Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Damn shame. Hopefully the French think about the players and play behind closed doors, otherwise we will never get any tennis at this rate.

·
Your visions will happen
52,921 Posts
Come on USTA

Play it without people in the stands and work on negotiating a better TV deal down the road

There will be no fans in attendance until 2021 imo, just play it w/o fans

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
If there are no crowds, the whole sport industry and media industry will sit at home, bite their nails, and do nothing. And for how long? That's ridiculous.

The virus has scared us all enough, and long enough. Enough is enough. Now, it is time to think outside the box and figure out the solutions. There's a saying, "live, learn, and adapt."

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Just need to test it on a ChaIIenger/ATP 250 triaI tournament minus crowd first before staging a Iarger tourn./major & that's the prudent course of action in my humbIe opinion.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
If there are no crowds, the whole sport industry and media industry will sit at home, bite their nails, and do nothing. And for how long? That's ridiculous.

The virus has scared us all enough, and long enough. Enough is enough. Now, it is time to think outside the box and figure out the solutions. There's a saying, "live, learn, and adapt."

It's too dangerous to do Sports Events without having a vacine for COVID-19 especially in the USA. Maybe it's time for you to accept that.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
It's too dangerous to do Sports Events without having a vacine for COVID-19 especially in the USA. Maybe it's time for you to accept that.
Do you realise that a vaccine will not be available to the wider public until middle-to-late 2021, at the absolute quickest? And once a vaccine is available, it will take even longer for every person who wants a vaccine to receive it. And none of this is even considering the possibility that the vaccine will prove to be ineffective. Tennis will not survive if it waits until a vaccine, and most of its players (who are lower ranked and struggling financially) will be forced to retire.

Tennis will resume in less affected areas without the public, probably by late summer/early autumn.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Do you realise that a vaccine will not be available to the wider public until middle-to-late 2021, at the absolute quickest? And once a vaccine is available, it will take even longer for every person who wants a vaccine to receive it. And none of this is even considering the possibility that the vaccine will prove to be ineffective. Tennis will not survive if it waits until a vaccine, and most of its players (who are lower ranked and struggling financially) will be forced to retire.

Tennis will resume in less affected areas without the public, probably by late summer/early autumn.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Come on USTA

Play it without people in the stands and work on negotiating a better TV deal down the road

There will be no fans in attendance until 2021 imo, just play it w/o fans
That's what I see this year: tennis without crowds possible since late summer/early autumn. Hopefully there will be some slam(s).

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
That's what I see this year: tennis without crowds possible since late summer/early autumn. Hopefully there will be some slam(s).
I think there is a good chance we will see Roland Garros and a few other clay events this year without the public. Maybe some hard court events after that.

·
Premium Member
12,346 Posts
I'm not sure where people get the notion that things are going to be magically better.

Where are the players going to stay during the US Open stay? In an infected hotel? What about players who do not have a sanitized private jet like Djokovic or Nadal?

US Open is basically a COVID hot spot treating patients and people sick with the virus, can they disinfect the whole place by July?

What if one Ball kid is sick and spreads the virus to any of the Players? What if one player is sick and is slobbering over the tennis ball with his sweat , blood and tears and then the other player serving does one of their mannerisms and touches their face? Will they take the temperatures of all 128 entrants before they can play? What about that everyone will be travelling internationally?

There are so many variables that we just would not consider if US Open was to go with business as usual.

·
God loves a trier
4,800 Posts
Priorities for responsible governments, roughly in order of importance:

a) Stopping the mass dying

b) Protecting the most vulnerable

c) Preventing the health system from being overwhelmed

d) Ensuring the supply of necessary goods

e) Promoting urgent research into possible vaccines/treatments

f) Keeping the economy going as much as consistent with a, b and c

g) Allowing people a few freedoms that may run against a, b and c, but that are necessary for general physical and mental health

h) Allowing small domestic businesses to reopen

..............................................................................................................

z) Hosting a major international sporting event, even behind closed doors

·
Your visions will happen
52,921 Posts

g) Allowing people a few freedoms that may run against a, b and c, but that are necessary for general physical and mental health

..............................................................................................................

Yes, I agree, in a modern society that cares more for the health of the population than the health of the economy

But this is not that. This is Trump's America. Where conservatives think that social distancing and stay at home orders are not for the general health of the public, but are governmental overreach intended to trample on their freedoms. Or some bullshit like that

·
Premium Member
26,198 Posts

I respectfully disagree. Clauses a-d are going without any involvement or interconnection of sports, arts and leisure activities.
Though sport is not a "kind of" leisure activity if it is done professionally, then it's work/business. And so in this sense sport has to continue, if you keep all "super" safety regulations, then everyone could be safe.
You will not agree with this, but I just despise this whole "super safety" kind of communication during this pandemic. This is getting just way tanatophobic these days.

Sport has to go on, if with all "super safety" needed, then that way.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well I just submitted my PTO for this trip at least I'll know sooner rather than later if its going to even happen. They better not decide in June to have it with spectators then at the last minute cancel the spectators and/or event

·
justice for all
18,883 Posts
Tennis is not football. Playing behind closed doors is highly unlikely for many different reasons.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
If some people do not like the idea of us tennis fans hoping to see tennis back as soon as possible and discussing many options for it to operate behind closed doors or move events to other slots, then why the fuck do you keep coming here? You are in a fucking tennis forum, just want to remind you in case you forgot. If you want to discuss about creating vaccines and how many people are dying every day, I suggest you to go to many other places.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts