Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a match, lol. Mug/chokefest of the highest order. Zverev was playing like 100% servebot pusher with bouts of doublefaultitis for 80% of the match. Up 6-1 4-2, Coric appeared to have him on the ropes only to play absolutely terrible on big points missing the easiest attacking shots, goaded by Zverev's rediscovered pushbot consistency, and that was just enough to see him over the finish line into a second straight slam SF. Legendary stuff. My mind is bleeding from having watched through this.

·
Registered
19,064 Posts
Well, I summarized it a set and 3/4 in.

Coric cannot attack at this level, Zverev did not dare to. Pushfest all night, Zverev more passive and further back, but Coric unable to take advantage of it.

Normally I‘d say Zverev can flip the switch, but he seems to impaired mentally to suddenly play good enough to beat Thiem or Medvedev, even if his R2 was really strong.

Reactions: SetPointDown

·
Registered
19,480 Posts
Zverev was atrocious in 1st set, couldn't serve, couldn't hold, couldn't hit his groundstrokes.
Then Coric bottled 2 TBs and mugged around in the final set, as Zverev at least improved in his service games and picked up some pace also in rallies.

All in all a terrible level for a slam QF.

Reactions: Servebots=GOAT

·
10,888 Posts
Yes Slamrev!!!!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
This match gave me cancer. Zverev is nothing special, pushing like there is no tomorrow with that height and serve. His serve was the huge difference in this match and came to the rescue many times, including many gambling 1st-serve 2nd serves that I really hate. He was rock solid in the tiebreaks.

Coric though, what a useless mug. He lost the match that he should have won in straights in 4. That game that he hit 3 worst FHs ever at 0-40, is iconic. Shat his pants at the most important moments in the match.

Shapovalov’d better get to the final. It’s a must, I’m not kidding.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts