Mens Tennis Forums banner

WWW: Karlovic or Dolgopolov

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be interesting to watch this match of unconventional players.
However, Dr. Ivo shows pics of his year form, Dolgo is far from his best...
Is all evident?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Someone needs to take Dr Ivo out as his game is such an all serve snorefest. I doubt Dolgo can cope with Ivo's serve.

·
Banned
6,118 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Dolgo has good reflexes and he usually uses his forehand slice return well against big servers so he should get some balls back. There is one big minus is though; he can´t use dropshots at all since Ivo Will be at the net all the time anyway. Impossible to predict the winner. I just hope Dolgo takes it.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Dolgo zones in and out too much throughout the course of a match to beat such a big server.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I hope Ivo will win it. Djoko would destroy Dolgopolov in R16, but vs Ivo it would be first real test of his form. BTW,Ivo and Djoko met only once on hardcourt, 3 years ago Ivo won 7-6, 7-6.

Ivo in 4.

·
♤23♤
32,996 Posts
Dolgo often has blackouts and Ivo will take advantage of that and win.

·
Premium Member
29,538 Posts
Dolgo will probably clown around too much so Ivo will take it.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I'll be rooting for Dolgo of course, but I think Ivo should be the favorite. Dolgo already struggles to on return of serve and I think a big sever could really trouble him. He beat Querrey earlier this year and Tsonga a few times but they don't serve as big as Karlovic or Isner. If he can get himself into rallies he should use the variety to move Ivo around the court and needs to stay focused throughout. For now I'll say Ivo in 4.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Before tournament started i would say Dolgo in 3-4 sets, but now with Dolgo struggling with Cipolla- almost was eliminated by him and Karlovic in 3R with loosing so far only 1 set i must say Ivo is fav here i think. Ivo is serving big like usual but also his FH is clicking and also he is good at the net. Dolgo has great variable game - to move someone like Ivo arround the court and i think his slices should be effective against such tall guy, but really when his game is so much up and down - like against Cipolla, he is in big disadvantage here, Dolgo could play great whole set, but if he will have one bad service game- and Ivo will broke him it could be over - and this could happen in every set against Ivo- and we all know how Up and down Dolgo could be - he needs at least be average - not great and bad but average is much better for him against somebody like Ivo. Also his FS % is horrible all the time in 40s% that is not good against somebody like Ivo in TB-s... and his 2nd serve is crap and Ivo is hitting here great FH return bombs.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
I really hope Dog wins because he could give Novak some trouble :worship:
I have to disagree with that (not with Dolgo winning, of course, as I like him very much ;)) - but I fear Dolgo will be too inconsistent to be able to do any damage to Djoko, whereas when Karlovic is on and his serve works well, he might get a chance to win at least one TB (which is kind of a lottery as we all know). Not that I give any of the two much chance against Djoko at all of course.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I really hope Dog wins because he could give Novak some trouble :worship:
I agree, but really both guys would give Djokovic a different kind of test. Dolgopolov would be a much more enjoyable match.
Dolgo's form is sort of a question for me, and Ivo played quite well vs. Gasquet. But that letdown he had in the 3rd and 4th sets worry me, I'm going to pick Dolgo because I think he can be much quicker on the return than Gasquet and will surely have an easier time holding his serve and nerve if he is pumping some big first serves. Really a toss-up to me though

1 - 20 of 35 Posts