Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sousa is probably my favorite player left in the draw, but this is a depressing way for my favorite seeded player left in the draw to lose a ton of points with a very favorable path to at least 4R.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sousa is probably my favorite player left in the draw, but this is a depressing way for my favorite seeded player left in the draw to lose a ton of points with a very favorable path to at least 4R.
Your a PCB fan????? :cuckoo:

You might genuinely be the only one haha

·
Registered
57,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your a PCB fan????? :cuckoo:

You might genuinely be the only one haha
He seems like a genuinely nice guy, seen his interactions with fans, especially young ones, live, even in loss. Emotional and vocal player. He's got great touch. He's admittedly underpowered, but I enjoy his game in spite of that.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,631 Posts
Well done to Sousa as I rarely see him make it to R3 of a slam but he's had a few scalps over good players this year.

What happened to PCB that he had to retire? That's a lot of retirements in this slam.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
He has an issue with his thigh muscle that he picked up in Winston-Salem. By the end I think he was having trouble even walking and was down 2-0, so knew he had no way back (although against Sousa there is always a way)
He reached for a ball near the net at the end of the 4th set and went almost full splits, then stayed sat on the court for a while. Pretty sure that made it worse, took a long break after the 4th but it was visible something was wrong.

I don't get the hate for these 2 players, I watched the whole match and it was rather entertaining. Clean hitting from both, nice touch from PCB and some monster winners from Sousa at the end of 30+ shot rallies. You can dislike their play styles but nothing wrong with them as human beings and professional tennis players :smile2:

·
Registered
57,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also wonder if this match was an instance where the MTO hurt rather than helped. PCB looked vaguely hampered in the 4th, but clearly wasn't going to be able to finish from the start of the 5th after a very lengthy MTO, wonder if letting the adrenaline wear off a bit was a mistake.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,631 Posts
I also wonder if this match was an instance where the MTO hurt rather than helped. PCB looked vaguely hampered in the 4th, but clearly wasn't going to be able to finish from the start of the 5th after a very lengthy MTO, wonder if letting the adrenaline wear off a bit was a mistake.
I suspect he would have pulled out next rd had he somehow survived.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts