Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An article from Gugas site. Translated by me. :p

Guga: practicing hard in Santa Catarina

Gustavo Kuerten came back to Brasil but he´s not relaxing. The three-time Roland Garros winner is on a heavy practice rhythm for his next competition, the USOpen, to start August 26 in New York.

Along with coach Larri Passos, he arrived in Florianopolis on Thursday and that was his only day off. Friday was already a day of work.

Guga´s daily routine is including three hours of intense praticing on hard courts, in addition to the physicall trainings. He worked even on Saturday.

"We are on our normal schedule of work, but spending more hours on court than on the gym. There´s no other solution besides work. This is the way to go" Larri explained.

After the USOpen, Guga, who this week is world number 36 and 64 on the Entry System and Race of the Champions, respectively, comes back to Brasil to play the Brasil Open, on Costa do Sauipe, and the Davis Cup, on Rio de Janeiro.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Thanks for the article, hitman!:)

Good luck to Guga at the Open! VAMOS GUGA!!! :bounce:

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem Jessi. :)
Actually, its good to know that someone is reading... Sometimes I feel like if Im talking to myself here. :eek:

:wavey:

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Good luck, Guga :D
I'll post here too, from now on if you don't mind?

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be wonderful. Now we just need something to talk about... :eek:
Guga is just practicing, so we have to wait for news to come out.

Welcome! :wavey:

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
lol. I agree, there's not much going on with Guga at the moment, so not alot to talk about. But i'm sure this place will pick up again come the US Open. :)

Btw, i have some great pics of Marat and Guga that i can post! ;)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thank you for the article hitman. :)

I hope he does well at the Open, but I'm not expecting much (this year)

I would be interested in those Marat and Guga pics, Jessi ;)

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Article from todays paper.

Guga´s only concerned about getting his best form back

Guga started this week in his worst position in the rankings since his 1997 Roland Garros title. He still holds the brazilian number one on the Entry System ranking, but he is now on the 36th position. He lost 17 spots. And it will get worse, since he is in Florianopolis and wont defend the 175 points won last year in the Indianapolis final.
Guga wont play again untill the 26th, in New York, when he will have to defend 250 points in the USOpen. But he keeps on saying his only concern after the surgery is to get back to his best form.
Guga arrived in Brasil last thursday after losing the first round of Cincinnati, and has been on a three-hour hard court practice routine since then.
- We are on our normal schedule of work, but spending more hours on court than on the gym. There´s no other solution besides work. This is the way to go - Larri explained.

After the USOpen, Guga, who this week is world number 36 and 64 on the Entry System and Race of the Champions, respectively, comes back to Brasil to play the Brasil Open, on Costa do Sauipe, and the Davis Cup, on Rio de Janeiro.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guga faces Julien Boutter in the first round.
Its not a very good draw, since he has historically many problems with all attacking net players on hard courts and when he has low confidence. Boutter had a win over Guga in one of the indoor tournaments from last year, and then again at this years Aussie Open, in a match where Guga went from a 2 sets to love and a break lead and playing very well to a five setter loss playing bad.
What goes for Guga is that he usually doesnt lose many times in a row for the same player.
But his moment is just so bad, I dont know what to think. We just have to be patient and wait for him to get his confidence back. :sad:
Ah, to make it a little better, theres yet another chance of a Marat-Guga rematch, since they would face each other in the 2nd round.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Guga's draw is so tough. Why couldn't guga play a clay-courter or something. I still think he might be able to beat Boutter, if he does not get discouraged by his big serves.

It seems to me, that all the hard servers always play well, when beat guga. Why can't their serve be off the day they play guga?.:confused:

Well good luck to guga. :bounce:

I hope you make it to the later rounds and win the tournament :D

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hitman, your right about Guga not losing many times in a row to the same player. Guga is very smart! He learns from his losses. And after being so close to beating him at the AO, he does have a good chance. The only thing is that Guga isnt 100%. Thats my main concern.

And then if he does get through, then theres Safin. Man, what a match that would be. :)

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guga just beat Julien Boutter, 3-6 7-6 6-1 6-0. Julien had problems with his elbow from the start of the third set.
Whats more important about Guga is that he was moving very well in the end of the match. He started slow and fearing the pain. When he got the rhythm on the return, he started being more aggresive, and his shots from the baseline started to get better. Slowly, his serve improved, he tried some rushes to the net, and some variations. In the end, his performance was fairly good. Now, a match with Safin. Both of them usually bring their best against eachother, and as Marat had a marathon today, it will be a very tough match.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
:wavey:

i saw some of Guga's match last night at the Open. he was looking great!

GOOOOOOO Gustavo! take out Marat in the 2nd round!:bounce:

·
Registered
5,529 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
It was just so good to see Guga again on tv....they were nice to do that

Guga/Safin

one of them wasn't supposed to win.lol

hmm, will it be Guga whos slowly getting back to his 'ol sweet self or Marat who had that incredibly long match?

GO GUUUUGAAAAAAA!!!!! :)

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guga and Marat play on Friday. It deserves a night match. :D

It should be very good. :bounce:

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
I want to see this match, but at the same time I don't. This is one of those GRRR :fiery: times when I wish they didn't play so damn early in the tournament, both deserve to move deep into the draw.

But it is nice to know Guga is moving well and going for his shots again. :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
I agree with both of you. It should be a final and it should be a night match.lol

But seriously, both these guys deserve the respect of a night match. If they have to kick off an American player, then they should. Its the right thing to do. They have no idea how much these guys are loved.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guga´s interview after his match with Boutter. He seems focused, happy, and motivated about the match with Safin. :)
There´s a link to video there.
http://www.usopen.org/news/interviews/66222f90dc272dbe00256c2300523529.html

G. KUERTEN/J. Boutter
THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. How do you feel physically? How does it feel to get through a match?
GUSTAVO KUERTEN: Yeah, for me was nice. I feel strong. As the match goes, I feel better on the court. Moving better. Well, was a great fight for me. Maybe I push a little bit higher for my confidence to the next match.

Q. What is it about the night matches? I know the Mirnyi match last year... You had some real exciting matches.
GUSTAVO KUERTEN: Yeah, I think like today wasn't to be a night match but it just took very long for us to go to the court. Guys like him, serving very well, it's not so easy to play. You know, wasn't getting too many balls to get my rhythm going. But as far as I get the lead, I think I start to play much better.

Q. What do you think about the next round? That could be a Grand Slam final in a lot of tournaments.
GUSTAVO KUERTEN: Yeah, I think for me, it will be a very important match. Maybe my motivation is gonna be high. I hope to be very enthusiastic and inspired in this day so I can, you know, play the same level as him and try to surprise him. For me, would be great.

Q. You and him have played some incredible matches in the past. What is it about your styles that make for good tennis? Do you enjoy playing him?
GUSTAVO KUERTEN: Yeah, I think we know each other pretty well. Is like tough for one of us just overpower the other opponent. So, it's like, you know, a very hard match to play. The mind counts a lot, too. So it's gonna be probably decide by just a little bit.

Q. Given like everything that's happened with the surgery and your recovery and everything, what was your goal just coming in to this tournament?
GUSTAVO KUERTEN: Yeah, I come to try to win a few matches. Like now it's -- I don't know if is good or bad. But just maybe it's the match of the tournament for me if I win against -- if I beat Safin right now. It's gonna be a big step up in my comeback. So it will be, yeah, the match of the tournament. I feel like I'm gonna be feeling perfect for the next year.
So, as more match I can win this year, I'm gonna be, you know, more and more please about this.

(Note: this is a partial transcript)

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
From Gugas site, translated

GUGA FACES SAFIN ON FRIDAY IN THE US OPEN

Motivated by his good win in the start of the US Open, tuesday night, where he beat the french Julien Boutter 3 sets to 1, Guga is now getting ready to face the russian Marat Safin, on friday, on an attempt to reach the third round of the last Grand Slam of this season.

The match with Safin, second seed and winner here in 2000, is one of the most expected of the tournament, and Guga already said that he will try to surprise the russian.

"It was very good to leave the court as a winner, especially for it being a guy that had beaten me twice. I was feeling better and better during the match, and even in the end, I stepped up and garanteed my lead just as Rubinho Barrichello in his last race. I got a lot of confidence for my next match, which for me will be the match of the tournament. I am gonna motivate myself to the most to play and try to surprise Safin.

Larri Passos, who was very happy with his pupil´s game against Boutter, said that what he liked the most about Guga´s mind game was that he fought himself to the win. "He played with his heart and when the match was very tight, he kept on fighting, got through it and that´s how he should keep going."

Larri also talked about Guga´s serve variation. "When we started the preparation to the US Open, I told him that some sacrifices would have to take place. We spent more than three hours a day on court and sometimes Guga would leave totally drained, but now you can see the result of our hard work. Yesterday, for example, he could mix a lot with his serve and even though he didn´t have many aces, he had a 61% rate," said Larri. "With Safin, he will have to do the same."

This Wednesday, Guga worked on his physic in the morning, came to Flushing Meadows by the beggining of the afternoon, practiced with Larri and he would have another one in the end of the day with his coach.

With 35 points already into his account for the world ranking, in which he is number 46 and other 7 for the race, Guga will have 75 and 15, respectively, if he beats Safin, second place.

The brazilian and the russian played eachother five times, all of them in big ocasions and Safin leads the head to head, 3-2.

The last time they played was in 2000, Indianapolis´ final, and Guga won 2 sets to 1. But the most unforgettable match between the two was in the same year, TMS Hamburg final, in which Guga beat Safin in 3 sets to 2, in over four hours of play.

GUGA X SAFIN - HEAD TO HEAD
1998 - Roland Garros - clay. 2nd round Safin d. Guga 3/6 7/6 3/6 6/1 6/4
1999 – Australian Open / hard 2nd round Safin d. Guga 6/3 5/7 3/6 6/3 6/4
1999 – Masters Series Paris / indoor carpet – 2nd round Safin d. Guga 7/6 3/6 7/6
2000 – Masters Series Hamburg / clay - final – Guga d. Safin 6/4 5/7 6/4 5/7 7/6
2000 – ATP Indianapolis / hard– final – Guga d. Safin 3/6 7/6 7/6

1 - 20 of 46 Posts