitis won't get worse by playing he'll play. He said that Rafael would rather win in Madrid than play in Shanghai.

Nadal practiced today with black bands around both knees and with flashbulbs popping all around him. Toni Nadal said the practice was lower intensity than usual, just designed to see how Rafael's knees would hold up on these courts.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Excerpts from Feliciano, Carlos Moya and Ferrero's press conferences wherein they were asked about Rafa:

From Feliciano's on 17 October 2005:

Q. Maybe doubles is your last hope for this tournament, but you know Nadal is injured, so maybe doubles is not going to take place.

Feli: Yeah, I don't think we're going to play because he's injured and he needs to keep his strength for singles. Well, the doctors advised him not to play doubles. I understand he's in a very important point of his career, having the whole Masters ahead of him.

Q. You know Rafa. Do you think he's going to withdraw from the singles in the tournament?

Feli: I don't know, but I'm sure he's going to play singles. I don't think he has any problem. However, he has an inflammation in his knee. The fewer number of matches he plays, the better. But I think he's going to still play singles.

Q. Are you disappointed? If someone asks me advice and does not do what I want, I'd be disappointed.

Feli: You do like the subject (smiling). Rafa has already spoken. We all have spoken and given our opinion. Still he has decided to choose Emilio. We agree on the fact that he's able, Emilio is able to do this job. The only thing is that the president has not taken our advice. We do know that. We are a bit disappointed, but that's it. Most of the players, we wanted a captain, which is Costa. Well, still, the president has decided to choose Emilio for his reasons.

What you do need to know is we have nothing against Emilio. Even if it's not our first choice. The thing is that we know Albert better. But we do believe that Emilio is going to do a great job. The past is the past, the decision is made. We need to give him confidence and create a great atmosphere towards the Davis Cup next year. That's it.

_____________________________________-

From Ferrero on 18 October 2005:

Q. What do you think about the "Nadal Mania" here in Spain?

Ferrero: I think it's normal. This moment he's playing good. He played the whole year, I mean, he won 10 tournaments. It's normal that Spain is thinking in only Nadal. But anyway, you know, we are here. We are the same tennis players as before. We are not that far away.

From Carlos Moya on 18 October 2005:

Q. You were No. 1 in the world. Juan Carlos has been, too. There's never been a "Nadal Mania" before like that. How can you explain that?

Moya: Because maybe none of us won 10 tournaments in the same year and none of us won three Masters Series and one Grand Slam when we were 19. That's why probably.

Q. Are you surprised?

Moya: About what's happening to him or about what he's won already?

Q. What's happening, the popularity.

Moya: No, I guess it's normal. He's doing something that not even Federer has done. What he's done so far only Borg or McEnroe or Connors or these guys did it before. I guess it's normal that everybody's talking about him like that.

Q. You're Nadal's friend. Has he spoken to you about his injury? What would you do, or advise him, if you were in a similar situation?

Moya: Well, we each have our own body. I'm not the person to advise Nadal about his injury and his knee. He's facing a difficult situation because it's the only tournament being played in Spain. He also needs to approach No. 1, too. He has a very compromising situation not as mine, but very compromising situation. Different levels.

Q. Nadal has already said he'll be at the football stadium tomorrow.

Moya: Well, I have been twice, and last time I went there it was not a good experience. I went when Mallorca won 0 2. Then with Barcelona, well, it was not a good experience. I have nothing against it. It's a pity because of the schedule. Let's see if my match if the time of my match can be changed.

·
Registered
247 Posts
He will play at 4PM :worship:

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
am i the only one who can't see his matches???:sad:

Reactions: Saumon

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
PRESS CONFERENCE OF RAFAEL NADAL

Wednesday, 19th of October, 2005

Q. Tell us about your feelings. How did you feel about your knee in the match?

Rafa: Well, my knee was fine. I had these things that helped me also. It didn't hurt at the beginning, just a little bit when I got my foot on the court. But I was fine.

What concerns my playing, I think it has been a good match. The match actually was not easy. Despite the beginning, when I was a bit nervous, a bit slow, after three weeks without playing, because I haven't been able to train these days because of my knee. Despite all this, as I'm saying, I'm happy because I think I've done well. It was an important match. My serve has been there. More or less fine, yes.

Q. Does this victory change your goals towards these tournaments?

Rafa: Well, no, it doesn't. Nothing changes. The tournament is a normal tournament. The only thing that could change would be an injury. This is a normal tournament. Tomorrow I'll be playing. It's a very difficult match, second round, which I need to win. They're both difficult opponents, Moya, Robredo. I'll try to stay the way I'm playing today without making errors, as I was doing at the beginning of the match.

I was more comfortable. I felt more comfortable afterwards.

Q. We've said these days you've been taking MRIs and all this. Are you ready right now to play the rest of the tournament properly or are you going to continue visiting doctors and taking care of your knee?

Rafa: Probably I'll just continue with my specific treatment to take care of my knee, not to force it. Before going on the court today, I did. But for the rest of it, I've done quite a good first round which has given me confidence. This is important, to start well.

Q. Are you surprised because of the reaction of your knee? Is it a good surprise?

Rafa: Well, yeah. I thought my knee was going to support me. It didn't hurt. So, yeah, I'm happy.

Q. You told us the other day that if your knee was 70%, you would play. What has been the percentage of your knee?

Rafa: Well, actually it didn't hurt. This is very positive. I do feel like playing. That's positive.

Q. You said you were going to visit the Bernabeu Stadium today. Are you still wanting to go or are you going to rest? Tomorrow, sorry.

Rafa: It's many hours ahead (laughter).

Q. What about all those dropshot Hanescu made? Was he trying you?

Rafa: I think that's his normal play. That's the way he plays usually. It's not easy to play on these type of surfaces, to come to the net. But I do think you can control the ball easier on other surfaces.

These results are quite normal. I was feeling gradually more comfortable as the match went on. However, there was a bad return on my part, the first backhand I returned. What was it? I was standing too far away.

Then the second one was better. I made this lob. That was a pity because 3 Love in the tiebreak, then I made a good return, I was able to win. It was tough. It was a tough situation. The tiebreak, I was down again, so...

Q. The doctor said yesterday that you're here because this is Masters Series Madrid. Why is it special to be here?

Rafa: Well, I've been playing well here. I surpassed my own ranking. It's been long since I last played here in Spain, so I was looking forward to playing here. I think the crowd is behaving real well, both on the court and on the training courts. I'm thankful.

Q. Your training today before the match, it was incredible to see all those people watching you like if you were an artist or actor, someone really important. How do you feel about that?

Rafa: Well, I try to keep those thoughts aside, although this support makes me want to improve, to play the tournament. It has influenced me to make the decision to play. They give me confidence like they did in the Davis Cup. Every time I'm here in Spain, I feel support. It gives me confidence to carry on.

Q. Coria said today that his dream for Shanghai is to be a semifinalist. Do you dream of Shanghai?

Rafa: No. I dream of tomorrow's match, which is very important. This tournament is very important for me. It means a lot to me. I don't want to think ahead. We'll see what happens.

Q. It's great that you're playing the tournament. How is the knee and could you feel it during the match?

Rafa: Yeah, today I very happy because I feel very good with my knee. I don't have any problem no all match. So that's good.

Q. How did you hurt it? Was it during training?

Rafa: No, is a (inaudible), is tendonitis. This year I play a lot of matches. It's for that reason I have this problem, no?

Q. Is it 100% now or is it still getting better?

Rafa: The tests say it's not a hundred percent for sure, no? But I feel good. I don't have pain. So that's important for me, no? When I go to the court, I will have confidence with my knees. So for now I am good.

Q. You went a break of service down in the first set.

Rafa: Always I begin with break up. Today is the position changed.

Q. Because this is a Spanish tournament, was that part of your reason for playing?

Rafa: It’s important for me to play here. Last time I play here with my public and my public was in Cordoba, in Barcelona. Is important play at home now. Is very important tournament, the most important tournament in Spain. I want to play because the last two years I play very bad here.

Q. You're committed to playing Basel next week. Are you still intending to fulfill that commitment in Basel?

Rafa: I don't know yet, no. I will see after this tournament. I want to play, of course, but doesn’t depend on me, depends of my knees and the doctors say me what's the best for my knees, no?

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
Vamos Rafa :woohoo: !!!!

Reactions: ~EMiLiTA~

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
me too, Nadal deserves it!!! :)

21 - 40 of 128 Posts