Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
28,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tough loss for Milos, have to wonder if he didn't have that injury, but Isner is playing well. With no points to defend the rest of the season, have to wonder if Milos can finish the year in the top 10, he is only 230 points out of number 10 in the race with only Nishikori and Goffin ahead of him and still in the US Open.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Re: USO R4: J. Isner beats M. Raonic 36 63 64 46 62

This match wasn't as awful as I thought it would be. The slower courts definitely helped. But Milos still has that same losing mentality. So many poor choices in shot selection and bad serves at bad times. Isner was far more cluth in this regard.

·
28,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

A 5 set match between Milos and John with no tiebreaks
I posted stats about a month ago that Federer actually plays more tiebreaks than Milos does now. I'm not sure if that stat is still valid.

I just think that for a lot of people, it is easier to follow the narrative than to have an independent thought so that is why we hear so much about these tiebreaks with Milos.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts

Weirdest 5-set scoreline of all time for two serve-dominant players? Any examples of two other big servers with such tiebreak-less 5-set score (not even 7-5)?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts

For some reason these 85-88 guys have developed a bigger winning mentality over the 89-92 guys despite being the the big4 punching bag for years and years. Poor Milos, this is a wasted opportunity. HE did have a difficult draw though.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,629 Posts

Wut wo ist der tiebreaker?

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,335 Posts

Well done, big John. Your rather great year continues.
Retiring after winning a slam is cowardly.
It kind of isn’t, actually. Going out by winning a slam and calling it a day even though you just won a massive tournament is a fantastic way to end your career. It’s how I hope Roger ends his eventually. Going out with a massive bang.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts

Retiring after winning a slam is cowardly.

What do you suggest?? Retiring after a bunch of first round exits for multiple years in a row? Im sure Pete could have won another USO or two. Maybe sneak a Wimbledon title but he felt as he had nothing else to prove. He didn't know 3 guys would come along and overtake his slam count in 15 years

With nothing else to prove and no slam count left to chase may as well retire on top with a slam win

·
Registered
990 Posts

What do you suggest?? Retiring after a bunch of first round exits for multiple years in a row? Im sure Pete could have won another USO or two. Maybe sneak a Wimbledon title but he felt as he had nothing else to prove. He didn't know 3 guys would come along and overtake his slam count in 15 years

With nothing else to prove and no slam count left to chase may as well retire on top with a slam win
Even though I think this guy is a complete headcase I actually agree with him here, to retire when it's clear you still have the ability to win slams must be difficult, and I'd guess most players last match will be 1 of their most prominent memories whenever they look back on their career, you would much rather remember yourself lifting a trophy at the end of it than it being a feeble 1st round defeat vs someone you could have beat in your sleep in your prime.

·
Super Moderator
18,661 Posts

Milos will never ever be healthy enough to play two weeks straight Bo5. Same thigh issue as against Isner at Wimbledon.

·
Registered
57,598 Posts

Raonic was absolutely abysmal off the ground, even for him it's absolutely unacceptable to be outrallied by Isner.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts

Is it just me or did Raonic start picking up injuries far more often after he changed his diet? His injuries aren't all that serious but it's incredible his body can't withstand the whole tournament without picking up at least a minor injury. He should definitely look into his training regime and diet cause what's happening to him certainly isn't normal.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts