that maybe his career day

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Great job Socky

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Gicquel was dreadful. Still a nice pickup win for the youngster.
The future of US tennis doesn't look so bad after all.
Harrison's a stud, Young's finding some success finally, Steve Johnson, and Sock with great showings here.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Oh the fun we will have with his name if he becomes a frequent resident of the tour.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I thought Sock was 18?
Great win for him but Gicquel was pretty bad. Sock did great on his serve games, he served big, came to the net, didn't play too passively. but Gicquel really gave him a lot, including that last game. Bad performance by Gicquel overall, but nobody really expected much from him. Sock looks like he can be a really good player in the future, his backhand really isn't that bad, and his forehand is pretty lethal at times. Great netplay from Sock, that's what surprised me

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Oh the fun we will have with his name if he becomes a frequent resident of the tour.
Just wait until Tennys Sandgren breaks into the top 100 :yeah:

Good tourney so far for young Americanos, Sock for the US, Popsicle for Canada. Maybe North American tennis isn't dead after all.

·
Registered
14,852 Posts
Gicquel is finished player, so this is a normal result.

Still a great win for youngster.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
GREAT for the game :worship:

Dedicated to Filo V :)

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought Sock was 18?
Great win for him but Gicquel was pretty bad. Sock did great on his serve games, he served big, came to the net, didn't play too passively. but Gicquel really gave him a lot, including that last game. Bad performance by Gicquel overall, but nobody really expected much from him. Sock looks like he can be a really good player in the future, his backhand really isn't that bad, and his forehand is pretty lethal at times. Great netplay from Sock, that's what surprised me
yes, you right, he's 18... and will turn 19 next month

·
Registered
22,645 Posts
Jack and the beanSock:worship:

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts

·
Banned
22,409 Posts
I wonder if some really watched the match

gicquel played okay, he isn't the player he once was but fought hard
played a great 3rd set, until the middle of the 4th when he led 3-1
then he couldn't maintain his level and sock turned it around

sock played very solid during the first two sets, did what was necessary at the end of the match

if someone writes here that gicquel was "pretty bad, dreadful" then half of the R1 losers are dreadful...

·
Registered
13,393 Posts

·
MONSOON season.
82,285 Posts
To be fair, Gicque has no business playing in the main draw of a Grand Slam at the moment. He's struggling to string together wins in mediocre Challengers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts