Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally a highly entertaining match. Pretty high quality stuff throughout the first three sets. Shapovalov started out on fire dominating Busta with highlght reel tennis, but lost serving consistency afterwards and Busta gradually increased pressure. Shapo fought hard it to tiebreak despite serving struggles, but PCB was too clutch with strong all-around game including two aces to finish it off. For a while Shapovalov seemed lost, but re-energised himself after going down a break and eventually forced another tiebreak, but failed that one tactically. However, he responded with an excellent start to the fourth set, and Busta ended up tanking from 0-3 down to receive an MTO at the changeover between sets. In the decider, Busta's superior experience/resilience saw him through as Shapovalov DFed on BP. A worthy Slam QF, this one.

Special mention of Shapo's volleying, greatly improved from yesteryear's erratic idiosyncrasy. Many cool net points no one else in south of 30 could reliably repeat. His lefty serve+volley is a highly potent combination, once he fixes serving consistency it'd lend him a great service game.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Until Shapo can figure out how to beat a grinder, he's not getting any decent results any time soon. Case in point for this guy, attempting a jumpshot winner on a crucial point is basically a microcosm of everything he is doing wrong. Also, he needs to improve the service motion. Dudes gonna throw out his back in 2 years.

Anyways, props to busta. Could forsee him winning the tourney if he meets Thiem on an off-day.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Entertaining match, Shapovalov was good at net but he was just too erratic on the baseline after the first set, PCB deserved the win with his consistent baselining. This is probably the best possible result for Zverev, a 4-hour match with PCB coming out a bit hampered, he has to seize the chance to make his maiden GS final.

·
Registered
59,878 Posts
I'm maybe biased since I like PCB, but I'm pretty sure that MTO was legit. He was letting second serves go by him down a single break in the 4th, he didn't move well at all in either the 4th or 5th, and probably most significantly his return stance was completely changed from his normal one to a basically vertical one.

Better player won every set really. 2nd and 3rd should have been easier for PCB. In the 5th, Shapovalov seemed to realize PCB wasn't moving very well and try to play (even) more aggressive, and just wound up missing everything. PCB was really slapping the ball at the end, trying to avoid long rallies, but quite a few went in.

If that was anything more than cramps (which I'm not totally sure of, it could have been), I think Zverev will probably be getting a very easy SF, if it finishes at all.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I feel like the better player lost but still Shapo lacks variety and can´t control the pace in ros, he also should change pace and play with more top, he´s always aiming right above the net and to the lines and has too many ue. His net game was impressive though.

·
Registered
22,153 Posts
Terrible. I didn’t watch the first few sets but the bits that I watched, mainly half of the 3rd set and last 2 sets, this match was pretty bad. And really tragic to see Shapovalov bottle such a winnable match to make his first grand slam SF... ffs clown

·
Premium Member
11,757 Posts
Shapovalov must be pissed....

Poor PCB had a hurt back and all of the sudden was running balls down like a rabbit in 5th set...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Very even match. Disappointing to see Shapovalov give away so much, as compared to the very best we regularly watch.
Regardless, this match didn't produce a us open winner...neither of these guys can compete with a few of those left in the draw.

·
Premium Member
29,533 Posts
First 3 sets were pretty high quality, last 2 were poor.

Feels like the match was decided in the third set TB, when Shapo had 4-3 and then lost 4 straight points to gift the set.
Shapo did get an easy 4th set as PCB tanked, but simply couldn't keep the focus in the fifth. PCB's energy made a miraculous comeback and he won the 5th kind of comfortably.

I'm just annoyed I have to watch PCB's annoying face for at least one more match. I hope Zverev gets his shit together for the SF.

Reactions: ism and teamthiem

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,605 Posts
Shapovalov hot and cold. Hot very hot, but the cold came at the worst times for him really. PCB got through on determination and superior experience. Feels kinda weird one of PCB and Zverev will be in a GS final. That Djokovic DQ really ruffled the draw.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I’m fucking furious. Really thought this would be a breakthrough major for that Canadian rapper. Especially after Djokovic got defaulted to gift him an easier opponent. The way he served in set 2 and 3 are fucking embarrassing, at least Zverev were gambling and going for his 2nd serves. The way he played those 2 tiebreaks. The way he felt so pumped to get all those unnecessary breaks in the 4th set for nothing. The way he folded like a fucking cheap tent in the final set, as expected seriously. How fucking erratic you could really feel it coming. I’m just disappointed. And it’s noon in my country, I still have not slept after watching the shitfest 1st QF. Jesus I seriously hate tiebreaks, fuck them.

And PCB is extremely injured. Insert Maria Sharapova gif.

·
justice for all
16,802 Posts
Watched only the last set. Denis was quite erratic with loads of UE-s, visibly tired after playing so many matches in singles and doubles. Pablo was keeping his cool and playing OK. Missed opportunity for Denis but to me PCB is a worthy SF-list after he eliminated Djokovic and now survived Shapo. So congrats to him!
Don’t know how serious is his injury but as opposed to what most say I don’t think his SF vs Zverev is a done deal. He has a shot for the final.

·
F***ing have it
17,638 Posts
Told ya :pJust because he's not a diva or an overhyped next gen most people don't like him. Great play. At every level you win matches by putting the ball on the other side of the court and not making mistakes. He was good today

1 - 20 of 196 Posts