Mens Tennis Forums banner

What say you?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
51,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was teaching my junior program the other day, with kids ranging from age 6-13, developmental years, of course. And I was noticing this one little Asian girl (named Serena, ironically), struggling to master the 2 handed backhand. So I stopped for a second and showed her how to hit a one handed backhand. Almost immediately, she was starting to make contact in the middle of the strings and hit a few nice shots.

Then, the head pro of the clinic came over and said to me: "No! No! Everybody uses 2 hands on the backhand!"

Me: "But I think she can do better with a one handed backhand."

Him: "No, no, we can't. The USPTA specifically says not to teach any kid the one handed backhand until at least 12 years old. Always 2 hands on a backhand, these kids, their shoulders muscles are not fully formed yet."

Me: "That's bullshit, man, and you know it. Why does the USPTA have such an idiotic rule?"

Him: "I don't know, I don't make the rules, I just follow them."

He then proceeded to teach her and the kids the 2 handed backhand and sent me to another court.

What a joke. All the kids are hittig forehands with one hand, why not backhands with one hand? Their shoulders seem fine hitting a forehand. And we all know how difficult it is to switch from 2 to 1 hand backhand, especially at that age, just ask Pete Sampras how hard it was. But also ask him if it was worth it.

This is part of the reason for the lack of one handed backhands in the game today. Not because it is weak, or can't handle high balls, bullshit. But because it is coming from the top, the USPTA. Coaches and teachers are trained not to teach kids the one handed backhand.

I also believe this is a main reason for the lack of American stars in tennis. Not just laziness and complacency, those are a given, but absolute stupidity and close-mindedness of the coaches.

Funny how we've come full circle in tennis. In the old days, it was only 1 handed backhand, anyone that used 2 or hit open stance was considered an outcast. Now the game is bursting with 2 handed backhands and open stance shots.

What are your opinions on this? Is it bullshit?

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Re: USPTA has FROBIDDEN coaches from teaching the 1 handed backhand

Frobidden :haha:

·
Registered
22,562 Posts

Of course it's bullshit, a single hander suits certain people better. It's really disgusting to force everyone to play the same robotic game.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts

I don't know (I don't think) if there's a rule imposed by the national federation, but I've heard stories in France about some clubs where coaches were specifically enforced to teach only the 2-handed backhand now.

·
Your visions will happen
51,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Frobidden :haha:
NID that the first response would be about spelling than the actual content :rolleyes:

I don't know (I don't think) if there's a rule imposed by the national federation, but I've heard stories in France about some clubs where coaches were specifically enforced to teach only the 2-handed backhand now.
It is like this in France too? :facepalm:

·
30,413 Posts
Yeah, you can understand why, it is much more likely to lead to injury for children using the anterior shoulder muscles.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts

This is just too funny. Tennis shots come naturally, especially the serve. Players should be allowed to express themselves. The single-hander is all but dead sadly. One of these days a new Federer will emerge. I thought Dimitrov would follow Federer and Sampras in making the single-hander appealing again. The single-hander is such a beautiful shot. Are well maybe in 10 years time a champion with a single handed backhand will emerge.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
weird thing about this is that it wasn't that long ago when players used to hit the backhand exclusively with one hand

·
Registered
853 Posts
You should be able to play both.

I have a single handed backhand but play two handed during times of duress ;).

·
Premium Member
21,595 Posts
weird thing about this is that it wasn't that long ago when players used to hit the backhand exclusively with one hand
Lol, according to Novak, he also used to play with one-hander in the beginning, and only switched later because he was too skinny to get some power off it :)

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
they should teach their kids to return better and have variety;footwork;speed and play at the baseline and at the net and most of all they should focus on teaching the kids how to play on ALL fucking surfaces unlike the sorry punks they've got now :rolleyes:

I hope the USTA waits another 15 years before they have a slam champion on either side:angel:

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Yeah, you can understand why, it is much more likely to lead to injury for children using the anterior shoulder muscles.
Uhm. Perhaps with the modern rackets but it used to be quite different in the past. When I learned to play as a kid - yes, a couple of decades ago :angel: - it wasn't forbidden to play a double-hander, but it came pretty close!
My tennis instructor at that time (and I'm sure he wasn't the only one) considered the one-hander as the only 'pure' technique and the double-hander as largely inferior. My complaints that one Mr. Jimmy Connors did pretty well with his ugly double-hander in those days was ignored, as he was considered to be the exception of the rule... how times have changed since then.

Yep.
I think it's mainly a matter of 1) changed racket technology, and 2) the sad fact that most folks appear to be lemmings, "following-the-leader". The double-hander is what works best nowadays, so it's considered to be best for all. Which may well be questionable.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Where is the poll option, "Neither, the thread is bullshit. Johnny Capo is a chronic liar, fabricator, and exaggerator?"

·
Registered
20,717 Posts
They are frustrated with Fed's score against American players so they don't want a reminder of any type on Fed

3,728 Posts
americans are the smartest people on the planet

nadal is the only guy to ever exploit a good 1 hbh- and even then that was only one facet of the rivalry

1 handers allow for more power

1 - 20 of 44 Posts