Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was it sexist for Allison Hughes to hit Nole with a time violation warning facing break point at 1-3 in the third set?

In all seriousness, was she being too lenient prior to the warning despite the crowd’s conduct? I thought she had a couple opportunities to give the warning before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
She was very lenient, that warning should have come in the first set already. It didn't really influence the outcome of the match at all, but if you have a shot clock you need to enforce it. I feel that umpires are (understandably) scared of giving warnings for this during big matches, but they shouldn't be.

·
Registered
103 Posts
In all seriousness, was she being too lenient prior to the warning despite the crowd’s conduct? I thought she had a couple opportunities to give the warning before.
No, the crowd was terrible and he was starting his service motions at zero.

I think that the idiotic crowd helped Djokovic with their ole-ole chanting in the 8th game of the second set. Djokovic could play great defense and prolong the points and then have a 30+ seconds break due to chanting, even more after a missed first serve.

In general, they stopped Delpo getting into a rhythm and created a succession of points with long pauses, a situation more useful to Djokovic. They also made it harder for the umpire to punish Djokovic for taking more than 25 seconds between points and their stupid cheering of missed first serves gave Djokovic even more time to focus.

Unlike this match, i feel like the 2015 crowd was less jubilant and more hostile to Djokovic. They cheered for Federer loud, but without long chanting, so he had his usual service games, and they welcomed Djokovic mistakes louder but shorter.

The officials should have issued a warning to the crowd and started throwing 5-10 people after each of the first few games and we wouldn't have this crap between points and second serves because people would only cheer between games. I wonder what would Ramos do?:grin2:

Also, the shot clock is a bad idea, players have one more thing to think about and slow servers will milk every second even if they don't need it just for practice. It seems to me that they could've turned of the clock and Djokovic would still start his motion at zero. Economist or WSJ had an article about how it [the shotclock introduction] was backfiring.

·
Registered
14,394 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
She could not penalize him for simply waiting until the audience settled down a bit. That would not have been according to good practice. The shot clock does not measure movements and decibels around the court. It's a well-known fact that servers are affected by sound and movement, so it would have been insane to expect Djokovic to follow the clock in such conditions.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It didn't really influence the outcome of the match at all, but if you have a shot clock you need to enforce it.
I put it that there is absolutely no way to assert this. Nole was definitely pinching for time...and being reckless on 1st serves so that he could either ace or use the 2nd to take another 15 second breather. If you have the on-court clock it has to be used more strictly I feel...and they need to come up with a solution to people taking so long between first and second, it was a bit of a joke. If you don't legislate, these guys will just take advantage.

Anyway, you can bet your bottom dollar that the umpire was briefed to make the match flow with absolutely minimal controversy after the previous day's shitshow! :)

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
She was very lenient and it was sexist! LOL Women are less likely to penalize than men, and probably less likely to penalize men.
I'm only half kidding.

Djok bounces the ball like 30 times between his serves.
I bet you would find his total serve time is more than Nadal's, given how long he takes for the 2nd.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I think that the idiotic crowd helped Djokovic
It doesn't work like that. They were disrupting concentration of servers and no breather can make up for that.
Delpo broke back in 2 set solely on crowd 's yelling and making Djokovic nervous. Only thing they maybe helped Novak a little was that they were sometimes yelling during Delpo's serve because they're clueless on how to support tennis player.
The officials should have issued a warning to the crowd and started throwing 5-10 people after each of the first few games and we wouldn't have this crap between points and second serves because people would only cheer between games. I wonder what would Ramos do?:grin2:
Not a bad idea. Maybe it would happen if they were disrupting Federer or home favorite.
Ramos would issue TV warnings to Novak without lenience for crowd's yelling disruptions. He's a brainless bureaucrat. Novak also said in his presser that he messed up women's final. :O

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Yes.

Yes.

Nole took way too long also for his 2nd serve. There should be a rule for that soon.
Such a BS :spit:

You conveniently ignored hundreds of vocal Argentinian fans taking 10s of seconds going crazy between points. I feel umpire made a great adjustment. She did let Nole get away with time violations several times (for example, on 6:4 in 2nd set TB he took something like 5 seconds after the clock expired), but it would be very unfair to do otherwise. I also felt she started the clock very late several times on purpose.

TBH, I felt she was pissed off for stupid crowd constantly ignoring her warnings and decided to let Nole take as much time as he wants because of that. >:)

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Nole took way too long also for his 2nd serve. There should be a rule for that soon.
when you see a Rafatard bitching about shot clock rules not being implemented, you know the end is near lmfao

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
First of all I only saw a little part of the match so I won't comment on that.

I did see Djokovic taking quite a bit of time between serves. As far as I know, there isn't a clear rule atm for time between serves. I think it should be created. 5 seconds or so after ballboy retrieves ball seems alright as a first thought.

As for the spectator noise, I'm a bit torn on wether that should be factored in. It will again blur the lines (when is it loud enough to be a factor etc), but I understand normally tennis is played under fairly quiet conditions and also feel this is appropriate. Really not sure how to handle that.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I would love to see your crybaby player being heckled on serve, how would he react? He would dump every single one in to the net I guess.

On first sight of greater and louder support to other player (seen in Cincinati he gets mad and got code violation)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts