Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm being unfair but I thought Djokovic was just OK tonight. :shrug: He didn't attack nearly as much as he did in the 1st 2 rounds. The errors were just pouring off of Davy's racquet and Djokovic was solid enough from the baseline where he didn't have to really press.

·
Registered
29,199 Posts
Denko played a good second set but he was always in trouble on his service games due to his poor serve. Result was NID. Pretty boring match overall, but with a few nice rallies.

·
Premium Member
21,309 Posts
Davydenko was beating the crap out of the ball, saved many BPs :) Novak probably didn't play his best, but got it done in 3, can't complain :)

·
Faithful Txurigorri
24,903 Posts
I actually quite liked this match, there were some good rallies and a nice intensity through the whole affair.

The result was NID, but it was good to see Kolya fighting and keeping the scoreline respectable.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
That match has given me a lingering taste of dissatisfaction. Djokovic basically got balls back when he needed to. He didn;t apply much pressure on Davydenko but it wasn't really necessary. Davydenko just wasn't taking the ball as early as in his heyday and when he did he was spraying errors everywhere.

I'd like to say that Djokovic won't win the tournament playing like that but everyone else is dropping like flies so he might well get away with it. Next match-up vs Dolgopolov could be a good one if Dolgo keeps his head.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Maybe I'm being unfair but I thought Djokovic was just OK tonight. :shrug: He didn't attack nearly as much as he did in the 1st 2 rounds. The errors were just pouring off of Davy's racquet and Djokovic was solid enough from the baseline where he didn't have to really press.
That is what he said in the post match interview. He played too passive and did not have the feel on his baseline game.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Against Kolya Novak always play defensively, Kolya try and try, but at the end he accept inevitably.

Time to ruin the hype about Dolgo, who played one good match against odd player, and many jump on the wagon, like he has a chance...:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Both palyed poorly and the match was full of unforced errors. Devydenko still has a long way till he really come back.

Now, I'm pretty sure that Djokovic still has shoulder problem which hindered his forehand and particularly serve which was as low as 40 in the 2nd set. He's not going to win the title.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
routine for nole :)

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
People writing Djokovic off already? He didn't play that well in the beginning of Wimbledon and look at the result.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
The danger of sleepwalking through through the early rounds is that it lowers your game. Hopefully falcon gets some much needed competition next round.

Hope he incorporates the break dancing into his post match celebrations like Petkovic. If not, I think Tsonga edges him out with the thumbing and jumping.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
People writing Djokovic off already? He didn't play that well in the beginning of Wimbledon and look at the result.
I don't think people are writing him off. He can definitely raise his game....and it shows how good he is if he barely has to exert any effort to get such a convincing scoreline.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
That was an incredible depth from both of them. For those who will accuse Djokovic for being too passive: Davydenko was ultra aggressive and took over an initiative from the get go, so Djokovic was forced to defend and counter-punch at most, everything else would have been an attempt of ballbashing from bad positions.
Unfortunately, Denko's game was too much of a risky to be consistent over a longer period. It is obvious that Djokovic can not be rhythmically blown off the court by any pace or a placement from the baseline. Maybe some unorthodox game with sudden pace variations and placement changes to move him forward- backward instead of lateral or simply to wait for him to have a bad day.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
This was played at a hell of a pace! Serve seems to be a bit faster from nole tonight, or was it just me?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Remember the match against Baghdatis, it was a lot worse, many talked about "no any chance to win a Wimbledon" :cool:

I notice one thing, Novak change his style and ajust every opponent, if he is defensive, Novak hit a winners... Nadal, and many spanish players, Murray, Simon, Monfils, Monaco...is in that group. If he plays Tsonga, Davydenko, Berdych, Delpo...he rather plays good defence and wait for error, time when they start to miss, and then he step up.

Very smart tactic, and because of that, we cant espect in every match to rip his opponent with offensive game:)

·
Registered
995 Posts
Well, nothing special tonight, and some uncharacteristic errors, but overall too solid for Davydenko. But players do need one of these matches to just get the errors out of their system.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts