Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hilarious match. Extreme clownery for two sets, but the servebot pusher waltzes into the final having outlasted yet another opponent. His stamina is excellent, gotta give him that. To Zverev's credit, he found strong serving rhythm after looking down and out, and made few DFs in the last three sets, but Busta also wilted mentally and physically as the match went on. His failure to protect his serve in order to make use of Zverev's serving lapses in sets 3 & 4 was fatal. Once Zverev finally felt confident, from mid-4th set onwards, he began to regularly hit the ball with aggressive intent and it was curtains for PCB, whose MTO before the final set had no effect. Quite a fitting spectacle in modern times, I say.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The tournament favourite marches on. Carreno was borderline unplayable in the first two sets but Sascha found a way to turn it around. What a champion.💪

·
Registered
61,330 Posts
Well, PCB has no one to blame but himself. Zverev was there for the taking in sets 3 and 4 (served amazing in set 5). Second time he's wasted a real chance at the USO final, this one even worse than the first.

As for Zverev, without the shadow of a doubt the lowest level I've ever seen en route to a Slam final. Unless he serves 80%, he's getting crushed by either Thiem or Medvedev.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Let's hope Medvedev and Thiem put on a better show than that. That was not a good advertisement for post-Big 3 tennis.

·
Your visions will happen
51,352 Posts
As bad as this match was it was not as bad as the Coric match which is really saying something

Hopefully Thiem and Med don't kill each other and can finish him off in the finals

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
13,123 Posts
Legend!!

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
MTF when Djokovic goes out: Yes! Best day ever!

MTF when Zverev lifts the title: Surprise Pikachu face

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
13,123 Posts
Legend!!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Zverev played much better from third set onwards, the best in this tournament but Djokovic would have won this match probably

·
Registered
19,417 Posts
Routine win

Reactions: NextGenKing

·
Premium Member
9,364 Posts
Congrats to Zverev for winning the plate.

·
Registered
27,321 Posts
Just what the doctor ordered for tennis' dwindling TV ratings.

·
Registered
22,571 Posts
I could make a joke about Mischa playing the first two sets, but it would be disrespectful to suggest he would have put in a performance that horrific

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I love your threadbotting, DinnerWarrior.

Zverev pretty much won because PCB ran out of gas after two sets. His stamina is horrible, but it wasn't surprising after he showed signs of physical struggle during Set 4 against Shapovalov. The winner of the Medvedev/Thiem match should easily beat Zverev given Zverev's low level of play.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm actually really happy for Zverev. Sure, his level has been low but he is trying --- his issue in the past was that he didn't try. Ferrer already working wonders.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts