Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bizarre match. Seems like half the losses this tournament have been from blown two set leads, so it's nice to see Dolgo pull this one out in the end.

It was Dolgopolov v Cipolla since some people seem to be confused :rolleyes:

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
Re: USO R2: The Dog eats the Onion, 6-0, 7-5, 2-6, 5-7, 6-4

Don't think there's ever been a match as crazy as this one. Unbelievable.

·
Registered
12,577 Posts

Ughhh. Too bad for Cipolla....

·
Registered
9,005 Posts

Oh God, at least he won at the end...

·
Banned
18,509 Posts

More talented player won.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

I really wonder what happened here. Maybe someone that was there will fill us in, but just going by the livescore this seems like both players were tight.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts

Dolgo got word midway through the fifth that the 'investors' had pulled out

Reactions: TheBaker

·
Registered
26,797 Posts

Dolgopolov has to become more serious, more committed, more focused.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts

This must have been one of the most bizarre scorelines I've ever followed. Hopefully anyone who was there could tell what was going on.
Onion was up a break in that 5th set, he should have served it out, but whether he choked or that Dolgo really gave it his all... who knows.
Anyways, happy Dolgo came through!

·
Registered
12,617 Posts

At least he didn't lose this match. That would have been too much

·
Registered
14,627 Posts

Wow, Dolgo I think was down a break in the fifth wasn't he? I thought Cip was serving at 4-3 in the fifth with maybe a 30-0 lead. If i'm correct then quite impressive that Dolgo turned it around because he has been rather bad at comes back recently.

either way happy he made it through but very very hit and miss play and not a good sign considering DOlgopolov's opponent was not a particularly challenging one

·
Registered
29,419 Posts

Too close, Dolgo. :scared:

·
Registered
582 Posts

Cipolla started cramping at 4-1 in the 5th set.
Really lucky win at the end for Olek. But he can't lose the 4th set after he was ahead 4-1 40-30 on serve.
Broken 8 times by Cipolla. If he playes like this he has no chanche against Dr. Ivo who is playing really well.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts

Bizarre match. Seems like half the losses this tournament have been from blown two set leads, so it's nice to see Dolgo pull this one out in the end.
You know onion is poisonous for dogs, don't you? :lol:

·
Banned
21,935 Posts

massive upset avoided here and really a loss that would have been completely unacceptable on dolgo's part

im glad he got through this though because we have seen enough of those come back from 0-2 in sets losses

·
Registered
19,148 Posts

You know onion is poisonous for dogs, don't you? :lol:
You saying he'll be dead on court vs. Karlovic? :p

·
Registered
4,269 Posts

Every time I checked the livescore it seemed like something ridiculous was happening. :tape: I'm glad Dolgopolov managed to win it in the end.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts

what a great win by alex

This young guy has a great year.....

·
Registered
7,963 Posts

I was there from the third set on. I really thought dolgopolov was going to run away with this match, he was absolutely on fire in the first two sets from what i saw behind me. He really started spraying unforced errors in the third and fourth set, and I was telling my friend we should see karlovic vs. gasquet when he went up 4-1 in the fourth, and then the mugging errors began.

5th set, dolgo looked disinterested, hated the fact fans were using so much flash, couldn't put a first serve, spraying more errors. Went down 4-1, really dug deep in a cipolla service game and some questionable line calls went in dolgo's favor. They really need the challenge system on the outside courts i was on, so many terrible calls and crucial moments (starace vs. davydenko).

Cipolla is a great competitor and fought hard, but his backhand is too weak for the big guys. He matched up well with dolgo because they were just exchanging slice backhands, but a more powerful player would own him.

Great match, both players brought their best for the 5th.

·
Registered
12,577 Posts

I was there from the third set on. I really thought dolgopolov was going to run away with this match, he was absolutely on fire in the first two sets from what i saw behind me. He really started spraying unforced errors in the third and fourth set, and I was telling my friend we should see karlovic vs. gasquet when he went up 4-1 in the fourth, and then the mugging errors began.

5th set, dolgo looked disinterested, hated the fact fans were using so much flash, couldn't put a first serve, spraying more errors. Went down 4-1, really dug deep in a cipolla service game and some questionable line calls went in dolgo's favor. They really need the challenge system on the outside courts i was on, so many terrible calls and crucial moments (starace vs. davydenko).

Cipolla is a great competitor and fought hard, but his backhand is too weak for the big guys. He matched up well with dolgo because they were just exchanging slice backhands, but a more powerful player would own him.

Great match, both players brought their best for the 5th.
Thanks for the report, shame some bad calls might have affected the match.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts