Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking 2020 off, due to lack of TT managers, I am set to restart UTT, we will greatly miss PetecoKraus whom was amazing at running swiss system, and I would like to get back to running them that way after AO 2021 , players unanimously voted that swiss system was best when the game first tried it out in season 2.

For now I am going with invitations to fill draws, with players that are dependable to send, but if you would like to join in, send me a message , it's hard to say who is active and would like to play.

·
Super Moderator
13,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really nice to see this back.
Now to see if I can get into running Swiss system like Peteco did so well, I never got the sheet he was using , so not quite sure how to organize it properly, when I started it manually a few years ago it was a bit difficult to organize and not have repeat match ups.

·
Super Moderator
13,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'm done, I can manage the next event and give it a try. What event will be the next one?
That would be great if you have time, Rotterdam looks like a pretty good event , with a very strong EL, I was thinking that or Just Miami.

Rotterdam starts March 1 & Miami March 24 (I was thinking same as this week from RD32 in MIAMI) , But I guess that would not work for swiss system, only if Miami run like AO.

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
Hi Wesley ..... Did some research and found this site - Tournament management that seems suitable for creating swiss system draws. You can even set "Forbiden pairs" to prevent same players playing tiwce.

How about the tennis tipping part ? Is there a spreadsheet or similar that automatizes the management or the rest is pretty much manual ?

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
13,129 Posts
Hi Wesley ..... Did some research and found this site - Tournament management that seems suitable for creating swiss system draws. You can even set "Forbiden pairs" to prevent same players playing tiwce.

How about the tennis tipping part ? Is there a spreadsheet or similar that automatizes the management or the rest is pretty much manual ?
Please make @Yolita and I forbidden pairs so we dont meet again ha

·
Super Moderator
13,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

thanks, i'll take a peak later tonight after Estoril updates, sounds great though!

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
thanks, i'll take a peak later tonight after Estoril updates, sounds great though!
Very easy to use:
o enter the participants in the same format you have them on the UTT site (each player on separate row)
o First round is random
o then you need to enter results so the standings are formed
o then you draw the second round based on standings (no need to put forbidden pairs for second round since winner plays winner)
o too bad we can't use standings since it is suited for chess tournaments

·
Super Moderator
13,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very easy to use:
o enter the participants in the same format you have them on the UTT site (each player on separate row)
o First round is random
o then you need to enter results so the standings are formed
o then you draw the second round based on standings (no need to put forbidden pairs for second round since winner plays winner)
o too bad we can't use standings since it is suited for chess tournaments
looks pretty simple as you say, i signed up and yes if you are willing to give it a try hopefully it will work well.

Snowwy has created a spreadsheet that works well for him, I had some struggles, but a lot of it was because of rain out and day 2 could not be used properly with day 1 results, which thru the whole thing off for me, but I think it works well.

can be a back up for you if you want to test this, see how user friendly it is, and if it goes well I can try it also in Rome.

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
looks pretty simple as you say, i signed up and yes if you are willing to give it a try hopefully it will work well.

Snowwy has created a spreadsheet that works well for him, I had some struggles, but a lot of it was because of rain out and day 2 could not be used properly with day 1 results, which thru the whole thing off for me, but I think it works well.

can be a back up for you if you want to test this, see how user friendly it is, and if it goes well I can try it also in Rome.
Can I get a copy of Snowwy's spreadsheet ?

Reactions: a1canada

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
hi Wesley @a1canada ...I have few more questions

We start on Monday and the deadline is 6PM on Sunday. the R1 draw goes out after the 6PM deadline. Players signing up (and/or sending picks) between 6PM Sunday and Monday 11 am are ALTs in the order they sign up.

Scenario 1: Even number of players sign up till deadline.
I guess under this scenario, we only replace ALTs for signed players that don't send. In case there are more non-senders than ALTs, all ALTs play and players with no opponents play against each other.

Scenario 2: Odd number of players sign up till deadline
First ALT is in, even if everyone sends. The rest is same as in Scenario 1

And for both scenarios, ALTs are replacing non-senders from the top of the draw. First ALT replaces first non-sender in the draw and so on

Q1: Is this how Swiss system managers handle Round 1 ?

Q2: Second question is about the "Random player". How the picks for the random player are selected ? Are we randomly selecting the picks of the other players OR we randomly select winners of each match in the OOP ?

Q3: What happens to players that forget to send in one of the later swiss system rounds ? Do they just get L and obviously number of correct picks stays unchanged ?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi Wesley @a1canada ...I have few more questions

We start on Monday and the deadline is 6PM on Sunday. the R1 draw goes out after the 6PM deadline. Players signing up (and/or sending picks) between 6PM Sunday and Monday 11 am are ALTs in the order they sign up.

Scenario 1: Even number of players sign up till deadline.
I guess under this scenario, we only replace ALTs for signed players that don't send. In case there are more non-senders than ALTs, all ALTs play and players with no opponents play against each other.

Scenario 2: Odd number of players sign up till deadline
First ALT is in, even if everyone sends. The rest is same as in Scenario 1

And for both scenarios, ALTs are replacing non-senders from the top of the draw. First ALT replaces first non-sender in the draw and so on

Q2: Second question is about the "Random player". How the picks for the random player are selected ? Are we randomly selecting the picks of the other players OR we randomly select winners of each match in the OOP ?

Q3: What happens to players that forget to send in one of the later swiss system rounds ? Do they just get L and obviously number of correct picks stays unchanged ?

Thanks
yes this works fine, but we will not turn anyone away after draw is made, if you have more ALTS then missing picks, just pair them against each other at the end of the draw, then they will go into the draw for day 2. Basically you are the manager and can decide how to handle it, we just want to be sure everyone who signs up and sends picks can play.

What usually happens is no ALT's and some missing picks, so we just pair up the players against each other vs missing picks , if there is an odd number in the end, they play vs random picks

what we decided on this some time ago, is to find the players picks that is playing vs random player, and the very next set of picks will be against him, if he is the last set of picks, then the picks just before his (don't think has happened yet)

yes just a Loss and fall down the rankings

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
Hi @NextGenKing .
Will you be able to accept my UTT picks and picks of my opponents ?

If not, can you recomend someone in our TimeZone ?

Thanks

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
13,129 Posts

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
Hi Wesley @a1canada

I would appreciate if you can check for errors, or if you have any suggestion how I can improve.
I'm gonna tend the ST thread now .. pretty much neglected it today :)

Thanks

Reactions: a1canada
1 - 20 of 38 Posts