Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW RECORDS BREAKING: US Open men's and women's singles champions will receive $3.3 million in prize money this year, a 10 percent boost over last year. Runner-ups will take home $1.6 million each with every player who makes the New York main draws of 128 assured at least $39,500. Wimbledon champions Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams each won $2.9 million last weekend while this year's Australian Open winners each made $2.5 million and the French Open champions each took $2 million.

In all, US Open prize money has increased by 67 percent over the past three years.

:crazy: :tennis: :drink:

Where is this going to end? I predict it to hit a crisis and drop sharply though, that is after the big 3 are out of the picture.

·
Registered
27,317 Posts
Please USTA, I am begging you

Just take a little bit of that money and increase prize money in futures and challengers
It's heartwarming that a future number one still cares about the average Joes playing futures.

·
Your visions will happen
50,103 Posts
It's heartwarming that a future number one still cares about the average Joes playing futures.
Why give the winner 3.3? You are bidding against yourself. Wimbledon only gave 2.9M, why not give 3.05M and call it a day?

Spend that money in the CH/futures. You have to give the players INCENTIVE to win here. What is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow? Just a college degree? Or is the tour viable? Do you have to be as crazy as Johnny Groove to even attempt this?

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
NEW RECORDS BREAKING: US Open men's and women's singles champions will receive $3.3 million in prize money this year, a 10 percent boost over last year. Runner-ups will take home $1.6 million each with every player who makes the New York main draws of 128 assured at least $39,500. Wimbledon champions Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams each won $2.9 million last weekend while this year's Australian Open winners each made $2.5 million and the French Open champions each took $2 million.

How much do they get after taxation in USO, GB, France and Down Under ?

In USO and GB it is probably more than 30 %.

·
23,941 Posts
Winner getting over twice as much as RU :stupid:
This though. :spit: It's like everything that happened in a day is worth more than what happened within the 14 or so days. :lol: I guess you could say that tournaments double the prize amount of the RU for the W but still. An increase in the first round though?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
We think there can be no SPECIAL ONES after Federer Nadal and Djokovic are gone. Trust me. Who thought 8 years ago that Djokovic would rule tennis and have 9 slams to his name?

There will be MORE superstars to worship. There ALWAYS IS. Weve just been spoilt to have three super greats playing over the last 10 years.

Im old enough to remember Borg and Mcenroe. I used to wonder would there ever be players like them. Then came Becker and Lendl. Then Sampras and Agassi then Federer and Nadal. Djokovic crashed the party. And Murray did his bit and made history.

So you all think tennis gonna die when theyre gone. NOT A CHANCE. Right now there are teenage phenoms going through all that the rest went through in academys around the world.

In the next 5 years ONE OR TWO of them will serve notice on the world. That there are new powers in the game. You just wait and see.

·
Registered
894 Posts
A conspiracy to make sure Djokovic reaches $100m in career prize money before Federer!
Ironically the prize money was raised considerably due to Federer being the leader of players' representatives. He was the president until recently and I think starting from 2007-08? His goal was to divide earnings between organizers and players more fairly (meaning, that players should get more from the pot). Job well done Fed :worship:. On the other hand, Novak is the one profiting the most from the increase in earnings. :rocker2:

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Ironically the prize money was raised considerably due to Federer being the leader of players' representatives. He was the president until recently and I think starting from 2007-08? His goal was to divide earnings between organizers and players more fairly (meaning, that players should get more from the pot). Job well done Fed :worship:. On the other hand, Novak is the one profiting the most from the increase in earnings. :rocker2:
The money is pointless to Fed when he rake in 40M a year externally.

They dont need to increase the prize of GS winners anymore.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Runner up.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Runner up.
Russian runner up.

But yea, Djokovic sure picked a good time to start winning stuff, from top 5 records of yearly earnings from tournaments, his are top 2-5 (years 2011-14). The record was snatched in 2013 by Nadal: 14,5 million. Which can be easily surpassed this year if he plays like he does or wins USO. He already raked in 10 million this season. :drink:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts