Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be biased but this is how I honestly felt. After the Djokovic default I actually felt really excited for the USO, there was this sense of unpredictability and uncertainty that felt refreshing. The quality of the USO final wasn’t good, because both players were nervous as fuck, but their final was way more entertaining to watch than the NID one sided RG final we got few days ago. It was a very tight competitive match and was full of drama.

I know this something the big 3 fans refuse to hear, I’m a big 3 fan myself as a Federer fan, but aren’t they pretty much killing the competitive nature of tennis at this point. RG felt so boring throughout to me, especially after the draw and with Gaston tiring Thiem out I knew the djokodal final was set in stone with turn out to be a flop which I was semi-expecting. Djokodal don’t even have the decency to have a good match outside of grass these days, I don’t understand people who still crave for this dreadful matchup now, it’s no longer 2013. They haven’t had a competitive match on HC since 2013 and on clay since 2014 ffs. It’s a joke for what many people consider to be the greatest rivalry of all time.

My point is, the big 3 have to go and be displaced as soon as possible, it really is time. The slams are getting stale, tennis needs fresh blood. We saw bits of it in the USO and personally I would be pretty happy if we got more of that than the boring usual crap we got in RG, if you ask me. But yes of course I would agree that seeing the big 3 actually be beaten fair and square in the slams is a better prospect than seeing them skip/get defaulted like in the USO to add more legitimacy to the title.

·
Premium Member
21,467 Posts
USO has been the most unpredictable slam, not just this year but for the last 10 years or so. If we got (fresh) Thiem vs some mug at RG final, I'm pretty sure it would've been easy three sets for Dominic.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
The USO seemed a bit fake. As McEnroe said, it only took a plague, DQ, WD and serious injury to hand useless Gen a slam lol. Lets just enjoy the Big 3 for as long as possible, they're breaking down gradually as it is ffs.

·
Registered
337 Posts
RG is usually terrible because the winner is NID. This year, with the different conditions, at least for a moment it actually wasn't crazy to think we might actually have a different winner, giving the tournament some much needed suspense. So, RG was actually pretty good and I preferred it to the USO right up until the final.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Agree with post #5 (although final itself was rather surprising as well). RG with these conditions had a fair amount of unpredictability, even if the winner ended up demonstrating his strength once more. RG was more entertaining to me. Don't remember USO matches much anymore apart from Zverev's final two.

edit. Oh yeah, Pospisil had a surprising run at USO.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
a hyperev-tard fangirling over a slam final featuring hyperev, while the quality was beyond pathetic. what else is new? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Both RG and USO were pretty low quality with few interesting matches, difficult to chose which was worse. It can only get better from here.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I think although the final was one sided it was still an important match in tennis history and I'm looking forward to more battles for the slam record race.

And I enjoyed the Djokovic Tsitsipas battle. More next-gen vs big 3 battles in late stages of slams is another thing I look forward to.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
RG was more entertaining - Gaston v. Wawrinka, Gaston v. Thiem, Thiem v. Schwartzman, PCB v. RBA, PCB v. Djokovic, Sinner v. Zverev, Rafa v. Sinner, Tsitsipas v. Djokovic, and Rafa's clinical finish v. Djokovic, to name a few.

USO also had entertaining matches, Coric v. Tsitsipas, PCB v. Djokovic until default, PCB v. Zverev, Zverev v. Thiem, etc., but RG was more entertaining to me, personally.

Did anyone see players using more drop shots (and also lobs) at any other tournament than this year's RG? It requires decision-making skills, finesse, balance, composure, control, etc. The novel way of winning rallies. I never did.

·
Banned
5,793 Posts
No.

I find all majors highly entertaining for diverse reasons, regardless of Big3. To me this USO was quite thrilling but no significantly more -or less- so than any other.

·
3,402 Posts
Totally agreed. MTF tards are forever trapped in a 2013 mindset lol. Prime Djokodal is long gone. They're only well matched on grass. How can anyone enjoy 2019 AO final or 2020 RG final? Sure, the level of the winner was high, but there was absolutely no drama or entertainment value. Many of the matches before this year's RG final were good though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My personal opinion is it felt entertaining because guys outside big 3 are just too leveled in their performance. But for me it is like WTA tennis and you have bunch of results like 6:3 1:6 6:2 and that is not a sign of good tennis for me. I like their superiority and mutual pushing to results of historic significance.

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
This is the first time I have seen Cloren essaybotting

·
Super Moderator
12,332 Posts
There is something to be said for not knowing who will win, where we have a pretty good idea when Djokovic or Nadal are playing .

I prefer clay and RG over any event, it’s not all about the SF and F matches, the early rounds always have great battles and many more upsets then the other GS’s

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Nah not really it was about the same IMO. Zverev reaching the final was also kinda predictable after Djokovic went out. And his matches with Coric (mugfest for the ages) and PCB (5 sets, but all of them were NID) were also pretty dull bespite looking competitive on paper. In the bottom half it was always gonna be Thiem or Medvedev.

As far as the matches go. Djokovic-Tsitsipas was by far the best match in either of the tournaments. Thiem-Zverev was comparable to Thiem-Schwartzman and then you got some pretty high quality but ultimately one-sided matches like Thiem-Medvedev and Djokovic-PCB. PCB-Shapo was decent but nothing special for a 5-setter.

Also a lot of MTF experts predicted Thiem to easily win the final, whereas Nadal-Djokovic was actually supposed to be more even so you can't say RG felt more NID than USO.

This is the first time I have seen Cloren essaybotting
PopCon is getting closer 😁

1 - 20 of 37 Posts